home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

Default 1982 264 GLE M46'd.

All pics are now gone, update at bottom.

Well, it's been long enough since I joined, I've done a short site on the partial rip down of my car for rebuilding back to a clean standard, so far the dash and front carpet is up as well as the front seats, and discovered rust which I am now getting on top of repairing, just surface rust however, but yeah, though I should dedicate a thread with the hope of being able to ask questions about my car within my own thread too.

The interior missing lower dash and carpet:

and then I pulled up the matting on the passenger side which I found to be damp, it looked like this the other day after stripping off the soundproofing (or whatever it is)

Bought a wire brush as I couldn't locate Dad's under all the junk on the bench in the garage and some of it has gone straight away, but it was also raining so I was limited to working inside the car without much movement (i putt he drivers seat in to move it off the lawn to mow it.

Now, the damage on the side.

As you can see, there is a patch of rust on the left rear door, and the front quarter is damaged and the left door is forwards form where it should be, the damage was caused by the previous owner reversing out of his garage with his foot in the door and he accelerated a bit hard, and the door opened and hit the garage, which explains why there isn't a door pocket on that side.

That's the door that was damaged, I'm using it to practice panel beating on, though I haven't had another go at it since I just whacked the crap out of it, haven't located a book on it, I know I have one around, and couldn't find anything on the net (didnt type the right keyword in I think), but for the moment i'm concentrating on the interior wiring, getting it all working right, and cleaning all the trim and carpet, seats are perfect as they were in sheepskins, the front no longer has them but the rear does, the wiring is a nice mess as the previous owner has exteneded some and other things without soldering anything, so I'm going to solder everything and with the correct colours. Probably also relocated the electric mirror control to the door for ease of use, will have to use one from another car, just need to have a look through cars at the wreckers for that though.

And I paint shop pro'd some red tails for it, as I really would do them (though I would clear coat the other lights in the cluster too), the reverse is lighter red because of legalities here.

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.

264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
1964 122s

88 760GLE

Last edited by VQ; 01-12-2007 at 10:30 AM..
VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Forg
Board Member

I'll be interested to see how it all pans-out in the end!

Any thoughts about putting a manual 'box in it, if the parts come-up at the right price?

Oh, and be careful about those indicators in red; I don't know if the laws would allow for that? You can get away with clear 'cos the bulbs are amber, but you can't really turn red to amber using lighting (can you? Hmm ...).

Shatner: The Colonel is breakdancing ... gimme a break!!
Rollins: Credit terms raised!
Shatner: I can't get behind any of that!
Shatner: I can't get behind so-called singers that can't carry a tune, get paid for talking, how easy is that? Well, maybe I could get behind that ...
Rollins: Well, I can't!!
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 AM   #3
VQ

A heap of euro's now have red indicators, I know the CLK has that as well.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
ashvolvo
2 > 7

Thats a pity that your damage is on the RHS.
I have a LF guard you could have had for nothing!

1998 V70T5
2004 Holden Commodore wagon
ashvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Acid8000
Board Member

Damn nice 264, are you keeping the original 6 Cyl beast in thier? Would be great to actually see a 6 cyl'y 264 around, Most of them around here have had thier engines torn out and a 4 cyl B21F put in em or a B23F. Keep up the good work, itl pay off in the end

Daily Driver: '83 242Ti w/ B21FTi and M46. IPD Sways, Bilstein HD Struts, Lowering Coils. Mistu 13c @ 10psi - Her name is Domino.
Hi my name is Jason, i'm addicted to boost
Acid8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
CountOfNowhere
Board Member

that is a really pretty color...

nice car.
CountOfNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
VQ

For the moment, it will still be a V6, I will be lifting the motor before July next year, do the heads, change the gaskets, have the ports cleaned, drill out the rockers a bit larger to prevent blocking, get rid of the viscous fan and stock electric fan and stick on a AU twin thermo fan on the front of the radiator, as I'm able to source one cheap and they are a lot more efficient. And change the intake to a 760 intake, move the battery to the boot too. That's just under the hood.

Distant future engine wise, pending on cost, I'll be using a AW71 as it is cheaper, but if i can find a manual at that time I would definetly go for it.

Thanks guys, going to get the drill with the wire brush on it onto the rust as I'm too lazy to use it by hand. all surface though.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
VQ

OK, have attacked the rust, this is how it looks now:

Have also started cleaning the dust off the gunk on the itnerior plastics, starting on the glovebox (rescrewed the mirror and vacumed it out and stuff) and the airvents in the dash, have them soaking in water, but it isn't moving much dust, I'm going to pressure wash them too.

I've chipped away the paint that was lifting where there is rust on the door as well, it's a fair bit bigger then it first was, put some rust converter on it, but need to know about the paint color to paint it, as I do need to paint over the rust once it's gone, but not for a while, will sand it back and spray the area over. Also put the rust converter on the floor to remove what was left will attack that.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
VQ

It's been a while, but now I have pics to post again, I won't post the whole threeish months of progress, just the important stuff, my site which is linked has the rest of the images, in a monthly order too!

The Beauty Shot.

My new rear door next to my old rear door.

The gap the good one fills.

Sick, but cleaner engine and bat (still is sick actually, however that will be solved quite soon with a near new distributor cap, rotor, leads and new spark plugs thanks to Aussie Volvo!)

My primered then tar matt covered floor, now rust free.

The rear seat that I had trouble getting out, came out quite easy, twist the top of the poles under the parcel shelf and the headrests come right out! Also note, much cleaner carpet, shampooed by me.

And the work I did yesterday, with my head unit in (eurovox cassette as I am saving up for a MP3 stacker thing) sounds good, and I'm very happy with the fact I have it back in. now I just need seats and I can move outwards.

I still have a large list of things to do, fluids need to be changed, front indicators need to be replace, rear lenses need to be replaced (as they take on water) and I need new headlight lenses, as mine as chipped, the ball joints need to be replaced and of course I need to fix up the damage on the front quarter, gonna be about the same to repair or replace, so whichever i get an offer for first I'll do, most likely repair as I need to touch up a heap on the car.

Also, obtained some lenses and have been playing with them, which ones do you like best?

I like the strip style as it means that while it's red, I still have the original indicator or reverse light colour which should make it more legal.

These of course were hand painted, the real work would be sprayed on.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
VQ

Update, I've got the car working, again, changed the plugs and worked out why it didn't start, knocked a block of wires off when i installed my stereo, which was when I stopped working, now I can put together the interior and clean everythig else, then get the damged RHS gaurd replaced or repaired, my server I was using lost lots of data and they won't give ti back to me so I'll sort something out for pics soon.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #11
VQ

Well, after about 5 months of fiddling, the car interior is looking good and together, but I still think the central locking is draining the electrics.
The interior in october when I bought it.

Interior in December:

Tonight:

And a clean boot:

Before:

And the sheepskins:

Just need to repair/replace panel on the outside to be done there.

The engine is running, but is misfiring, smoothing out at 2500rpm or so, the plugs, leads, rotor and cap has been replaced, I'll be taking it to the mechanic soon so with any luck it will be sorted, also has anyone got some 850 headlight wipers I can buy to replace the stock ones as they are breaking everytime I fix one bit, another bit goes.

overall, even if it has taken too long to sort out little things, the big picture is looking good for it to be ready for use in the middle of july.

obviously taken from my other post, though this page could actually use pics.

took it for the Volvo club test and tune day, didn't get it diagnosed, but I found a key to the car hidden in those magnetic help key boxes, erm, also need to tighten the wheel bearings, replace the UV joint, and the sway bar bushings, that is at least for it to get it registered.

The step after that mechanically are:
B280 conversion, rebuilt AW71 and B280, around the 200RWHP mark. Possibly a taller diff ratio. With that done, i have a competent car with enough power to scare myself and other cars for a while, proving that Volvo's aren't that boring and slow.

Plans mechanically:
Source a damaged 760, rebuild+upgrade AW71 and motor, 200RWHP is the aim.
Taller diff ratio.
Sump Guard.
relocate battery to boot

Cosmetically:
Tinted windows (as A/C is out of gas).
Bross rear lower bumper (possibly a replica)
850R front spolier(assuming this decreases lift at speed) otherwise, deepening of stock spoiler with help from DVS.
5.1 sorround sound stereo, for sound quality.
Get unmatched panels resprayed to at least look decent.
Neaten engine bay, weld up holes.
Red tails.

This is the stage one plans, stage two involves me having a daily driver, TT+I go in, car is stripped and rebuilt to show car level, rear mini-tubbed and braced, 17 inch 5 spokes, underside stripped and whole car resprayed purple-black-blue mix, shortened bonnet, or 86> bonnet and grille. New seats front and rear, remoulded, custom centre console, modified transmission tunnel, modified console, just about everything changed, hope to impress a few people with it at shows as well as satisfying the perfectionist in me.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:57 AM   #12
VQ

Added 850 wipers.

I then painted the headlight surrounds black but neglegted to take pics of the whole process.

Buying straight front mudgaurd on Thursday, getting it looked at professionally too as I do not want to touch under there till I have a b280 to fiddle with.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
AustVolvo
Board Member

Seeing as you're in Australia (and I am) you may be interested to know I have a 264 GLE parts car. So chuck a PM my way if you're in need of some particular part and I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #14
VQ

Well, I turned 18, I got my probationary licsense, and now I have my car registered. Took some pics today at the nearby park.

I call this one, "the widebody look" :p

I've done some testing, it spins the tyres reletivly easily, and does 0-100km/h in about 11 seconds, which is good for my car, however it definetly isn't running right and is using heaps of fuel.

The next step now is: I've located a 264 GLE manual, I'll be buying that and taking the manual swap into it, this will be followed by new discs and pads for the brakes, by then I should also have sold off enough of the other 264 and I'll be buying a >88 760 for a b280 and rebuilding that, and most likely having to go back to auto for a while.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
VQ

Went down to the wreckers today, there was this dark grey metallic 87 wagon with a dark interior there, was worn like anything it also had a M47, loved the colour, anyway it also had the smaller wheel in it that was in ok condition, paid $22 for it and took it home and cleaned it up and it looks brilliant, not much smaller but a lot thicker rim, and I'm very happy with it, saved a lot compared to looking at other places.

Prices of 88> 760's have come down again and with any luck in a bit I'll have one.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
VQ

Have added rear tail light panel, front headlight protectors, and done some cleaning.

Also found this at the wreckers:

Out of one of these:

Citroen XM

Got it home.

Cleaned it up.

Where it'll end up once I get some money together and buy a b280 block.

The plan is now to equally spend money on the engine rebuild, and on suspension, will be buying a manual setup, though wont' expect the m46 to last long behind my motor.

The motor is a 24V even fire 3.0 90 degree PRV motor, I will be using MS to control it and will be installing reco'd accessories on it, preferably better/cheaper ones (like a GM Alternator etc), I will need to work out how to control the variable intake manifold with MS and generally learn MS and work out what injectors are needed, as long as a lot of other bits and pieces, it won't be in anytime soon either.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #17
VQ

Engine pump died on Saturday in the heat, front bearing was gone and the fan was wobbling, has damaged the radiator and the fan itself, and also lost all the water in the engine through the front of the pump, luckily I have a B280 that I got the day before that I can stick on to replace it, and I also have killed my BW55, won't hold 3rd gear, so I'm going to be buying a full manual set-up from a Volvo shop out of another 264, get another radiator and run a twin thermo fan.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
VQ

More to report, M46 and associated bits are here, radiator has been purchased, twin thermo fan's is slightly too wide but with the 260 engine bay it's not that big a inconvenience, I will be using a b280 water pump, does anyone know if the sensor on the thermostat area there is switch or thermo coupling?

Car is also now one shade of blue and is straight, however the replacement panels are a bit faded, unsure of what to use to fix that up.

Pics will be uploaded and added when my phone wants to talk to the computer.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #19
VQ

I'm ready to give up on this thing, getting the manual gearbox is really getting to me, I neglected to put the starter in at the same time that me and dad installed the gearbox, now I need to remove the oil filter, which means spending more money I don't really have, and the deadline for this to be done is tommorow night, as dad wants it out of the driveway. Combined with that fact that I'm not feeling well means it's not likely to be done.

Does anyone know how the clutch fork lever goes on? Does the spring go in front of the ball or behind it?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #20
VQ

No pictures still, but the transmission is in, the overdrive is still yet to work sadly, but that's next on the list as well as working out why my dash lights don't work, it's good fun, wheelspin in 3rd...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #21
VQ

No wonder it tends to not keep traction, power was 120kw at the flywheel, or more or less 160hp, which is above stock figures....
Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #22
VQ

So um, I've decided after another thing or two breaking that I'm going to get a 760 to stick the 24V motor in, and that this car will merely be finished, so brakes will be done as the need to be done and a thick sway bar will go on the front and something will be done for the rear, other then that really, I'm not doing anymore, there is too much wrong with it and it is my daily driver so I have no time to modify it and then use it the next day.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #23
fivealive
Board Member

Last edited by fivealive; 04-17-2017 at 10:52 AM..
fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #24
VQ

and lose 30hp? The motor is reliable, it's everything attached to it. I'm just not going to modify it as much though.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #25
VQ

This is what happens when you go past 7000rpm with a near 25 year old V6:

After taking what was left of the screw out.

I was rather angry when this happened and was going round a roundabout and heard a thud and it was making a tickticktick noise since, seems the adjustment screw on the exhaust of cyl 2 snapped just where the nut was and the nut was floating around the valves and the cam was turning the lifter but it wasn't holding anything, so I'm glad it was something simple.

Last edited by VQ; 05-08-2007 at 09:00 AM..