• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

driving a very used 240 home

mikeleslie

OK I found a car I want but it is in Tucson and I live in Philly. I drove my 2000v70R to Dallas and sold it. I've been looking for a car and found nice rust free 240.

What would you change to get it home? What to bring with you? Extra parts?

1976 motor stock.

Brakes are good pads and lines newer.

What else do you think?

...m

The first thing I would change is my mind.

That's a long way to drive a car you don't know much about. At minimum replace every vacuum hose, the brakes and brake fluid, oil, trans fluid, coolant, plugs wires, fuel filter, and belts and coolant hoses. Then maybe. That's a long way.

Timing belt and tensioner along with all other belts and spares. A tune up and take a good look at the car on a lift. Make sure the alternator is charging and isn't gonna puke on you. I'd want extra plugs, cap rotor, a plug wire or two. Do the fuel filter. Extra light bulbs and some sand paper to clean terminals if needed.

Make sure you check the car over well for scorpions and black widows?

I'd be concerned about seals if the car sat a while.

Put a fuel pump relay in the glove box or at least a jumper wire if you do it maybe even bring a spare fuel pump and wrenches.

It’s a gamble, but I’ve done it before. I bought a 780 turbo with 240k on it in Virginia and drove it 2100 miles out to Utah after changing all fluids, vacuum lines and recharging the AC. Didn’t have any issues. I agree with bringIng a fuel pump relay and fuel pump spare, and some spare ignition components. I’d also change the cooling system hoses including the heater core hoses.

Also it’s probably smart to bring a DVOM and a handful of tools for diagnosing and repairing your car if you need to. I’d also make sure you download the applicable green books from www.volvowiringdiagrams.com to your phone before you start in case you break down with no cell service.

I think a good thing to do is to find out all the turbobrick members that are along the way home so you can get some reasonably close help if needed.

Check the radiator side tanks too before you leave. If it has the original brass radiator it might leak slowly but no big deal. If it has some old aftermarket plastic radiator in there then it may catastrophically fail on you.

it's been a daily for last 10 years but 3 months sitting. Has new hoses but it will be on a lift and have a mechanic look it over if I try it.

Most of the hoses are new and I will have tools and fluids. The long streches of I 10 east bound worry me. 120 miles apart

Thanks for the good info.

Even if your tires are OK break loose all of the lugs. I picked up a 240 that sat for awhile. tires looked OK but i had 2 spares. As soon as we got on the highway entrance ramp the car blew a tire. Had to wait for the free road assistance guy to come by. No way i could break loos the lugs. Even the guy with his air impact gun had a hard time. Make sure you have loooong handle breaker bar.

Honestly... I think there are good suggestions in here but people are making a big deal about it.

The REAL question is this.

Can you fly out and drive it back to Philly for less than your cost to have it transported?

I'm all for the adventure, and while I'd be panicking a bit you'll be fine. My clutch cable snapped on a drive from NY to NC. LUCKILY it happened pulling out of a rest stop so I was able to recover the iron block. I had a good amount of tools with me, but there isn't anything I can do parts wise. So I just changed my timing of cities and traffic and rev matched. Got gas and rolled it out on the starter.

Ultimately fine. Could be a long drive, could be a fun adventure.

But it's probably not as expensive as you think to ship it.

Hoses, fuel can, tools, a spare fan belt and alt belt, and a spare fuel relay.

Truthfully I would do it, its an adventure, plan for it to take way longer than normal, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

I think a good thing to do is to find out all the turbobrick members that are along the way home so you can get some reasonably close help if needed.

Good idea. Im in the ozark of Mo. Id be willing to help. If I had to I would drive 100 miles if you broke down. Also Id get some road side asst. on your insurance.

The shipping is a good idea unless you want to do the drive. The way my life is lately I would want to do it. A change in the scenery and a chance to meet some turbobricks members along the way back.

PS Be glad to help you with the car if needed when you are around the area with it. Either way hope it goes well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the offers of help. I was in Tucson for other reasons. I have the car and it needs fuel pump or relay or both. the rest looks OK. The car was a cheap 242 I really like it. No rust under it at all.
Will get it to a mechanic next week and we will see if it goes home now or later. They Quoted my 1052.00 from Tucson to Philly

The ride out was fun. Could be the way back too. I hope to meet some of you.

Hoping Napa fuel pump relay tomorrow?

Thanks...
...michael

Back