• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 manual swap questions

neurot75

Ok so i know these swaps are fairly straight forward. I used to have a 740 turbo with an m46, but got into an accident. Found a 740 wagon body in good shape and swapped the engine/m46 into that. Did not do this myself but had a shop do it who are familiar with older Volvos. They did it fairly quickly and easily. I think it was $800 for that, and some other things to swap over, like the brakes and some other stuff.

Now I'm looking for a 940 turbo, and i know they never came with manuals, or at least i havent heard of them in the US or in my parts. Anyway, i NEED me a manual, so if and when i find a suitable 940 turbo i will be searching and researching a manual swap.

i assume 940's are basically 700's just with a slightly reshaped body. So, will the tranny and driveshats simply bolt up? I hope so.

What are some other things I have to keep in mind?

How much would a swap like this run me? Ball park.

I know there are m47's floating around, but ive heard that they are softer than m46's and dont stand up to power, which i will be getting into eventually. M46's are stronger, BUT the 5th is an addon overdrive. And i remember the one I had sometimes would fail to engage right away and id have to fiddle with it. not cool while driving.

What about the T5 swap? I know its been done so many times on 240's, but what about 940's?

What are your thoughts on this issue?

If you can afford the T5 do it. Basically all your parts will swap except the flywheel, you'll need a 2.4 flywheel with the holes drilled in it for the crank sensor, other than that it's good to go, rest is the same

Do the t-5. The ratios are better, it's lighter than an M46, more reliable, better shifting, no OD bull****, etc. At this point it will only cost you a little more than going with a Volvo trans.

yea makes sense. Kinda like I'm too poor to afford cheap ****. So go with whats good for you and forget about it. Alright, so all adapter parts are found at v-performance? Or do other people make adapters also. What about the driveshaft(s)? Custom cut/made? that sounds expensive.

How much can this end up running me?

yea makes sense. Kinda like I'm too poor to afford cheap ****. So go with whats good for you and forget about it. Alright, so all adapter parts are found at v-performance? Or do other people make adapters also. What about the driveshaft(s)? Custom cut/made? that sounds expensive.

How much can this end up running me?

Avalanche Performance has the t-5 adapter that I prefer. No bellhousing mods required.

You will want the shift box relocation from http://www.kaplhenke.com/

Search the writeups on here, you will find what you want to know about it. It's better to just go to the t-5 now than swap something else in there that will not hold up causing you to swap in a t-5 anyway.

yea cant find it either. Avalanche performance sounds pretty good. I'll keep them in mind. They say its a good idea to rebuild a used t5. So would it be better to find a really cheap one and get the rebuild kit, or just find an average 300-400 one.

Regarding this, is the pressure plate off of the Volvo manual transmission any good for the 250-275 hp level? What's the best place to buy a Ford clutch with the Volvo diameter and thickness? Assuming that I have my spare manual transmission driveshaft shortened for the T5 swap ahead of time, does anyone have good measurements for the length? Where do you find a clutch cable?

Sorry, but I am gathering parts for this and I figured I'd piggy back.

Is there a full parts list for this yet? I'm swapping my 93 940 Turbo wagon over using parts from a 91 745 4 speed.

I know I need the bell housing, clutch fork, flywheel, clutch master, adapter plate, T5 trans, Pedal assembly. What am I missing?

I have also heard something about the Camaro T5 trans having a better shifter position for the 700-900 series cars than those on Mustangs T5s anyone know about that?

transmission
transmission mount
58-hole Flywheel
Clutch, pilot & throw-out bearings
new driveshaft's?
Clutch Pedal
Slave Cylinder
Clutch Hose
Clutch fork

if you have a modded 940, the m46 might not hold up. My 940 easily gets to 13-14lbs. I have the aw-71 auto gearbox, and boy would I like to manual swap my 940 brick

what is a good price for a T5 tranny? anyone?

I was also wondering about the driveshaft. I know the 240 has an adapter plate you can buy for the trans end.

https://yoshifab.com/store/drivetrain/transmission-swap/volvo.html - this page has Trans Mounts, Throwout bearings, Ford clutch, mechanical speedo cable.

Mustang guys constantly overprice these transmissions. Brand new rebuild T5 to your spec would cost around 1300$ CAD. Used and not confirmed perfect condition should be max 250$.

Back