• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Brake kits

Haystack

Hello all, I'll be doing a brake job on my 87 240 soon and I wanted to get some input on brake kits. I'm going to do pads and rotors so I checked IPD for kits and it looks like there's OEM front and rear kits, and then Bosch has a rear kit that is about $35 cheaper than the OEM one. I was thinking about going with the OEM front (only option for my year) and the Bosch rears which would be about $220 total when it's all said and done. Does this seem about right for pads and rotors or are there better deals to be had? I did search around and didn't find anything else that looked like a better deal, but money is tight right now so I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Thank you

RockAuto will get you good stuff for less.
Bosch QuietCast front and rear for around $200 shipped

Thanks for the tip. It says they only have 1 rear Bosch rotor left, what other brands are recommended? Looks like they have Wagner and RAYBESTOS under their daily driver category along with Bosch. Looking at the Bosch front Rotors it says they're solid, and from what I understand my fronts are vented. When I look up the part number on google it says they're solid and vented. Is that right?

look at your rotors they can be solid our vented i have two 240s and one has solid the others vented, I believe that all rears are solid tho

the 88 i have is the solid rotor car is check yours before ordering? i got a cheap cross drilled and gas slotted set of flee Bay with ceramic pads for 150 shipped and it has held up well even with the v8 conversion

If I might ask.... what would be the next step up from stock? I need brakes soon and want to upgrade, better more powerful brakes while keeping with the stock wheels.....for now:-D
On a '92 245

I would like a big brake kit but can't afford new wheels so that's out of the question for now.
I'm a spirited driver.:nod:

Slotted rotors and a nice pad like EBC and Hawk are a nice "upgrade". Drilled rotors are trash unless you race/like to burn your hard earned cash.

I wouldnt waste your money on a brake upgrade. Do suspension upgrades first. The brakes on a 240 are pretty decent stock. An I also wouldnt order rotors. To expensive. Get em local. I have better luck with pricing that way. Thats me though.

I think most of the brake upgrades are largely cosmetic, might be beneficial for a serious track car but yeah 240s had great brakes right from the factory, they were way ahead of their time. Discs all around, quad piston twin circuit fixed calipers in the front and twin piston fixed calipers in the rear. Quite a lot of cars from the 240 era still had drum brakes in the rear, many sports cars had inferior brakes and even the later Volvos went to crappy floating calipers that seize up if not carefully maintained. If you have solid front rotors then an upgrade to vented which requires a caliper swap IIRC might be worthwhile.

Centric rotors all around and OEM pads on my wagon (well, now has EBC redstuff fronts) stops verrrry well. Still has original hoses, for which I have braided replacements, just haven't got around to them. Probably be the best stopping car I have after that.

Back