home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-04-2018, 03:49 AM   #126
c.slopsma
Board Member

Really nice project! are we going to see some dyno numbers any time soon? And would you be willing to share your dxf files of the 16v intake en exhaust manifold? Would help with a project iam starting any time soon.
c.slopsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #127
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
nice ! Did you change the bearings in the axle? Thats the next step on my list..
Nah, I repacked the bearings but didn't see a need to replace them. The axle with the leaking seal came out and the doner of the new 3,54 axle was a 1996 940 frontal accident car with not even 160k.
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #128
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.slopsma View Post
Really nice project! are we going to see some dyno numbers any time soon? And would you be willing to share your dxf files of the 16v intake en exhaust manifold? Would help with a project iam starting any time soon.
Dyno numbers might be interesting to see the power curve, but won't be anything spectacular with the current t3 50 trim. Should do a before/after though, I want to put in a new turbo, but not a priority at the moment.

I'll dig up the DXFs and post a link.

EDIT:
Link to my exhaust DXF

Link to internet exhaust DXF

Link to internet intake DXF

Link to folder with more DXFs

Last edited by JerryJS8; 05-04-2018 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #129
JerryJS8
der Junge

So.....

She's back on the road

Had a slight problem at the beginning, was still running pig rich at idle and had a hard time starting when warm. Went ahead and replaced "all the things" and even swapped out the O2 sensor for an Innovate LC-1 I bought back in 2006. Here you can see the new shiny LED and calibration button...

Bump that junk, ran worse than before and didn't do much than cause self-inflicted bald spots as I pulled out my hair and black splewdge from the car.

Here is just the beginning, it got worse, much worse as I tried to program the LC-1 outputs to make the stock ECU happy... like banging your head against a wall and expecting the wall to get out of your way. MadDog even confirmed a similar experience with LH and a wideband conversion, never again Innovate! Fool me once...

Cannabalized the other working 740 wagon of its O2 and installed the stock unit in a second location now everything is well!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then I went and got digital...

Got the idea and the base code from a thread posted here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5673219

Never did like the big ole' analog gauge on the A pillar, so I thought the stealthy aspect of integrating a small display into the instrument panel was a nice touch. But I didn't want everything showing in Bar, so I modified the code to show vacuum in Hg and pressure in PSI.

3D-modelled reproduction of the original...

3D-model modifications to add a 0.91 Inch OLED display plus arduino Nano and pressure sensor

3D-printed unit

Go time!

Plan is to have the bottom left show manifold pressure and the bottom right AFR. Problem is, the 12v to 5v converter I installed to power the Arduino units blew up and took the first unit out in a puff of smoke... No biggie, the things only cost a few dollars, but add another week of waiting till the new toys are up and running.

Until then, vroom vroom!

Last edited by JerryJS8; 06-18-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #130
Sander
Good news everyone!

Looks great! You should start selling these
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #131
JerryJS8
der Junge

^
Yeah, don't know about that

Got back to button up some smaller things. I now have a functioning electric antenna

And I found the source for a couple of leaks around the taillights. Whenever it rained I had a bit of water in both trunk pockets and thought I fixed it when I added some silicone on the backside of both gaskets. Was still leaking, so I got to looking around a bit more and found the body filler just above both lights had cracked and water was seeping inbetween the body panels into the trunk. Quick, screwdriver to scrape off the old and some new body panel glue to the rescue. Now it's nice and dry!

Now that she's back on the road, it's fun to fix the little things. You can get a lot more boxes checked off in an afternoon when it's not a complete drivetrain swap on your todo list

Last edited by JerryJS8; 06-18-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #132
skjarlie

your 3D printed parts look awsome! I also got water in the trunk pockets, have to check the taillights as well
skjarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #133
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

That boost and AFR gauge are going to be sweet! I might have to bug you for help on the afr... I have a down the road project hats going to need a stealth afr gauge. Super rad!
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #134
JerryJS8
der Junge

@skjarlie
Guess you can see that the 3d printer has become my favorite tool in the workshop, lol.

Gotta get those leaks in your trunk fixed! Here's where I found mine

Left

Right

@Doug
Aight, we'll see what we can do about that, it'll only cost you a guitar
Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #135
skjarlie

Thanks Jerry! Now i know what to look for spent a lot of time getting the coupe 100% waterproof, just the trunk left.

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to the arduino project
skjarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #136
240wagonguy
Board Member

My trunk leaks bad, I get pools in the pockets after it rains. I can only imagine the sealer is all dried up after the car spent most of it's life in Ca.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #137
JerryJS8
der Junge

Nothing new in the new parts department, got some more displays and arduinos in the mail and am working on getting them installed.

Went on a short roadtrip though, her first real trip since the rebuild and the first interstate drive in Germany. The new tranny and axle was a great idea. Around 500 miles and nothing bad happened, except for the rear being misted with oil... The cam cover was leaking a bit so I reinstalled the gasket with high temp silicone. Now it's good and dry and should hold for a while. Also did the second oil change since the rebuild. No metal flakes, just smelled like fuel from running rich for that little while. Was to be expected.

But it's a great daily driver, very pleased with the results. Surprisingly quick to steer, no clunking, chatter or sqeaking going down the road and the motor always has instant power in reserve.

So now I can say stage 0 complete!

Last edited by JerryJS8; 06-30-2018 at 03:57 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #138
JerryJS8
der Junge

Kaka!

----------------------------------

On the way into the garage yesterday I noticed the car wasn't making a lot of power and I was only getting like max 10psi, then 4psi, then I heard a sound like rubber diaphram exploded... good thing I was on my way into the garage anyway.

My 3d printed inlet for the recirc valve lost the large nut and sent it into the turbine. My bad for modelling the darn thing with pieces that might eventually come loose and jettison into the intake. Lessons learned...

At least I was able to find all the pieces in the intercooler, and not the exhaust. Glad it won't end up being an expensive lesson

So I went ahead and took out all the things and gave them a good wash.

Just a minor setback...

But, you know those days where you wake up and say "I want a bigger turbo"? They've been happening quite a lot lately. Now I'm ending the day saying "I need a new turbo", so why not get an upgrade as a replacement?

Sucks to be out of a car for a few weeks, but doesn't seem to be any other damage to anything but the turbine. I ordered a new machined 11-blade 60 trim compressor wheel, 360° bearing kit and bearing housing with the turbine balancing service. This just might end up being a good thing.

So now stage 1 begins!

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-07-2018 at 03:51 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #139
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

dang.. shi7e..
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #140
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
dang.. shi7e..
It's Kaka!

But luckily not the end of it all.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #141
JerryJS8
der Junge

Finally got the new parts in the mail yesterday. Everything balanced and shiny!

Broken vs. Not-Broken

Just one problem, my housing is not big enough for the 60 trim wheel... I bought another turbo that the seller thought was a 60 trim to get a compressor housing on the cheap, but no luck. Turned out to be just another 50 trim So, I made a call at work and was able to get some technicians involved to up the professionalism!

With a 5-achse CNC it's easy to shoot out the parts you need with the right model, difficult part is not having the geometries for the new wheel... So we went around and saw what fun toys, I mean tools, we had at our disposal.

Our first lab had a pretty nice unit, but only gave us a window of about one square inch. The lab next door works at the micro level and could have measured the hills at valleys of the polished turbine surface, pretty nice, but the turbine is a bit larger than 170 microns... On the other side of the machine park we found some more appropriate materials for that which had to be done.

Quick pic of a working model, not the final result...

So a couple of hours later we had a "prototype" made up and checked the fit as best we could.

The new turbine should be a direct replacement, but the radii and trailing edges actually had some different angles once compared to the stock compressor housing. So I'm glad we measured the turbine and not the housing. Tomorrow morning we'll machine the housing with the current model which has a 0.6mm (0.0235") wheel to housing gap and see what becomes of it! Measuring the stock housing, the 50 trim has a 0.45mm gap, but the stock 6+6 blades are shorter and smaller in diameter than the billet wheel. So that's why I went with 0.60mm, otherwise with the journal bearing play allowing the shaft to tilt, the tips might risk scraping against the housing. Worst case scenario we need to try again. No problem though, I got another housing or two laying around the garage

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-24-2018 at 12:07 AM..
Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 AM   #142
JerryJS8
der Junge

Got the turbo installed friday night, had to R/R the thing three times to get the housings properly clocked. Could have avoided that by marking the exhaust housing beforehand

Thing looks good, but I should have gone with the smaller diameter with the 0.45mm gap. Definitely have 0.15mm to spare before the turbine would rub against the housing when trying to push the turbine to the side. Meh. I'll have another housing machined with a tighter tolerance, but swapping them out can wait till I remove the turbo again another time.

Gappy gap gap?

Still looks good though

And then I found a much more solid intake pipe than the one I cobbled together and had been running. It's from a 1998 2.0 turbo V40 and has the original pre-heated inlet for the crankcase breather hose. Really happy with the original look of it!

Just gotta do something about the recirc valve inlet... the necessary part has been ordered! I'll get rid of the shiny screw as well...

At the moment I had to re-install the turbo with the stock exhaust housing, future plans (spring/summer 2019) are to swap with the cossie then go with 3" downpipe and a comfortably quiet 2.5" exhaust.

All in all the powerband has improved at lot; it's much smoother all the way up till the redline. The 50 trim rapidly lost steam after 5500 rpms, and was really peaky around 3000. The motor now has a flatter yet brutal torque curve that feels like an S60R.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-23-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #143
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Great. Cool solutions! Glad to see it's running good again after the bad luck with the turbo.

Good choice on the Cosworth housing, have a similar setup with such a t3 on the 16v 760 and it's a nice combination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #144
InTheWhite
Board Member

Realy nice car you got here!

Did you notice anything different after you installed the do88 IC in the car?
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #145
JerryJS8
der Junge

I am looking forward to installing the other housing! What's really holding the engine back now is the stock air filter and stock exhaust. But all in good time :-)

After installing the do88 I didn't notice anything with quicker spool, but the motor did gain a little bit more punch and a few more rpms before the 50 trim would fall on its face. Dollars to powers it was the worst upgrade I've done so far, and besides the motor being slightly more peppy in-town, at my previous power levels where I swapped it in I didn't expect to see much improvement. Once I open up the exhaust and get the intake done it'll be a worthwhile piece that'll compliment the build.

@JW240
I'm a bit jealous of your big ole' lathe! But I've never seen a green interior before, sweet stuff!

I've been considering converting to LEDs, are they still holding up on your DD? I think I'll put that on my list of things to do in preparation for the fall/winter...

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-24-2018 at 02:48 AM..
Old 07-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #146
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
@JW240
I'm a bit jealous of your big ole' lathe! But I've never seen a green interior before, sweet stuff!

I've been considering converting to LEDs, are they still holding up on your DD? I think I'll put that on my list of things to do in preparation for the fall/winter...
Thanks! It's a bit of a beast haha.

The h4 leds are holding up excellent. Since the install I covered more than 20k, lights always on. The ba15s in the front, one started flickering. Rear brake lights still perfect. For a 7xx I think the lights with braided cooling fins could be easier to fit, even with the cap on the back of the light bucket. Oh and I think there are various versions available now with other color than 6000K,even seen 3000K now. Maybe fits the car better and less suspicious at TÜV?
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #147
JerryJS8
der Junge

Well, did a little researching about replacing the H4s with LEDs and that's a total no-go with the TÜV. You can replace lightbulbs in the interior with LEDs, but none of the external lighting. Didn't think the european laws would be so strict about lamps and LEDs, but no possiblity to get an exemption means no... bummer!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #148
MrKrabs
Board Member

Loved getting to see your car in person! All of your mods looked real clean and OEM. Wished I had the time to get a ride in it. Keep it up
MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #149
JerryJS8
der Junge

Glad I could help out! Next time I'll take you for a ride, but you gotta take me drifting!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #150
JerryJS8
der Junge

Back in the garage for an hour our two, just tidying up a couple things. Been having a problem with the starter not engaging when the car is really warm. Exciter wire connection on the starter was a bit loose, with a pair of pliers bent it back to a nice fit. It's an intermittent problem, so it's not like you fix one thing and it's all of a sudden gone. Ended up not changing anything... Found some suspicious wires behind the ignition switch, like someone tried to install an alarm? Anyway, the big pink cable that runs voltage to the starter had been pig tailed together and wrapped in electrical tape. Getting out the solder gun fixed that, and it's just that kind of thing that keeps me busy most of the time. Getting everything back to the original condition, redoing wiring hack jobs from whenever in the past to a solid soldered fix etc. Just a good feeling when you know that wire won't be making any problems anytime soon. Anyway, could definitely tell right away that that was the problem. Super! Starter now engages crisply like never before.

And I also thought I had fixed the trunk leaks, nope, not quite! There wasn't a mass of water flowing in anymore, but after a long hard rain there just a bit of moisture in the trunk that took a while to find the point of intrusion.

But again, the panel glue was the weak point on both sides! But this time it was beneath the rear tail lights...

Got out the body panel glue and squished it in good.

Smear it, smear it everywhere!

Fixed!

Now I need to wash the car at some point... getting pretty dusty. We got this wash box place around the corner that has pressure washers with really hot soapy water, most effective wash in town!