• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

best twin scroll for this application

fastcomet

Ive done alot of searching and not finding much updated info. Seems like all I find is HX35. Heres the appl.
90 240
530 ported head with larger valves.
Stage 2 or 3 cam
H beam rods
B230ft stock stroke
new pistons Stock
divided header
kjet intake
E85 all the way.
NPR intercooler
big radaitor
oil cooler
huge trans cooler
aw71 for know working on adapters for better auto.
3.73 gears posi.
Semi daily driver.
thelostartof chips.

-want quick spool with good top end. Not planning to spin it over 6500. I know hx35 probably isnt the best option. But not finding much info. Thank you for your time and patients.

Borg warner makes nice units.
S252SX-E would be a nice turbo for you.

That said a HX35 12cm should also work well with the divided manifold.

Borg warner makes nice units.
S252SX-E would be a nice turbo for you.

That said a HX35 12cm should also work well with the divided manifold.

havnt bought my manifold yet. Ive seen the NA manifolds fab'd to bolt up a twin s.That seems Tbricks way, its cheap and functional or is it better to buy aftermarket manifold.

My goals would be 450-500 hp at crank at the lowest rpm possible. Budget, Ill save until I have enough dough. Like to spend less than 1000 for a turbo. Id like to buy a used one and rebuild it. Now that Ive rebuilt couple of turbos, seems to be a simple task.

thelostartof chips.

Not planning to spin it over 6500.

My goals would be 450-500 hp at crank

Like to spend less than 1000 for a turbo.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
[/QUOTe

-Sorry, you ask what were my goals. That why I hate giving hp #'s. Ive always set goals high. If I lowered it them then I would hear thats to easy. Im learning and Im young. While Im asking, anybody have pictures of taking NA manifold and setting it up for a twin scroll. OR that not a best setup for torque monster. The 1000 budget is just for the turbo it self. Total budget not including parts I already have, is well over that.
So,found this link and thinking of building this manifold. Money saved on manifold can go towards turbo and other parts.http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4449816&postcount=19

Last edited:
At that price point your options are severely limited. Garrett's GTW series is good value but I've never seen one with a divided inlet turbine housing. Your best bet is probably to roll the dice on some chinese junk and hope it doesn't blow up. A good turbo costs real money, there's no other way about it.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that an upgraded turbo from a Mitsubishi Evo might fit all the requirements. Evo VIII and IX were reverse rotation (counterclockwise rotation viewed from compressor inlet) on the 4G63 and Evo X went to a standard rotation turbo along with the whole new 4B11T engine. They all have a funky unique inlet flange and outlet flange, but they are twin scroll and probably cheap. I'm not talking about stock Evo turbos, but some sort of bigger MHI TD05 that someone had upgraded to, or ATP even makes bolt-on versions of GT / GTX turbos for these engines as well. And there was a factory Garrett upgrade kit for the Evo X with GTX3071R and GTX3076R in several different turbine A/Rs.

In any case a used turbo from someone upgrading to something bigger is probably your best bet for 500hp under $1k with twin-scroll and not chinabay.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that an upgraded turbo from a Mitsubishi Evo might fit all the requirements. Evo VIII and IX were reverse rotation (counterclockwise rotation viewed from compressor inlet) on the 4G63 and Evo X went to a standard rotation turbo along with the whole new 4B11T engine. They all have a funky unique inlet flange and outlet flange, but they are twin scroll and probably cheap. I'm not talking about stock Evo turbos, but some sort of bigger MHI TD05 that someone had upgraded to, or ATP even makes bolt-on versions of GT / GTX turbos for these engines as well. And there was a factory Garrett upgrade kit for the Evo X with GTX3071R and GTX3076R in several different turbine A/Rs.

In any case a used turbo from someone upgrading to something bigger is probably your best bet for 500hp under $1k with twin-scroll and not chinabay.

Thanks for the information. I can just save money longer and peddle some more parts. I just assume to stay away from chinabay turbos. I know some people get by running them but Im not gonna take chance. This info give me a starting point. Thanks

check out those Evo turbos, man looks like a mess. Must weigh alot. But can find them used and parts are available for them.

No worries. Just keep in mind that the stock Evo turbos likely won't flow enough to support your 500hp goal. It's a weird package indeed, and they are heavy, yes, but maybe a cost effective basis.

I realized after I typed the last post that my avatar << is the Evo X upgrade kit that I worked on in 2007-2008. New unique castings for compressor and turbine housings to fit all the Evo specific attachments, but with a GTX30R center section. ATP took those unique housings and found a way to fit 35R CHRAs in them. Really nice upgrade for that car, but if you do get any type of Evo turbo and build a manifold and downpipe for it, you are pretty much committed at that point to stick with those funky flanges.

You?re not going to get there with LH

this is my real point. The highly non-specific list of evidently intended supporting mods and a 500hp goal makes me think this is just a thought exercise. I think there's a LOT of work to do here before you go selecting a turbo.

Then again maybe I'm wrong and there's a bunch of 500hp cars running a chip tune and an aw71.

this is my real point. The highly non-specific list of evidently intended supporting mods and a 500hp goal makes me think this is just a thought exercise. I think there's a LOT of work to do here before you go selecting a turbo.

Then again maybe I'm wrong and there's a bunch of 500hp cars running a chip tune and an aw71.

No problem with doubters. Your right I have alot of work to do and realize megasquirt might be a better route. I figure the turbo will probably be most expensive part. I cant build my manifold until I know which turbo. Again thanks for all the input.

No problem with doubters. Your right I have alot of work to do and realize megasquirt might be a better route. I figure the turbo will probably be most expensive part. I cant build my manifold until I know which turbo. Again thanks for all the input.

I've seen a lot of people chase their tail with chips for a long time before finally going stand alone. I built my car for megasquirt off the bat and have never had a reason to regret it. Would recommend as that path comes up you get in touch with Kenny/Linuxman here on the boards. I don't think I would have been as successful without his time and exchanging about 10,000 emails.

fair point on the turbo. Last year I put an EFR 7670 on my car and have been very impressed with it. Prior to that I had an HX35, which definitely got the job done but is not as refined as the EFR. I built my car for a reliable 400whp.

With a custom header and a non-b230ft intake manifold the NPR intercooler doesn't make sense to me since it's main benefit is as a drop-in.

I'll offer that a 350hp redblock 240 is a pretty damn quick car and plenty of fun. I think the difference between that and 500hp is exponential in terms of money. There's a bunch of people on here with 350hp cars, there's a much smaller number with 450+ 4 cylinders.

Back