• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 240 brake junction/brake line delete with 91 style

I?m guessing that Volvo changed the master cylinder to a normal non-stepped one for ABS models, which are a front/rear split? But we didn?t get ABS on many 240?s in the UK so I?ve never seen one.

From my greenbook research, ABS master cylinders have STEPPED bores also:
22.3 mm primary (rear bore), 19 mm secondary (front bore).
Part Numbers: 3530972, 8251131, 8602015.

So a bit LESS stepped than earlier MCs, but still stepped.

If there was a non-stepped MC used I'm not aware of, I'd sure like to know.
Dave B

Ah, interesting. To me anyway.
I wonder if it still has the spacing sleeve inside, but they've adjusted the piston sizes to allow for the different circuit volumes?

I wonder if it is related to the theory behind “quick take-up” master cylinders GM used to mess with. Sort of like the jacks with two piston sizes to move fast, then slow under load.
(This doesn’t work like that)

Last edited:
Well I know people go to a mustang master with bbks so maybe I should look into that. Very helpful posts thank you so much.

Oddly, I just did put on Rx7 brakes. I had asked about this a while ago. I decided to hook up the brakes splitting one front on one side paired with the rear on the opposite side. I assumed that the pressure would be the same. If one fails it would minimize the ?pull? ( hopefully ).
It seems to be working. I notice a slight pull but probably other factors.

On a side note I don?t understand why with the stock setup, they didn?t set up for each half of the master to be a leading piston on one side and the trailing piston and rear brake from the other. This would help to keep a better balanced brake system when / if one side failed.

On the race cars I worked on, there are 2 masters, one each for front and rear, with an adjustable bias bar for fine tuning. Often the masters weren?t the same size, with the smaller bore for the front.

I think I might do just that Tim. This whole setup makes me nervous. Our dirt cars have a bias bar and two masters.

Back