home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Eviltwin
Board Member

Default Project BEIGE. Canadian 1983 Volvo 245 DL wagon

Hey,

long time lurker (join date 2007?) finally emerging from the bushes to say hi!
After a nice long love affair with BMW (namely E30's) I'm looking to try on something different for size.
There's something to be said about a Volvo 240 Wagon. To me, it is the epicentre of everything 1980's. The monicker to a foundation build on family road trips, early morning hockey practices, camping trips, hauling across the country to Alberta to ski, and then back.
Little did I know I'd slowly build an desire to own one. I had been in the market on and off for a solid bodied one for quite sometime, and after a view views on some higher priced late model 240 wagons, I gave up looking. RUST is apparently quite the turn off to us northerners when looking for a low buck project, nary was I less than willing to drop 8K on a "clean body" 240 wagon.

This one popped up...1983 Volvo 240 DL. Gas. 216K...needs exhaust and brakes. $1300.
okay...pics where not exactly enticing. I saw a couple of rust spots along the wheel well and wrote it off immediately.

weeks pass, price drop $800...you have my attention.
Go to check it out, and this car is 100% original.
YES there is light surface rust along the wheel wells...yes the butt cheeks need light repair, but other then that, floor, frame, cross members etc all is absolutely ROCK SOLID.
it's been Krown rustproofed since 1984 up until 2012.

I drove it away for $500.

In efforts to get it safetied, I will need new brakes (discs\pads) and a full new exhaust. manifold--> back. I'm searching online for my cheapest option. I simply need the car to get around over the summer without dumping much $ into it's current driveline.

My end goal is LS swap. Not original, I know...but it's been done aplenty and documentation is online and available. 5.3 likely, would love to snag a 6L with 4L80, but all depends on how quick I am at the junkyards.

I can't tell you all how excited I am to undertake this project. Sitting in this wagon is a throwback, from the chunky doors to the brown upholstery.

This years plans are pretty straightforward...kids stuff really.

-full Stage 0 (bushings, brakes, exhaust, tune)
-Paint
-Suspension, modest drop not "slamming by any means...I'm old)
-potentially wheels if I can finagle some kind sound out in Denmark to get some lucious Ocean Mk18's to Canada.

Summer of 2018, will be Swap time...stay tuned.

Thanks for reading all the way up to this point!

onto the only pics I have right now.

best,
Ryan

and for kicks, here's my baby.
1990 BMW 325ic Hartge H35 Tribute with all things Hartge, and fully built M30b35 engine swap.
Eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Eviltwin
Board Member

might aswell bump this up!

LSx is all swapped in, and proving to be both a) very reliable and b) fun in every sense of the word. I get the fizzies driving it, and the giggles when the go pedal is brought to the floor.

next step is a set of Ocean MK18's that are being imported from Gothenburg Sweeden later this week!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Eviltwin
Board Member

here's a 14.6 run when I feather the throttle in efforts to get traction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xkqXFNfQk

here's a wasted run, on what it looks like when I don't take it easy on the throttle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqQzp59o8M