• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Solid to Independent Rear axle

I have the swaybar, and EVERYTHING from a 940se rear end sitting in my side yard, I was wondering if john was suggesting I get the whole supra rear end as well, or just the diff/halfshafts

acbarnett said:
I have the swaybar, and EVERYTHING from a 940se rear end sitting in my side yard, I was wondering if john was suggesting I get the whole supra rear end as well, or just the diff/halfshafts

Get everything.
Subframes, forged alloy a arms, uprights brakes calipers diff, everything.
If you find Supras, look for those with the 5 bolt wheels and the 6 bolt output flanges like on my site www.jvab.f4.ca
If you find automatic or non turbo cars the ratio is 4.3 and you'll want to swap for sumpin higher.
I have 3.9s here.

the benefits of IRS - lower unsprung weight so th etyre can follow the road at a higher frequency than a live axle - ie better grip roadholding .

i dropped an irs out of a 92 960 , it has all the same bolt holes as the live axle , altho i didnt do it , it seems they bolt in /out .

they have the same diff , so im positive they can be replaced with the same ratios as others , or upgraded , and since most are auto with a 3.73 theres no problem with a truetrac either .

point is , can you actually drive fast enough to feel the difference ?

im sure IRS will offer advantages - but to use them you need to get rid of most of the jelly bushes , and put some adjustability into it

tjts1 said:
Get everything if you can including a rear sway bar from a 940se or early 960 sedan since 760s don't have them. But keep in mind that IRS is heavier than the solid axle on volvos.

One modification I want to make is to replace the panhard rod with a watts link. Does anybody make a suitable diff cover for our cars?
susp27.jpg

Or how about a REAL rear sway bar that is attached to the body like the front bar with separate end links attached to the axle.
This one is even better.
pht20020101su_s05.jpg

SAM Steffanson does...check under competition parts in their e-cat

too bad the group buy just ended, eh

tjts1 said:
Get everything if you can including a rear sway bar from a 940se or early 960 sedan since 760s don't have them. But keep in mind that IRS is heavier than the solid axle on volvos.

One modification I want to make is to replace the panhard rod with a watts link. Does anybody make a suitable diff cover for our cars?
Or how about a REAL rear sway bar that is attached to the body like the front bar with separate end links attached to the axle.
SAM sells one, converted from Krona, roughly, its about 700.00
95086525.jpg

http://www.sambilmode.se/samindex.html

Always someone making n00b comments. :zzz:

I just want to rebump this as I'm toying with converting my 740 turbo to an early IRS setup.

At the weekend i had the chance to drive a right shed of a 1991 960 Turbo Auto which had the IRS back end.
I tweaked the boost upto 11psi and took it for a blast, it was still bloody slow as the engine was knackered, but come to a roundabout and my word could i get **** loads of opposite lock and drift that thing round with ease, the handling seemed far better and more controllable than any of my live axle volvo's.

Then again it could have been that i was not all worried about pranging the old shed into a kerb so i gave it more beans than i ussually do in my own cars. I'll be fitting a boost controller to my 940 and giving the same roundabout a go shortly.

i've pulled apart both irs and live axle 7s in that area and they aren't too different. I think it handles better but they really need more adjustment.

There are extra bolts on the irs's floorpan you will need for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Irs

susp27.jpg

This one is even better.
pht20020101su_s05.jpg

88-90 760 sedans had IRS.

he is talking about live axle with the watts linkage thing on the diff.

You can make the irs sway fit earlier irs. Just need the 960 handbrake cables and to do a bit of grinding to the subframe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back