home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #26
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
The mitsu turbo was better from 2000-3000rpm, after that it's a whole different story.
Cool, thank you! Sounds like the 18t will do for now
Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #27
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Geoffrey View Post
Like the look of the Viking Fabrications stuff, love the idea of bringing the turbo forward in the bay, be interesting to see what effect extending the manifold to the turbo has on performance though.
With that said, they sure seem to like them 90 degree bends
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:51 AM   #28
242Bleek
k-jet groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
No downsides really, it is a good turbo and I had plenty of fun with it. However the holset really woke the car up, the useable powerband actually got wider with it, way more torque at high engine speeds.

The mitsu turbo was better from 2000-3000rpm, after that it's a whole different story.

I disagree with the remark that mitsu's are more satisfying to (daily) drive than a decent turbo in 50-54mm range. Maybe the case with an automatic transmission, but certainly not with a manual trans. I guess it's subjective as well.
The small frame turbos like the mitsus work well on a more efficient setup like a whiteblock, they have great mid-range but suck on the top end. The TD04 turbine is tiny for something that you want to perform. Even in the whiteblock world that turbo is the primary reason those engines don't live up to their full potential and bend rods constantly. TD04's, K24s, etc etc are like a safety blanket for the volvo community, its like what everyone gravitates towards because people are 1 cheap, and 2 lagphobic. In the fwd world most people won't run anything else.

You said 3-400. By that I'm assuming you didn't mean just under 300? Because thats what an 18T will net you, realistically much less. Stick with some variation of a t3/t4 or a holset or something in that range. It will get you comfortably to your goals and have decent spool and pull all the way to redline without dropping boost like a proper turbo car should.
82' 242t 16v-Every mod known to man kind
72' 162E-B30 (no the 2 isn't a typo)
83’ kjet with 245 attached
98’ s70x2
95' s10 awd LS 1000+club

VFBG
242Bleek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #29
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

I have a holset hre351 with the 3.5” adapter for downpipe if you want to make some power. You’ll need an external gate but that’s no big deal. $300 with the ride as long as you’re in the lower 48.

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is online now   Reply With Quote