• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ostrich 2.0 failure?

volvoboy90

sanna kärlek är svensk
Hey all, In the midst of trying to figure out a poor running issue on my 244, I thought I would try to re-tune. I had just gotten to the main fuel map, and was adjusting parameters when it just suddenly, flat-out died. So I reverted back any changes I had done, and tried to start. I noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. After messing with several things, it seems it was the ostrich that caused the issue. I know the internal battery can die, but does it cause this issue? I looked inside, and it seems like it might be a pain/destructive to pull the battery out since the contacts seem to be soldered onto the battery itself. Has anyone had this issue? I put the stock chip in the ecu and it is now running, so it was the ostrich.

HI

You changed stuff while engine was running ?
Have had bad experiences with that earlier if so...

YS
Jaybee

Ok, my aggravation with this knows no bounds. Yes, I was adjusting things in the main fuel map with the engine running. That was how I set up my base tune that I have been using for months. So putting my stock chip in allowed it to start and run, but it caused my old issue with the fuel relay to come screaming back. Something serious is going on here, and it is very negatively affecting the driveability. I was coming back to work from lunch, and she stalled 3 times in a row because the ecu stopped running the fuel pump relay. Help!

Two toasted fuel pump relays in a row? This has been a reoccuring issue that went quiet for a while after I got my 9xx series ecu and hooked the ostrich up to it. In figuring out what went wrong last night, I loaded the bin I had where it ran ok-ish, then I pulled the ecu fuse, then I swapped out relays, then I looked at my fuel relay fuses.

Last sentence doesn't make sense. Anyway, whether the relay gets toasted or not does not have to do with the ECU. Failing relay is usually a symptom of too much current going in, or a bad ground.

Sorry, at work, typing is slightly rushed. Anyways, are there more grounds for the fuel injection system than the two on the fuel rail? Anything specific you would recommend checking?

I feel I should mention that this morning, on my way to work it behaved fine, *except* for when I got into boost the first and only time, it pinged. I watched my wideband and it showed that it would start to enrich, then lean out (14's!) I have never had ping before, even with stock chips.

2.4 always leans out the mixture when boost first comes in. There are a couple ways to fix that, but this is completely normal.

Well I'll be... It works, runs, doesn't stall or cut out. Remind me again how important it is that each of those tiny pins finds their way into the chip housing. One of the legs on my stock chip was bent up, and wasn't in it's slot.

Don't adjust your tune while the car is running and always correct the checksum with ipdown's tool before saving the adjustments to the Ostrich. You shouldn't have any problems doing it that way.

you can make changes to the tune while it's running, but not live changes. and just be prepared to re-set the ecu periodically if you do.

Thats pretty much the point of using an Ostrich though to be able to modify data on the fly as well as tracing. Works fine with many other EMS, is this just a "limitation" of LH? There are certain values that I would only adjust when the car is not running, but VE and timing should not be a problem.

you mess with the ve table and don't correct the checksum and it's going to bail on you.

Back