• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04-19T alternatives - 300-400bhp target

Mine (10cm) easily did 1 bar at 3000 rpm on a milled 90+, stock engine with D cam and LH...
This was something else compared to the 18T I had before. This will work very well on a 90+, 8v and 1.5 bar.

Slightly off topic, but what were the downsides of the 18T as I just got one:-P What power level did you end up at?

For that budget, you can get a genuine nearly new Holset from eBay or Compressor Racing or the like here in the UK. Something like a HE221, HX30, HX32 (rare), HE250. HE300 or HX35 might be more than you need, but can be found with the smaller ~50mm induced compressor instead of 54/56/60mm ones, and with a smaller turbine housing they spool well. Also, Martin Leaf (Viking Fabrications) has recently started offering up pipe adapters with or without external wastegate (good idea with Holsets as internal gates are small) flange.

https://m.facebook.com/Viking-Fabrications-933788523378217/

Slightly off topic, but what were the downsides of the 18T as I just got one:-P What power level did you end up at?

No downsides really, it is a good turbo and I had plenty of fun with it. However the holset really woke the car up, the useable powerband actually got wider with it, way more torque at high engine speeds.

The mitsu turbo was better from 2000-3000rpm, after that it's a whole different story.

I disagree with the remark that mitsu's are more satisfying to (daily) drive than a decent turbo in 50-54mm range. Maybe the case with an automatic transmission, but certainly not with a manual trans. I guess it's subjective as well.

Keep in mind that the larger the turbo, the more the power band will shift upwards - to the point where the stock trans gearing isn't going to make the car pleasant to drive as a DD. Then you get into changing cams, adjustable timing gear, playing with FD ratios, and other stuff just to make it pleasant to drive again in the lower & mid range. Will end up costing way more than 4-600 quid.

The advantage to sticking with the 19T, or a 16G etc., is that they spool & build torque early. Unless you are going to drag or highway race this thing, that is way more satisfying from a driving perspective than high HP numbers, in my experience...

I?ve had fast cars in the past with a variety of driving characteristics and for the most part I?ll agree that the more drives me it is the more enjoyable.

On this occasion it?s not a daily and I want it to be fun and a bit of a hooligan if I?m honest so I?m happy to go with something bigger like a HY35 or similar. It will have all the supporting mods that you mentioned to help move the power and around and make it more drivable so there?s no additional cost as far as that?s concerned.

For that budget, you can get a genuine nearly new Holset from eBay or Compressor Racing or the like here in the UK. Something like a HE221, HX30, HX32 (rare), HE250. HE300 or HX35 might be more than you need, but can be found with the smaller ~50mm induced compressor instead of 54/56/60mm ones, and with a smaller turbine housing they spool well. Also, Martin Leaf (Viking Fabrications) has recently started offering up pipe adapters with or without external wastegate (good idea with Holsets as internal gates are small) flange.

https://m.facebook.com/Viking-Fabrications-933788523378217/
I?ve done a bit of reading and the HY35 sounds perfect with the 10cm exhaust housing, it seems like it?s right in the middle of the HX30 and HX35.

Just dropped Compressor Racing a message so hopefully they can find me one or something that performs in the same way.

Like the look of the Viking Fabrications stuff, love the idea of bringing the turbo forward in the bay, be interesting to see what effect extending the manifold to the turbo has on performance though.

No downsides really, it is a good turbo and I had plenty of fun with it. However the holset really woke the car up, the useable powerband actually got wider with it, way more torque at high engine speeds.

The mitsu turbo was better from 2000-3000rpm, after that it's a whole different story.

I disagree with the remark that mitsu's are more satisfying to (daily) drive than a decent turbo in 50-54mm range. Maybe the case with an automatic transmission, but certainly not with a manual trans. I guess it's subjective as well.

The small frame turbos like the mitsus work well on a more efficient setup like a whiteblock, they have great mid-range but suck on the top end. The TD04 turbine is tiny for something that you want to perform. Even in the whiteblock world that turbo is the primary reason those engines don't live up to their full potential and bend rods constantly. TD04's, K24s, etc etc are like a safety blanket for the volvo community, its like what everyone gravitates towards because people are 1 cheap, and 2 lagphobic. In the fwd world most people won't run anything else.

You said 3-400. By that I'm assuming you didn't mean just under 300? Because thats what an 18T will net you, realistically much less. Stick with some variation of a t3/t4 or a holset or something in that range. It will get you comfortably to your goals and have decent spool and pull all the way to redline without dropping boost like a proper turbo car should.

I have a holset hre351 with the 3.5” adapter for downpipe if you want to make some power. You’ll need an external gate but that’s no big deal. $300 with the ride as long as you’re in the lower 48.

Back