• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dont laugh--how do I do a compression test on 91 940 Turbo

19Brambling

I have been a Diesel Head for so long, i forget everything about normally fired engines with spark plugs. On a 91 940 Turbo, how do I do a compression check? How do I disable the spark/fuel? Are there any special procedures I need to kow--How about letting me know the entire procedure?

Thanks!

From the Brickboard:

[quote:950095a5a5]Run the engine until it is hot. A cold engine will not test correctly.

Disable the ignition coil by disconnecting connection 1, ground, at the coil.

Remove spark plugs for all cylinders being tested.

Crank the engine continually for at least five to 10 full revolutions to obtain an accurate reading on the compression tester. The starter must be operating normally at around 4-5 revolutions per second or 250-300 rpm.

Hold the throttle to full open position to ensure the engine gets adequate air intake.

Insert the compression tester into one cylinder spark plug hole at a time.

Specified minimum value for B2XX engines is 0.9 MPa (128 psi)]

If all cylinder readings are within the Volvo B2XX specification [0.2 MPa or 28 psi] of each other, no further testing is required and compression is considered optimal.

If any of them vary by more than this value, a problem may exist in one or more cylinders. Specialized testing equipment may be required to fully diagnose the problem. [/quote:950095a5a5]

Back