• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric fan conversion to 760 Turbo

hey thats good info about the sensor, i recently pulled a brand new radiator from a scrapped 940 which has the sensor too. LH is a bit lazy with turning on the Efan in my 240 so this sensor will be connected too. nice.

Previously VDO had a .pdf file on their web-site with all technical info of their sensors, with cross-references between the automobile brands, thread sizes, resistance relative to temps, on/off levels etc.

After the Continental take-over, there's nothing useful on their website. I think I have the .pdf on a 'puter at home.

-EDIT-

Not the same, but useful info nontheless: http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/downloads/vdocatalogue and tech info.pdf

i already have the e-fan from a 965 for my 745 but looking for the temperature sensor
, it?s obrigatory to put an saab sensor? aren?t they all the same? is the e-fan 1 or 2 speeds? on what temp must the sensor open? 90degres?

Previously VDO had a .pdf file on their web-site with all technical info of their sensors, with cross-references between the automobile brands, thread sizes, resistance relative to temps, on/off levels etc.

After the Continental take-over, there's nothing useful on their website. I think I have the .pdf on a 'puter at home.

-EDIT-

Not the same, but useful info nontheless: http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/downloads/vdocatalogue and tech info.pdf

thanks for the link, that will come in handy!

i've been wondering what the temperature rating is of the saab in-line unit?

does anyone know this??????

there is no direct volvo sensor for this application, at least not that i am aware of. Remove the old sensor from the T-piece, go to auto parts place and ask for a sensor of the same size but of a different temperature. From the top of my head: 87/92C (its a dual sensor).

edit: i dont remember the temp of the sensor that was included, indeed strange that it isnt the right one actually, maybe it was never installed. whats the temp of the sensor?

:nod:

doh! :doh:

haha thanks man i need to look harder.

so for us USofAers i got the fahrenheit conversion. on at 198degF off at 189degF

i have the relays, and fan from a 960 ready to go and i'm just going to do what mike ( thelostartof) suggested.. buy an universal adjustable thermostat from the local parts store (20 bucks) and call it a day

Thermo-contact.jpg

You want the 1378869 rubber bushing and 1274962 thermo contact. Now, can be skip the silly SAAB switch please? :-P

The 3531097 seal and 3515272 temperature sensor are B204GT only. (OH! Sensor? High-tech!)

just bumping this, never got around to it till recenlty.. i got the issue that the efan doesnt fit between the radiator and the waterpump pully... think its the Ebay IC i jammed in to the radiator, might need to relocate it more to the front now that i got the A/C out of the car.. work in progress

i have the relays, and fan from a 960 ready to go and i'm just going to do what mike ( thelostartof) suggested.. buy an universal adjustable thermostat from the local parts store (20 bucks) and call it a day

Is that one with a probe that just sticks into the rad? got a link for what you purchased?

just bumping this, never got around to it till recenlty.. i got the issue that the efan doesnt fit between the radiator and the waterpump pully... think its the Ebay IC i jammed in to the radiator, might need to relocate it more to the front now that i got the A/C out of the car.. work in progress

Someone was saying a 340(?) water pump is shorter and doesn't have that issue. I am trying to figure out this same issue my self. Does anyone know if a shorter profile fan then the volvo one? Can anyone think of a way to change the pulley so it's shorter?

I have been toying with the idea of moving to an electric water pump so i can eliminate that pulley.

Someone was saying a 340(?) water pump is shorter and doesn't have that issue. I am trying to figure out this same issue my self. Does anyone know if a shorter profile fan then the volvo one? Can anyone think of a way to change the pulley so it's shorter?

I have been toying with the idea of moving to an electric water pump so i can eliminate that pulley.

From what i know the 360 waterpump isn't the solution its the 360 waterpump pully with the waterpump that makes the difference

i thought the saab (dual) one had something like 97/102, while our volvos need 87/92. but there are a lot of threads about that, more info there.

The SAAB sensor is on the hot side, the Volvo is on the cold side of the radiator.

From what i know the 360 waterpump isn't the solution its the 360 waterpump pully with the waterpump that makes the difference

I have a 31x12x4 Intercooler in my car with a 92+ n/a rad with the elec fan on it. Fits just fine when you move the fan to the other side of the rad. As in cut the shroud and move the fan from the pass side to the drivers side.

Hmmm cause i'd think the pulley would be basically the same as it is the snout on the water pump that makes the pulley stick out. Actually i'd think you'd need both.

Today we fixed the e-fan conversion and tested it out. worked great but no working sender
We want to install 2 senders, one in the radiator and one in the hose for the 2 speed function to work
what would be the best temps to take for the radiator and the lower radiator hose

img0747o.jpg

Last edited:
Back