• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel problem, 89 245.

wgusler

Ok, I need some help from the Volvo Gurus here. b230f with Bosch FI. Has lean condition and stumbles badly off idle. New main pump and in tank, fuel filter and tried two different regulators. One new and one know good one but problem persists.

Pinch off the return line and it runs perfect, shows no codes. New cat, AAF, TPS , knock sensor and temp sensor. Changed the blck control box and fuel pump relay as a last ditch effort, no change.

Don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure at the rail.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm puzzled. You list hundreds of dollars in new parts tried and still don't have a pressure gauge. I wouldn't have any clue how to solve your trouble without one.

Had all the parts already for the rebuild of a motor on the stand and planned on changing them all. Did it in the driveway with the tools I have. Ordered a gauge , will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
Had all the parts already for the rebuild of a motor on the stand and planned on changing them all. Did it in the driveway with the tools I have. Ordered a gauge , will be here tomorrow.

Whether you fix it before you can measure the fuel pressure or not, I think you'll be much more confident having the ability in the future. As billkaz suggests, an air leak past the AMM is your most likely cause of lean mixture, assuming the fuel pressure is OK. AMM hose, throttle body gasket, manifold gasket, injector seals. Watch the oxygen sensor voltage swing for a clue.

Back