• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 drawn out HG swap, and I don?t remember where things go.

Steve Beswick

1994 940

I have a head gasket swap that went from a weekend to many weeks due to other stuff. Now I can?t figure out a couple things, so I am here to ask for help.

#1. There is a large black hose I can?t figure out. I thought it attached to a ?black can? on the side of the block, but that doesn?t leave anywhere reasonable I can find to put the other end, which is huge. It is zip tied to the dipstick. I have put a photo of it in google drive, the link is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fQOQW_Vc8mhRgdUy2-JVFrNCngDQFO2F/view?usp=drivesdk

#2. Is there a general vacuum hose chart somewhere? There is a vacuum nipple on the intake manifold that I can?t find a match for.

#3. One of upper heat shield bolts broke off in the manifold. Is the upper heat shield just there for the intake heater hose, or is it there for other reasons as well? I?m trying to judge my willingness to drill the bolt out before I reinstall the manifold. I am not good at drilling bolts out.

TIA for any help you can provide.

GR-61781.jpg

#1. The big end of the large black hose goes on the flame trap. The small end goes to a nipple on the intake hose.

#2. The small flame trap hose (#8) goes to the nipple on the intake manifold.

#3. The heat shield/hot air duct is only used when it's cold. The thermostat in the air filter box is supposed to shut off the hot air from the heat stove.

If you're not comfortable drilling the broken bolt bring the manifold to a local repair shop and have them do it for you. Where in So Cal are you? My shop is in Torrance.

GR-61781.jpg

#1. The big end of the large black hose goes on the flame trap. The small end goes to a nipple on the intake hose.

#2. The small flame trap hose (#8) goes to the nipple on the intake manifold.

#3. The heat shield/hot air duct is only used when it's cold. The thermostat in the air filter box is supposed to shut off the hot air from the heat stove.

If you're not comfortable drilling the broken bolt bring the manifold to a local repair shop and have them do it for you. Where in So Cal are you? My shop is in Torrance.

Thank you so much for sharing that diagram! I was totally lost on how it goes together, as I had forgotten about the part the hose and vacuum line hooks into. As soon as I looked at it, I stared down into the big box o? parts on the ground, and all became clear.

I have been working on it at my in-laws house, as my driveway is dirt, and theirs is concrete. I was working on drilling out the bolt, when my FIL got involved. Long story short, the hole is ever-so-slightly off center, and tapped to 5/16. Honestly it?s fine with me, considering the nature of its purpose. I was the one that chose the tap.

Back