home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #176
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Very cool. Are you leaving the roof as-is and just painting the body ? Are you going to match the existing paint or just start from scratch ? Nice work on the engine, these are great engines when they're working well. Easy to maintain.
Thank you. I thought about leaving it as is, but the problem with that is itís kind of a Frankenstein car. Itís got lots of donor parts and lots of grey patches from body work. I also want to replace all the rubbery bits.

When I do paint it, Iím probably not going to go with the original color. Iíd like to go two-tone, not sure what colors yet, though. Iím leaning towards red with a white top at the moment. Iím always changing my mind.
wtarkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #177
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorelix View Post
Really cool car.

Why no valve stem seals? Granted, they don't do a whole lot...
Itís funny you say that. After I put the head on, I noticed I didnít see any valve seals. I kind of panicked for a moment and called my engine builder. He told me he put em inside the spring this time. Not sure why, Iíve never seen that before.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #178
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
B18's use an umbrella style seal. It's held to the stem by the groove just above the retainer.

He told me he put them inside the spring. Is this a common thing? Iíve never seen these with the valve seals like that.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #179
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Older American cars use an umbrella seal under the retainer like where your machinist put them but these are supposed to go on top. I don't think it will hurt anything though.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #180
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Older American cars use an umbrella seal under the retainer like where your machinist put them but these are supposed to go on top. I don't think it will hurt anything though.
Okay, thatís good to know. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:49 AM   #181
wtarkington
Board Member

Picked up some sport springs from IPD. They were surprisingly easy to install. Anyone know if I need to get an alignment now?

AEC2-B6-F8-44-AC-4-B8-C-8724-BB8-A13-A77-A7-C

Front sprints old vs new

AB10-A8-AD-3516-4197-B480-D5447-B0-B3-FEA

Rear

659-D331-D-8063-4-B39-AD7-F-7482-E7-FCBE72

13-B9-EA83-48-D2-4-C28-AB17-C0-A03-E4-A3-DED

1-FE9649-F-7-D34-497-A-8-B60-0-A99-BB190116

E3-CBD4-B9-7633-4548-A563-2346-AAF2-F8-DC

7-AF7337-E-D5-DC-4794-AD21-EAC052-A03380

Last edited by wtarkington; 01-14-2021 at 04:12 AM..
Old 01-14-2021, 04:15 AM   #182
wtarkington
Board Member

Picked up a new dome light and plate. Can anyone tell me the correct wiring. I have a wiring diagram, but I personally don’t like to mess with wiring all that much. I admit that it’s a bit hard for me to understand.

Also after looking at some pics, I think I have it installed the wrong way.

C88-CC3-E1-ABEA-48-B5-A49-F-67231-E1-AA8-AD
Old 01-14-2021, 04:23 AM   #183
wtarkington
Board Member

So I’ve been daily driving this car for a long time now. Over time the drivers seat began to fall apart. I’m tall and built, but I’m not THAT big. Has anyone experienced this before?

I swapped the front seats, and the passenger side is wayyyy better on my back, since it has been used way less for obvious reasons. BUT I feel like it’s so far forward. The keys dangle on my knee, and I’m basically hugging the steering wheel.

Has anyone ever figured out a way to move the seats back a bit? I’m pretty sure these seats are for a 4-door, as there’s no way to move the seats to allow someone to get into the back.

22-F6-E500-ABCD-4-E05-BF5-E-5-CA86-C0-E0809

07-BAC685-8808-43-CE-A43-C-C902-ACCF4999

D5-E9-CC61-47-B1-45-C3-9-EDA-54-E0020-B9-F54

DA49-E6-F7-5302-4-CDF-879-A-0-FEF449771-A9
Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 PM   #184
spock345
Board Member

That seat looks kind of messed up. On the later style seats the U shaped tubular bit on the bottom of the seat unbolts from the rest of it with 4 bolts similar to a 240 seat and there are a few sets of holes so you can move it forward and back to have different "ranges" of adjustment. I'm lucky enough that the farthest setting back feels comfortable to me.

Maybe make some seat rail extensions?
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #185
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
That seat looks kind of messed up. On the later style seats the U shaped tubular bit on the bottom of the seat unbolts from the rest of it with 4 bolts similar to a 240 seat and there are a few sets of holes so you can move it forward and back to have different "ranges" of adjustment. I'm lucky enough that the farthest setting back feels comfortable to me.

Maybe make some seat rail extensions?
Yea thatís what I was thinking. Iím gunna try some mending plates. Home Depot has em for days.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #186
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtarkington View Post
Picked up some sport springs from IPD. They were surprisingly easy to install. Anyone know if I need to get an alignment now?
The change in ride height does alter front camber so does change the steering geometry. If you want the steering geometry to be the same as before the spring change you need a re alignment.

When you alter the ride height you alter the front camber causing it to become less positive or slightly negative - depending on whether you started out with positive or 0 camber. Volvo initially recommended 0 to slightly positive camber. With modern radial tires slightly negative camber may improve things. If your car initially had a Volvo 'spec' alignment the the reduction in positive or change to negative camber may be beneficial; but, will increase the steering effort.

The bigger problem may be offset of the rear axle. When you drop the ride height at the rear the panhard rod causes the rear axle to offset to the side of the car. Stand about 20 feet behind the car and look at the positioning of the rear wheels relative to the body. If the wheels appear to be offset to the left or right (I don't know which side the pan hard bar mounts on the axle) you will need to shorten the panhard to return the back axle to a centered position under the car. Depending on the amount of drop in ride height you may also need to check the pinion angles on your transmission output shaft and differential input shaft. If they are significantly different then you need to alter the back axle orientation to match the angles. That is a little more challenging fix.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #187
spock345
Board Member

How much did those springs end up dropping it? I am tempted by some sport springs. VP autoparts and IPD both sell sets. But I like my ability to not scrape things on steep driveways.
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #188
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 guy View Post
The change in ride height does alter front camber so does change the steering geometry. If you want the steering geometry to be the same as before the spring change you need a re alignment.

When you alter the ride height you alter the front camber causing it to become less positive or slightly negative - depending on whether you started out with positive or 0 camber. Volvo initially recommended 0 to slightly positive camber. With modern radial tires slightly negative camber may improve things. If your car initially had a Volvo 'spec' alignment the the reduction in positive or change to negative camber may be beneficial; but, will increase the steering effort.

The bigger problem may be offset of the rear axle. When you drop the ride height at the rear the panhard rod causes the rear axle to offset to the side of the car. Stand about 20 feet behind the car and look at the positioning of the rear wheels relative to the body. If the wheels appear to be offset to the left or right (I don't know which side the pan hard bar mounts on the axle) you will need to shorten the panhard to return the back axle to a centered position under the car. Depending on the amount of drop in ride height you may also need to check the pinion angles on your transmission output shaft and differential input shaft. If they are significantly different then you need to alter the back axle orientation to match the angles. That is a little more challenging fix.

I took a look under the car from far away and everything seemed to be lined up okay. Iím not experiencing any issues driving the car either. I think after 60 or so mm the panhard becomes an issue. At least thatís what I read. I could be totally wrong.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #189
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
How much did those springs end up dropping it? I am tempted by some sport springs. VP autoparts and IPD both sell sets. But I like my ability to not scrape things on steep driveways.
It says the drop is 1.2 inches. It looks great. It doesnít have that high rise look anymore. I canít see into the wheel well, as you can with the stock springs. 122ís sit so high stock, this drop didnít have any effect going over speed bumps or driveways or anything. It was worth it for me, and easy to do. Not too expensive either.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #190
wtarkington
Board Member

Seat problem has been solved. The distance, height, and lean is all perfect. The ONLY thing that kind of bothers me is the way the front bar sticks out. I say kind of because it’s not that bad really. I don’t notice it when I’m sitting. I can probably cover it with carpet when I get to that point. I thought about drilling a hole but, I believe the seat sits on a specific part of the frame for obvious structural reasons. I could be wrong.

B74-EFD1-D-0-A04-4514-9-FB0-0-F579-FF5-FF0-C

DF3827-F8-42-A3-4616-9-A4-E-C8-BA5-C18-DEC5

0-BC25-C9-E-DB62-4048-9-EB2-EF5-FC49-B8633

CE7-AC262-9351-47-DA-9-D5-E-26237-AA9464-B
Old 01-16-2021, 01:22 AM   #191
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

Yep, the seat mounts in the floor are welded into the cross members for strength. You and your seat experience huge forces in an accident, so mounting a seat straight to the pan takes more than just drilling a hole.

I hope that's your prototype just to locate the seat, it's really not safe...
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 AM   #192
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyGarcia View Post
Yep, the seat mounts in the floor are welded into the cross members for strength. You and your seat experience huge forces in an accident, so mounting a seat straight to the pan takes more than just drilling a hole.

I guess looking at it, if there is enough force the seat could still Swing forward no matter how tight the nuts are.

So what should I do than to bring the seat back? It’s just as unsafe with it mounted normally, as I’m basically hugging the steering wheel and it’s really hard to see. Also I have to open my legs more, and my knees touch the dash. I’m only 6’1.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #193
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:

Just did a little test and they do still swing forward pretty easily. So I will have to think of another solution I guess. Thank you. Luckily I have new seatbelts that lock.

What if I drill holes in the back to make two more anchor spots, to anchor the rail in the back so it doesn’t swing forward?
Old 01-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #194
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

Mounting a seat isn't simple: you can very easily get forces of a couple of g's in even a moderate crash. One way to think about it is how would any mounting idea handle being hit by a couple of NFL linemen.

Those straps aren't strong enough in any direction. Even if you welded the nuts and bolts so they didn't rotate, the long strap will bend easily when the linemen come to play.

I think you're on the right path by anchoring to the rear. One way might be by making a box of 1x1 square tube, bolted to the side mounts and anchored to the rear floor pan with some plates to spread the load a little. Then mount the seat to the box.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:03 AM   #195
wtarkington
Board Member

Quote:
Mounting a seat isn't simple: you can very easily get forces of a couple of g's in even a moderate crash. One way to think about it is how would any mounting idea handle being hit by a couple of NFL linemen.

Those straps aren't strong enough in any direction. Even if you welded the nuts and bolts so they didn't rotate, the long strap will bend easily when the linemen come to play.

I think you're on the right path by anchoring to the rear. One way might be by making a box of 1x1 square tube, bolted to the side mounts and anchored to the rear floor pan with some plates to spread the load a little. Then mount the seat to the box.
Okay, I see what your saying. Would that require some welding? I know a few welders who might be able to help me.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #196
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

Yes, welded. You don't have to go to the extent that Canuck's done here https://forums.turbobricks.com/showp...03&postcount=8 but that's some ideas anyway.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #197
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtarkington View Post
Okay, I see what your saying. Would that require some welding? I know a few welders who might be able to help me.
I would do this:

(3) 6x6" 1/8" steel plate.
(3) nuts that fit the original bolts including the front center eyelet.

Drill holes in the current floor where the new seat mounts need to be that is just a little oversize to the nut.

Drill holes in the plates (as close to the center of the plates if you can) that will slip-fit the bolt. The rear ones will be tricky and might need some bending to get up the tunnel, and down the floor into the rear footwells.

Put some old bolts through, tighten the nuts down, weld nuts to plate.

Place plate over the new holes in the floor and weld them down. If you tack them down where ever they naturally touch the floor, you can take a 3lb sledge and beat them into the valleys, then tack some more. Then finish weld all the way around.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote