• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

E codes on an 83 240?

You need to get E-codes from either a 1975-80 260 series (dual H1 setup) or from a 1979-80 240 with the wide H4 E-codes. My 245 has the 1979-80 240 E-codes on it.

-J

You'll need the headlights and the bezels. Most of the headlights will have rusty or pitted reflectors but aftermarket reflectors I believe are available from Sweden.

Another choice is to change your front fenders and lower front sheet metal to the 86 and newer. Then you can use the 86+ ecodes. The front clip with the proper lower sheet metal just bolts on.

Where did you find these? They look bitchin

Got them from the guy who posted just after you. There are a few guys in Europe who can get them for you, though. One tends to be kinda slow in shipping, though (Arjan Andriessen).

A better pic with less glare on the headlamp covers...

Last edited:
Another choice is to change your front fenders and lower front sheet metal to the 86 and newer. Then you can use the 86+ ecodes. The front clip with the proper lower sheet metal just bolts on.

You'd also have to get the Euro grille, which, if you want to use the "ripplehood" aka coffin hood, means you need to hunt down the rare 260 series or 1984-85 Euro 240 grille. A lot less work to just get the earlier E-codes.

You'd also have to get the Euro grille, which, if you want to use the "ripplehood" aka coffin hood, means you need to hunt down the rare 260 series or 1984-85 Euro 240 grille. A lot less work to just get the earlier E-codes.

Your car looks great John! Well, it's not easy but it is straight forward. I would use a flathood but you still need a rare egg crate grill for that, too. That does let you use the newer ecodes. Those early TV screen ecodes were always quite dear so I settled on using a 79 242DL front with ecode parking/turn signals. I also managed to find a 7" round set of NOS Cibie BoBi headlights. So with them on there the car has a classic euro look.

Your car looks great John! Well, it's not easy but it is straight forward. I would use a flathood but you still need a rare egg crate grill for that, too. That does let you use the newer ecodes. Those early TV screen ecodes were always quite dear so I settled on using a 79 242DL front with ecode parking/turn signals. I also managed to find a 7" round set of NOS Cibie BoBi headlights. So with them on there the car has a classic euro look.

Dave,

Thanks.

Yeah, the flathood grilles aren't easy to find. Re: the 1978-80 242 front end, did the same on my old '82 242Ti. On that car, I got lucky and found a black '80 GT in Canuckistan to grab the hood off of. Already had a black 1978-80 accessory fog lamp grille and a couple 242DL headlamp doors. Ran driving light lenses in the GT fogs. Also found a 1978-79 242GT air dam that hadn't been painted silver on a 1977 242DL at one of the yards around here, and mounted that in place of the later spoiler. Used Bosch pilot amber fogs under the bumper.

Photo taken by luke242ti in October 2004 at his parents' place in Monmouth, Oregon. My car on the right, his (now t8fanning's car) on the left.

Just for your amusement, there's a TV Detective who's personal car with E-codes looks very like yours. Minus the wheels and extended bumpers but has the black strips under the side windows and is also blue. The car appears frequently in the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInsesZe0LQ&list=PLEMVfachEwZ5kIxXm63cKvkBa6FGA22ZV

i036653.jpg

Love Joy also drove an old Volvo wagon on that show. I could have bought lights when I visited England many years ago. But they would have been for RHD.

I have the DJ auto ecodes on my 93 wagon. They are a nice step up from the garbage plastic lights. But not as nice or as long lasting as the genuine ones. I'm on my second set. The first set lasted about 12 years and at that point the reflectors and the plastic pins for mounting it were all bad.

I have the DJ auto ecodes on my 93 wagon. They are a nice step up from the garbage plastic lights. But not as nice or as long lasting as the genuine ones. I'm on my second set. The first set lasted about 12 years and at that point the reflectors and the plastic pins for mounting it were all bad.

:lol: Are you complaining that aftermarket lights only lasted 12 years? What's the sell by date for genuine Volvo lights?

Back