• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Limited Slip 122 differential

BoostIt

Does anybody know of a car that has a differential I could swap into my 122 to give it limited slip, similar to the Jeep differential into a 240?

Just ask any 4x4 supplier or off road shop for an LSD for a Jeep Spicer axle... but don't mention Volvo... they'll cross their eyes and bump up the price by 100%.

It's a Dana 27, but be careful about the spline counts. I'm not sure what the Volvo needs, but I don't think all Jeep diffs are compatible with the Volvo axle shafts.

I have an LSD in the basement for my PV, but I keep dragging my feet on putting it in.

I don't think the Dana 27 will take the Dana 30 TrueTrac. I took the extreme step of swaping in a 240 (1030) rear axle and put in the TrueTrac - one of the best upgrades I did.

The more I think about it, swapping in a Dana 30 240 axle and Truetrac makes the most sense. At least then I'd have rear disks. Thanks guys.

The more I think about it, swapping in a Dana 30 240 axle and Truetrac makes the most sense. At least then I'd have rear disks. Thanks guys.

Depending on the age of the car it already has a type 30 in it. You can tell them apart by measuring the diameter of the axle tubes.

I'm venturing well past my level of knowledge on the subject, but I want to say that it was the 1800E/140 disc braked rear axles that were the Dana 30, and the drum braked PV, 122, and 1800S axles were Dana 27's. And certain years of Jeeps used Dana 27's, that's where the Jeep connection works for them as well. But even in Jeep land, Dana 27 parts aren't that common.

I *really* need to stick that LSD in the PV someday soon. I'm just paranoid about setting it up correctly.

I'm venturing well past my level of knowledge on the subject, but I want to say that it was the 1800E/140 disc braked rear axles that were the Dana 30, and the drum braked PV, 122, and 1800S axles were Dana 27's. And certain years of Jeeps used Dana 27's, that's where the Jeep connection works for them as well. But even in Jeep land, Dana 27 parts aren't that common.

I *really* need to stick that LSD in the PV someday soon. I'm just paranoid about setting it up correctly.

I think you're right. I'm currently swapping my drum-brake 122 rear axle for a '71 disc-brake 1800ES rear axle. These two animals sure look different, especially the pumpkin size. But since I'm not cracking open the 122 rear end, I won't be able to see the guts and compare it to the 1800ES version.

I guess if I wanted to install a LSD, now's the time. Too bad money is tight.

So there's a possibility of me having a Dana 30 on my 122? What is the diameter of the Dana 30 axle tubes?

The diameter of the type 27 is 57mm, the type 30 is 63.5mm

It changed on chassis number 225049 for the 120 and 216949 on the 130.

Dana LSD

So...
Early suspension type amazons, with rear drum brakes and 53mm dia axlw have a Dana 27 - 10 spl diff in them. Right??
I have a '65 122 with this configuration, which I'm trying to LSD.
I found an LSD by PowerTrax for the 1966-71 Jeep CJ Dana 27 open carrier 10 spline.
Will this fit my Volvo???
http://www.reiderracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1431

ptrx-lockrt-150x150.jpg

Thanks!!

Skip the powertrax. Those things are miserable. Better to just weld it and save the money IMO. Air locker if you can find one is good for lockers, but people don't give good reliable ones of those away...usually not in the t-bricks/volvo guy budget (no offense...hey I'm sorta a volvo guy).

Dana 27 parts are out there. Either for jeep or many volvos across the pond came with an LSD. Availablity pretty limited.

I'd go "extreme" and use a 240 or 1800E axle with appropriate attachments for the amazon welded on (if necessary...obviously late amazon will work with 1800E stuff with minimal fuss). Mostly for reliability, slightly less bad LSD parts availability, still factory and pretty "easy" (especially late amazon-->1800 mostly bolting in).

I don't know that the discs stop a ton better, but for service and general brake reliability/use I MUCH prefer the discs of the volvo stuff. In the case of either the 1800E or 240, the stock bolt pattern changes. With the 240, the track width changes and figuring out the parking brake is a slight bit more of a challenge, as well as deal with the pinion flange (fairly minor).

diff for sale

I have a couple of tru-trac limited slip diffs that are from my 122s (dana 30) from the P1800 axle that is in the car
One is almost new
Please contact me at sunpoint@coastnet.com for further info
Regards
Lorne

Yep, the 1967+ and 140 / 1800 rear axles interchange. Earlier have the pressed trailing arms instead of trailing rods. I bought a Dana 27 diff (Randy's Ring and Pinion) and put it into the stock 66 122s housing...but with custom splined axles and Ford 10" drum brakes. If you are putting in a limited slip, and especially if you are running more power and/or driving hard with sticky tires (like autocross or rallying) you want to get away from the stock pre-67 axles with the taper at the ends - they'll snap under loading (the wheelspin of an open diff is a sort of safety valve) and that isn't fun! Probably would have been a *lot* less headache for me to just change the mounting points over for the 140 rear, and then I'd have discs too! But as 945ti above noted, the bolt pattern for the later cars is not the same as the 5 x 4.5" (Ford) pattern of the earlier cars...which ends up why I have Ford drums and custom axles on my 66.
I do have to say, the LSD really transformed the car - I was living at the bottom of a steep gravel driveway at the time, with the open diff, I had to get a smooth "running start" since I couldn't get traction mid-way up. With the limited slip, I could almost "creep" up the hill with no slip. Better around the autocross cones too - power was still getting down even in a hard corner that used to lift a wheel and spin it uselessly. Which is to say, "yes, you really do want a limited slip".

Early Studebakers had Dana 27's with "anti-Spin" and 10 splines. Unfortunately they had gear ratios that would tax a 4 cyl.
I was going to use one behind a M47 in my Amazon/B230 But 3.07:1 was way too steep.

Back