• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sound dampening recommendations

holdenjp

I'm replacing all the carpet front to back in my 245 wagon and I need suggestions for sound dampening to put in while everything is out of the way.

Roofing tape from Home Depot is cheap.

Window flashing is cheap too, less smelly since is butyl instead of asphalt, bad thing is its thin, so 2 or 3 layers. Just did a friends nova. 3 rolls at 12$ each and interior sound went from ~100db (open headers, no interior) to ~70 db at idle.

I used RAAMmat on my brother's 242 and it worked very well to cut down on interior noise. It's also a lot cheaper than equivalent dynamat. It doesn't give off any smell and is pretty easy to work with.

"Package #2" (http://www.raamaudio.com/package-2-...56-25-sq-ft-and-4-1-2-yards-of-ensolite-foam/) was enough to cover the entire floor, firewall, rear seatback, parcel shelf, doors, and parts of the areas under the rear "door cards."

Dynamat is the best, by far.

Karl is correct, though, that RAAMmat is a great deal less expensive, and almost as good.

I have used Dynamat several times on different cars, and it has always worked great!

Dave Riedle

I'm going to try this. Eastwood is my go-to since they're 15 min from my Parents house and offer great products across the board.

Great. Let me know how you like it. I'm planning on doing mine in the next month or two but obviously don't want to spend hours for a poor result.

Another vote for Raammat. I used to sell and install car audio in the mid-90's and have been into it ever since. Used pretty much all of the brand name stuff, including dynamat, accumat, etc. Raam is by far the best value. If you couple it with some of his ensolite closed cell foam and some mlv you will have a VERY quiet car.

-Ben

I used RAAMmat on my brother's 242 and it worked very well to cut down on interior noise. It's also a lot cheaper than equivalent dynamat. It doesn't give off any smell and is pretty easy to work with.

"Package #2" (http://www.raamaudio.com/package-2-...56-25-sq-ft-and-4-1-2-yards-of-ensolite-foam/) was enough to cover the entire floor, firewall, rear seatback, parcel shelf, doors, and parts of the areas under the rear "door cards."

This is what I used and I was very happy with it. I did pieces of it on the entire inside of my 242 including the roof. I read a test where 50% coverage with RAAMmat was more effective then 100% coverage with peel-n-seal style roofing products.

09sOhrD.jpg

That took a ton of the drum out of the panels. Then I did a 100% coverage layer of the floor of the car with Frost King duct insulation, which is a foil backed closed cell foam. Thought being this would be my noise layer.

DF4CSAe.jpg

The underside of my car has no undercoating/is painted so when I was first driving it I could hear every grain of sand hit underneath, this all made a huge difference. The RAAM is nice stuff.

Also my favorite tip I picked up was to wad up some butyl rope and jam it between the support beam and the outer door skin. The difference in the sound when closing the door was so impressive.

fVpW08t.jpg

Another vote for Raammat. I used to sell and install car audio in the mid-90's and have been into it ever since. Used pretty much all of the brand name stuff, including dynamat, accumat, etc. Raam is by far the best value. If you couple it with some of his ensolite closed cell foam and some mlv you will have a VERY quiet car.

-Ben

Anyone have any feedback on heat reduction with RAAMat?

wow looks good. i need this in my 144. not much from the factory and even less left now.

did you find any issues re-installing the interior? mostly carpet

This is what I used and I was very happy with it. I did pieces of it on the entire inside of my 242 including the roof. I read a test where 50% coverage with RAAMmat was more effective then 100% coverage with peel-n-seal style roofing products.

09sOhrD.jpg

That took a ton of the drum out of the panels. Then I did a 100% coverage layer of the floor of the car with Frost King duct insulation, which is a foil backed closed cell foam. Thought being this would be my noise layer.

DF4CSAe.jpg

The underside of my car has no undercoating/is painted so when I was first driving it I could hear every grain of sand hit underneath, this all made a huge difference. The RAAM is nice stuff.

Also my favorite tip I picked up was to wad up some butyl rope and jam it between the support beam and the outer door skin. The difference in the sound when closing the door was so impressive.

fVpW08t.jpg

Back