home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #126
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
What's your check engine light say? What if you put in a quality BOV?
Something about the tps not being properly adjusted.

Well thats the thing. If i spend 200 bucks on a good bov and it works, then sweet. If i spend 200 bucks on a bov and nothing changes then i might as well have spent 200 on this stuff and potentially tune out the issue.

Does this stuff have a chance at ridding me of my problems or would i be better off spending the money on a quality bov?
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #127
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
scaring me with the flooding the car out bit. I has ostrich and am opening up mah ecu.
that's what happens when you hit multiply instead of divide and don't pay attention

it didn't like fill the cylenders with gas; just stalled out due to richness.

no fear.

New XDF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2074311/Volv...-beepee-v9.xdf

better categories, lots of small fixes, swapped some table axises(sp?) around to make them consistent.

also found the idle table that switches with A/C compressor status

a few more comments as well... check it!
beepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #128
2fast4u
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepee View Post
that's what happens when you hit multiply instead of divide and don't pay attention

it didn't like fill the cylenders with gas; just stalled out due to richness.

no fear.

better categories, lots of small fixes, swapped some table axises(sp?) around to make them consistent.

jesus man. YOU'RE AN XDF MACHINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
Sounds like you are afraid of the horse cock Kenny.
Quote:
I will freely admit that yes, yes I am. and I'm not ashamed of that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
im skeptical... i hope this isnt your last post. famous last words, rite? "anyone JB welded this?"
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #129
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Does this stuff have a chance at ridding me of my problems or would i be better off spending the money on a quality bov?
I've still got a recirc; couldnt tell you.

If we can identify more tables and data then there may be a work around. No promises right now.

If I stay with a AMM setup, I'd just buy a recirc valve. Unless you are at some crazy boost level that needs a BOV? Is there even such a thing?

I understand runing the extra hose sucks, but what's the big deal about using a recirc? Why does everyone prefer BOV? I'm dumb, explain.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #130
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
cylenders
but obviously not a speeeeeling machine, d'oh

I'm anxious to hear what Kenny does with it.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #131
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Recirc works just fine, keep the air and hoses near the turbo, not the throttle plate
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #132
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
SLC is a baller unit
Sounds like it. I need to pull my current setup out from underneath the covers and start watching it again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
Something about the tps not being properly adjusted.
Sounds like there's a problem THERE, not with your BOV. I know you've dug into that before though, so... Dunno man!
Quote:

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure, right after I spend the last hour playing with the v8 one. I tinkered with a 935 NA bin to my liking for a starting point, but now that I've done that I need to clarify that I can even run a 951 computer with a 935 bin! I'm thinking not, as I can't open and look at my 951 bins properly using your 935 xdf, which would lead me to believe they are looking at different locations for some of the same stuff?

Does anyone know if I can run a 935 bin on my 951 computer? The other option will be to download a 951 xdf from elsewhere on the netz(pretty sure I can find one) and tweak that. But it won't have the awesome Beepee notes and such!

Ps. BOVs can be cool because they make more noise.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #133
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Sounds like it. I need to pull my current setup out from underneath the covers and start watching it again...
Sounds like there's a problem THERE, not with your BOV. I know you've dug into that before though, so... Dunno man!
Suuuuuuuuuuuuure, right after I spend the last hour playing with the v8 one. I tinkered with a 935 NA bin to my liking for a starting point, but now that I've done that I need to clarify that I can even run a 951 computer with a 935 bin! I'm thinking not, as I can't open and look at my 951 bins properly using your 935 xdf, which would lead me to believe they are looking at different locations for some of the same stuff?

Does anyone know if I can run a 935 bin on my 951 computer? The other option will be to download a 951 xdf from elsewhere on the netz(pretty sure I can find one) and tweak that. But it won't have the awesome Beepee notes and such!

I'm running the 93x turbo rom in my 954, so you should be good.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #134
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
but obviously not a speeeeeling machine, d'oh

I'm anxious to hear what Kenny does with it.
not as much cool stuff, apparently the ostrich I've borrowed doesn't allow for tracing.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #135
Jerd
Board Member

Quote:
I've still got a recirc; couldnt tell you.

If we can identify more tables and data then there may be a work around. No promises right now.

If I stay with a AMM setup, I'd just buy a recirc valve. Unless you are at some crazy boost level that needs a BOV? Is there even such a thing?

I understand runing the extra hose sucks, but what's the big deal about using a recirc? Why does everyone prefer BOV? I'm dumb, explain.
Well, Ill be honest why im running one. The engine bay is a lot cleaner. I ran a recirc for a long time and it looked very cluttered Once i swapped to a BOV i loved how more simplistic my bay looked.

Also and once again ill be honest. I like the sound, I think its bad ass, i like it just as much as loud fuel pumps and turbo spooling, external waste gates and back fires. I think a bov fits my car perfectly and really completes the sound.

I would like to keep it, my intentions where to go megasquirt and i wouldnt have to worry about it. But the stuff you're doing here is awesome and affordable. So im wondering if i should invest in a quality bov to hopefully mend my dieing issue or if i would be better off buying this stuff and fixing the problems with the tune.
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #136
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:

You can load the 93x roms on any 9xx ECU as far as I know; that's why I chose it. I also chose it because if you paid for TLAO's chip (like I did), it's editable in my XDF.

Quote:
But there's nothing cooler than stalling out your automatic!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #137
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
not as much cool stuff, apparently the ostrich I've borrowed doesn't allow for tracing.
is it a v1? (i.e. does it have a big scary picture of an Ostrich?)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #138
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
I'm running the 93x turbo rom in my 954, so you should be good.
Cool. I guess I'll find out next week.
Quote:
Is it the original Ostrich or the smaller 2.0 that they sell now? I don't know if it makes a difference, but...

Beepee/others: I played with that "Fuel map RPM axis base" scalar on TunerPro. Looks like we can tinker with that(and nothing else needed, right?) to adjust the scale so we can fine tune at higher rpm when using a higher redline? Anyway, I adjusted it to 103, giving me a 550-6775rpm table(36/~6775 redline bin) and saved it. Then I went to ipdown's editor to correct the checksum and just look it over. When I open it up in the LH24 Editor though, the main fuel map's table goes from 1480-6120rpm??? Not 550-6775rpm. The data values for the map are the same, even though the rpm labels are different.

With that being said, I went and compared the stock 935NA map on TunerPro to LH24 Editor and TP shows the map ranging from 501-6350rpm vs 1600-6240rpm on the Editor.

For what it's worth...?

Last edited by klr142; 01-26-2011 at 12:34 AM..
Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #139
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
is it a v1? (i.e. does it have a big scary picture of an Ostrich?)
it's a version 1, but no big picture of an ostrich. just an ominous large black case with a ribbon cable.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #140
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
it's a version 1, but no big picture of an ostrich. just an ominous large black case with a ribbon cable.
It's mega-old then: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/11...h-10-overview/

Can't fine anything about address tracing in the 1.0 docs either :-/ It only runs at 115,200 baud so it may not be fast enough for it...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #141
Hagar17
Board Member

so... what cars have 9xx ECUs?

certain year / models?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #142
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:

With that being said, I went and compared the stock 935NA map on TunerPro to LH24 Editor and TP shows the map ranging from 501-6350rpm vs 1600-6240rpm on the Editor.

For what it's worth...?
The released version of LH2.4 Studio is old. It doesn't use the correct (log based) formula for RPM. It just multiplies by 40. (it's actually selectable in one of the menus IIRC)

With tracing on watch any of the RPM tables while you rev the motor; it's way off. I'm sure the new version will be fixed.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #143
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
The released version of LH2.4 Studio is old. It doesn't use the correct (log based) formula for RPM. It just multiplies by 40. (it's actually selectable in one of the menus IIRC)

With tracing on watch any of the RPM tables while you rev the motor; it's way off. I'm sure the new version will be fixed.
Gotcha. I knew it was old but didn't know the RPM was off. I haven't run it hooked up to the car yet because my Ostrich doesn't arrive until Monday!

That being said, are you saying I should be able to open up my 951 bins with your 935 xdf? Because so far I haven't been able to, they seem to pull from different locations, or something. If I load a stock 951 bin, the main fuel map is filled with 255s and the load/rpm axis' are all sorts of crazy -1000s numbers going "up" to a positive number when nearing low rpm and higher loads on each axis.

Ok, done playing for tonight, headed home...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #144
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
It's mega-old then: http://support.moates.net/2008/09/11...h-10-overview/

Can't fine anything about address tracing in the 1.0 docs either :-/ It only runs at 115,200 baud so it may not be fast enough for it...
sounds about right. I seem to recall this thing kicking around back in 03-04.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #145
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar17 View Post
so... what cars have 9xx ECUs?

certain year / models?
Check here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=84817

Looks like it's a crap shoot from years 90-94. Seems like most of the 95 and up cars had them.

I'd just go look; it literally takes about the same amount of time as it would to find your car in the list.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #146
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
That being said, are you saying I should be able to open up my 951 bins with your 935 xdf? Because so far I haven't been able to, they seem to pull from different locations, or something. If I load a stock 951 bin, the main fuel map is filled with 255s and the load/rpm axis' are all sorts of crazy -1000s numbers going "up" to a positive number when nearing low rpm and higher loads on each axis.
the xdf has to match the rom version for TP, otherwise its looking in the wrong places and grabbing the wrong information.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #147
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Check here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=84817

Looks like it's a crap shoot from years 90-94. Seems like most of the 95 and up cars had them.

I'd just go look; it literally takes about the same amount of time as it would to find your car in the list.
I'd think most if not all Efan cars would be 9xx ecus eh? and some of the non-efan cars as well
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #148
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
sounds about right. I seem to recall this thing kicking around back in 03-04.
Did you try to change any values? The revlimit is a safe one with immediate results.

Not being able to trace definitely limits your tuning capability though. Even if you put a gauge on the AMM signal, it's non linear... and the ECU does crazy things to the AMM signal anyhow.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #149
beepee
how hard can it be?

Quote:
I'd think most if not all Efan cars would be 9xx ecus eh? and some of the non-efan cars as well
Makes sense to me.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #150
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah I fiddled around with a few things, burned another rom to it while it was running, that sort of shenanigan type stuff. Without a wideband there wasn't much I was planning on doing anyway, I just wanted to see if it'd do the other stuff. I might try and track down a used one