home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
ovlov21
Board Member

Default Ovlov Gp-A 240T update

The www.ovlov.net Gp-A 240T is finally, after 6 years of restoration and locating original Gp-A components, performing to its potential in Historic Touring Car events in Australia.

The final breakthrough was with the help of John Vanlandingham locating a suitable T3 A/R 0.63 turbine housing. The current motor also has John’s beautiful H-beam rods and flat-top pistons.

The dyno run before our last race meeting was somewhat puzzling, as we couldn’t get the boost we expected. Winding up the boost control valve just increased inlet air temp. Later at the track the reason for this became evident when Gerry McCarthy, my tuner and great supporter (A Class Automotive, Revesby) identified a hair-line crack in the intercooler side tank welding.

My mechanic Scott Fleming, the Rev Doctor, in return for his great work in setting up the car was entered as Driver for the Gp-C/A Historic Touring Car support races for the Bathurst Mt Panorama 12-Hour event 4-6 February 2011.

Easter 2010 at Bathurst I did a best lap of 2min 45sec in the 240T. This time, Scotty did 2.42 then 2.40 in practice; 2.37 in Qualifying (4th place in a 19-car field) and a best time of 2.35 in Race 2.

See http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...6/02/2011.MOUN for race results.

Improvements over the weekend were due to Scotty’s changes to front bar stiffness, revalving of the Bilsteins (increased rebound stiffness F+R) by the ontrack Bilstein technicians in their little airconditioned van, and fine-tuning tire pressures.

Overall the 240T finished the meeting equal 1st on points in Gp-A. Fantastic result.

Good video of Race 2 from a Gp-A BMW which was dicing with the Volvo at times is on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B8FZh9bQts

My thanks to John Vanlandingham, Gerry McCarthy and Scott Fleming for helping me realise the dream of getting the Volvo 240T back to the front of Gp-A racing in Australia. With this year the 25th Anniversary of Robbie Francevic’s ATCC victory in the 240T I have invited Robbie over from New Zealand to drive the car at Muscle Car Masters at Sydney’s Eastern Creek raceway in September 2011.

Dick Prince
ovlov21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
GT_Paul
Elephant in the room

Well done everyone. nice work!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
pwschuh
Rolling...

Awesome news Dick. Thanks for the update. Love to see some videos featuring your car.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
towerymt
the real Towery

Nice video...looks like a fun, and challenging track to drive fast. The driver looked a bit timid at some points, but I could understand not needing to run flat out for that type of race. Not a wide track either.

What are the specs on the 240 engine? Flat tops...really? How does the dyno sheet look?
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Mueller
Board Member

Congrats..
Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
klr142
Turbo, what?

Fun stuff and great looking car! I'm also interested in the dyno sheets, of course.

Are you limited in the tire/wheel size you can run? The Volvo looked like it was a little skimpy in width compared to some of those other cars.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
varg
kludgemeister

Nice work. That is a beautiful 242. I am inspired by the water injection system on the 740, it is similar to what I am musing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
What are the specs on the 240 engine? Flat tops...really? How does the dyno sheet look?
Yes, numbers please.

'85 244DL B21FT swap (gone ), ->Project thread
'91 E30 318is, M20 swapped, turbocharged. project in progress.
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Yes, numbers please.
Including curves.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
ovlov21
Board Member

Default 240T Gp-A engine specs

It's pretty simple really:
B21FT block, standard crankshaft.
JVAB H-beam rods and flat-top pistons, bore 92.5mm.
531 head, CNC machined to unshroud the valves, CC vol 60cc
Standard valves 44mm inlet 35mm exhaust
Cometic head gasket 1mm, CR 8.5:1
T3/T4 turbo turbine A/R 0.63, compressor A/R 0.60, plain bearing oil cooled cartridge.
91+ turbo exhaust manifold (same as original Gp-A homologated manifold) with EGT probe.
Deepened, baffled sump.
Gr-A T5 camshaft.
K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection (one of the original 34 sets built by Bosch)
K-Jet mechanical injectors with Porsche 930 Turbo tips, flowing over 600cc/min at 5 Bar fuel system pressure.
Motec M4 ECU controlling K-Jet control pressure (and hence A/F ratio) and spark timing.
B230FT inlet manifold, 54mm dia throttle body.
Custom intercooler in front of standard radiator.
Twin 9-row oil coolers below radiator.

I'm not currently running water injection.

Due to split in the intercooler we didn't get a good graph from the last dyno session. I would say it is now making around 300RWHP at 18psi boost. We will confirm soon, and post the dyno chart when available. On the track, it's not just about HP. It's about setup, power down, spring rates, shock settings, tire pressures, camber, F/R brake bias - most of these are independent of RWHP!

At the Bathurst meeting, Scotty had the quickest split times across the top of the Mountain, where no car is full throttle all the way! As he says, some drivers have a lot of talent in a straight line.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
klr142
Turbo, what?

Very cool. What about the tire sizes/limitations? Are you guys able to go wider there?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
ovlov21
Board Member

Default 240T wheels/tires

We are currently running 16x8 rims with 220-600/16 Dunlop slicks. We are able to run 16x9 rims, but there is little available in Australia in larger 16" slicks, so we will move to 16x9 rims with the 200-600/16 slicks, to get good tire ****** on the rims. This is equivalent to putting negative camber on the rear axle - the tires lean out of the turn, loading up the outside of the tread, making it easy to get uniform tire temps across the section.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
klr142
Turbo, what?

Nice nice. Are most of the other people in the video running 16x9 then with that tire?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #13
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov21 View Post
Due to split in the intercooler we didn't get a good graph from the last dyno session. I would say it is now making around 300RWHP at 18psi boost. We will confirm soon, and post the dyno chart when available. On the track, it's not just about HP. It's about setup, power down, spring rates, shock settings, tire pressures, camber, F/R brake bias - most of these are independent of RWHP!
Very true. The numbers don't matter so much, just the shape of the curve. It really makes the car nice to drive if it's strong throughout the rev range.

If you'd like to share more details about the car setup, we'd love to hear about it. I have a few ideas about what I like when setting up a 240, but I know there are different ways to get to the same end result.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
stylngle2003
Board Member

great to hear from you Dick, I have always liked the way you build your race cars.
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
stylngle2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
ovlov21
Board Member

Default Engine specs

I forgot to mention in the engine specs above, that we have the "Gp-A canals" - the extra 5 holes drilled in the head as shown at http://www.240grupp-a.se/eng_site/motor.htm

This plus blanking off the water pump inlet to the front of the head totally stabilised on track coolant tempatures.
Dick Prince
Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #16
CT
Really?????

Great to see you on TB Dick, thru an article in Zoom many years ago with your 740T you were the one of the reasons i looked at Turbo Volvo's for the 1st time...

Glad to see the 240T is going great guns now
CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #17
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
It's pretty simple really:
B21FT block, standard crankshaft.
JVAB H-beam rods and flat-top pistons, bore 92.5mm.
531 head, CNC machined to unshroud the valves, CC vol 60cc
Standard valves 44mm inlet 35mm exhaust
Cometic head gasket 1mm, CR 8.5:1
T3/T4 turbo turbine A/R 0.63, compressor A/R 0.60, plain bearing oil cooled cartridge.
91+ turbo exhaust manifold (same as original Gp-A homologated manifold) with EGT probe.
Deepened, baffled sump.
Gr-A T5 camshaft.
K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection (one of the original 34 sets built by Bosch)
K-Jet mechanical injectors with Porsche 930 Turbo tips, flowing over 600cc/min at 5 Bar fuel system pressure.
Motec M4 ECU controlling K-Jet control pressure (and hence A/F ratio) and spark timing.
B230FT inlet manifold, 54mm dia throttle body.
Custom intercooler in front of standard radiator.
Twin 9-row oil coolers below radiator.

I'm not currently running water injection.

At the Bathurst meeting, Scotty had the quickest split times across the top of the Mountain, where no car is full throttle all the way! As he says, some drivers have a lot of talent in a straight line.
I am surprised none of the K-jet people have asked about this...
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
JohnLane
Board Member

Well done Dick and congratulations!

Have fun with it and please report back with tales of daring-do!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
gear whine
advocate of k-jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
i personally am going to try the unwired tools utcis-pt

but it would be nice to see how he has it set up, considering it actually works!

ive always loved this car. great inspiration.
For Life.
gear whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
msweeney
Board Member

That's pretty sweet, nice work! This is actually the long term plan for my 242. It probably won't be smog-able in two years, so I've started talking to some of the folks at HMSA about what class they'd put a Group A car in. Your site has some good info for me!

Mike

1975 245 - In progress: B230F swap, Holset HX35, SVS top mount header, MSII, T5, other stuff...
msweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
****, I'm not even a K-Jet guy and I would love to hear more about how that Motec is wired to the control pressure.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #22
egads
n00b

Wow, just wow! I would love to hear pretty much anything more about this car and how it does. So coooool
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
ovlover
Board Member

Good work mate. Seen the car in person and it looks awsome. Keep up the awsome work!!!!
ovlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Volvo244GLE
Board Member

Any plans to race at Eastern Creek again? or even Bathurst? It would be awesome to come see the car in action.

244GLE Project - The fun daily driver. Rebuilt B23, ported 405, 37.5 exh. valves, BMW oil squirter's, MS2e, VX3 cam, King Springs, Bilstein HD's, upper+lower chassis braces, 26mm Falcon front sway bar, 21+19=24mm rear sway bar, SAAS bucket seats, hi flow rear muffler, almost every factory option.

164 Project - The impulse buy

242GT Project - who likes rust?
Volvo244GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #25
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
This plus blanking off the water pump inlet to the front of the head totally stabilized on track coolant temperatures.
Dick Prince
I haven't heard of this previously, what's the thought process behind it? Thanks!