home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Default '84 Two fo five tarbo

The winding journey toward this wagon is a surreal one. It's in a comfy garage, and it has an accompanying Mighty List of Work that I shall valiantly tackle.

Untitled

Synthesized into the most salient points:
'84 245 GLT with the funky old M46, silver with black interior
You've probably seen it before
It's low
LH2.2 turbo is surprisingly good

Dad and I drove to Athens GA with a nice stopover in Charlotte to swap cars with Todd of schaff70 fame. Hot as hell, but it was a nice ride down, except for the squirt of bad gas that left us sweaty and sad on the side of I-85.

rural north Georgia area, home of the most beautiful junk shops I've ever seen

Traded cars, helped the mikep stick an exhaust center section back on the car, rag over compressor inlet because it was nekkid and we're scared of gravel on such a long trip back

Here's the bottom-lip outtake where I express Todd's sadness for parting ways with the wagon, and mine for parting ways with comfy Prelude seats and the venerable Mult-X rimps

Drove it back to Charlotte with no issues, other than discovering non-working brakelights (easy fix, fuse was worn down to nothing). That night Drew (our host, ex-student of Dad's, now engineer for NASCAR) took us out for Autozone, Home Depot, salad and beer in his rabid Olds 442. Thanks to his knowledge, we picked up a $9 cone filter special (Ford) and rigged up a right proper pre-turbo intake

It was late, we were tired, but duct tape makes everything better

Got it home with no major issues other than the speedometer (and odometer) totally dying. (and the exhaust center section popped out of the downpipe again, easy fix in the parking lot with dad laying under the car and me mashing on the exhaust with my feet from behind the car)

My favorite cat greeted me with this gift upon my arrival. She wouldn't look at it.

Flunt delivers!

Last edited by woodenpudden; 08-13-2015 at 12:45 PM..
woodenpudden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
kyle242gt
Subtle as a V8 544

Looks like kitty had a klingon.

I built a 5.044!
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
woodenpudden
lacks goats

The list, pasted from google docs (italicized words denote completion/not broke no mo)

(updated coming soon)

Last edited by woodenpudden; 03-31-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Old 08-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
woodenpudden
lacks goats

So the current order of business is to get the thing to quit puking smoke at idle. I'm fairly certain the turbo seals are done. No terrible biggie, I have a couple spare T3s to try. Also going to tackle the PCV system in tandem with AMM relocation, CBV routing, and pre-turbo intake fabrication with whatever I have laying around (warning: duct tape and zip ties involved). Trying to solve the current puzzle, since it runs so well (builds boost slowly though), rather than pulling the engine and putting in the freshened-up B230FT that I have in the shop. Working on this engine means the car stays at home too, quite preferable for my wife.

First thing I checked was the PCV stuff. Looks like it needs some love. I have the hoses and accoutrements to make it stock-functional, but they're all in Cambridge with the B230FT.

Part of the current puzzle, the compressor had an open hole as pictured below(different turbo below, but I pulled the plug from it to use on the current one for now). That did not fix the slow boost buildup, which ended up probably being the CBV (saab type, #103). I'll find out soon if plumbing the CBV will solve that issue.

Got under the car, noticed somewhat kinked oil return, easy fix. Squeeze it round again, huzzah

Filled the AMM hole with what I had laying around

sad wire mesh

Pre-turbo intake with Ford filter, v2.0 (duct tape ensued). That's two stock intake pipes. One's chopped and mated to the next one. I'll be using one PCV nipple for PCV, one for CBV, again because it's what I had laying around. The Ford filter's taped on right now. I might shim it up and glue it in the future. Or build a box, because there's a ton of room down there
Old 08-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
slow240
Home Schooled

ok, since you guys weren't able to stop by on your way up, ill just tell you now.

I love this car, a lot. I have countless hours of work in it, and Todd made sure that I didn't cut corners.
I really want to stress how close this car is to being incredibly nice. and with something like this, the devil's in the details.

Good luck, and Ill be watching you, do this car right......or else
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
ok, since you guys weren't able to stop by on your way up, ill just tell you now.

I love this car, a lot. I have countless hours of work in it, and Todd made sure that I didn't cut corners.
I really want to stress how close this car is to being incredibly nice. and with something like this, the devil's in the details.

Good luck, and Ill be watching you, do this car right......or else
Yea, we're definitely a couple of crusted turds for not stopping in on the way back. I'm still somewhat ashamed
There are excuses but they're worthless when BBQ beckons

And yes, I absolutely must mention that you and Todd deserve commendations for the work done. I doubt I'd have the balls to convert a K-jet car to LH2.2. It's a good, clean conversion and it runs awesome, and is quite a lot of fun to drive. Piddly details are my thang, so that's what you'll see for quite some time. And you're damn right it's close to being sweeeeeet. It's already sweet.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
towerymt
the real Towery

Upper rad hose may need to be cut shorter for Turbo-Intercooler usage.

Oil filter relocation?
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
schaff70
Board Member

Subscribed for obvious reasons.

The gas gauge works, but the seam on the float ball has failed, so it has filled with gas & sinks. There is a spare ball in the box of stuff in the trunk along with a Walbro 255.

No clue on the speedo. The mirrors used to work, not sure what happened over the years.
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
slow240
Home Schooled

As far as the electrical issues are concerned, I would just clean, tighten, and grease the fuse panel. Those fuses suck and get corroded really easily.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
As far as the electrical issues are concerned, I would just clean, tighten, and grease the fuse panel. Those fuses suck and get corroded really easily.
Most of them look good so far! The brake light fuse was the only one that was worn through at the end. I've got a pile of them in my box o relays and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaff70 View Post
Subscribed for obvious reasons.

The gas gauge works, but the seam on the float ball has failed, so it has filled with gas & sinks. There is a spare ball in the box of stuff in the trunk along with a Walbro 255.

No clue on the speedo. The mirrors used to work, not sure what happened over the years.
Cool, I was wondering if that was a float ball. The gauge did work for most of two tanks, for some reason. No biggie re:mirrors and speedometer, they shouldn't be difficult. Also, thanks again for all the parts that came with the car, they help a ton.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Upper rad hose may need to be cut shorter for Turbo-Intercooler usage.

Oil filter relocation?
Maybe. What if I like it where it is?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I look forward to fondling this one. I've been within 20 feet of it before (Todd I miss your burgers) but never did it get groped.

I feel like me sexually assaulting your cars should become a 'thing'.
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #13
woodenpudden
lacks goats

^ There's much to fondle on this one

Also, thread needs more photography. This wagon looks right purty.

In other news, I underwent minor (voluntary) surgery yesterday. Today I wired the AMM on the passenger side, cruised NAPA's stock room for a suitably convoluted 1" hose, cut said hose and plumbed the CBV with it, tested wires, added ye olde stock PCV hoses, put it back together.

Results: no smoke! Happy turbo. Happy CBV. My chariot doth accelerate with enthusiasm. Pictures soon. Will drive it to work tomorrow if I didn't over-do the post-surgery "damn I feel good, gonna climb a mountain" thing.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
^ There's much to fondle on this one

Also, thread needs more photography. This wagon looks right purty.

In other news, I underwent minor (voluntary) surgery yesterday. Today I wired the AMM on the passenger side, cruised NAPA's stock room for a suitably convoluted 1" hose, cut said hose and plumbed the CBV with it, tested wires, added ye olde stock PCV hoses, put it back together.

Results: no smoke! Happy turbo. Happy CBV. My chariot doth accelerate with enthusiasm. Pictures soon. Will drive it to work tomorrow if I didn't over-do the post-surgery "damn I feel good, gonna climb a mountain" thing.

Says the photographer!? You held out for a nice wagon, after a long search! Good luck with it, we'll have to meet up some time so I can check it out!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Says the photographer!? You held out for a nice wagon, after a long search! Good luck with it, we'll have to meet up some time so I can check it out!
Sounds good to me. Silver Eastern Shore wagon photo shoot by the Clayton sometime?

Drove the car to work today. My ghetto CBV return tube popped off. Need to work on that - might relocate the valve.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #16
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Back on Virginia turf (with MD street rod tags). Might have to go diggin' for a "turbo" badge for the grille and a new Volvo emblem. Round headlights are my favorite.

Untitled
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Is that a diesel badge?
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
slow240
Home Schooled

You need to come down to visit. I miss this car, plus it's a good excuse to sit around a drink beer and talk shop
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #19
UhAudoe
Sittin' sideways

I need a round headlight setup for my car so bad. Looks sick!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
schaff70
Board Member

I want my wagon back.
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #21
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Silver Eastern Shore wagon photo shoot by the Clayton sometime?

Drove the car to work today. My ghetto CBV return tube popped off. Need to work on that - might relocate the valve.
Sounds good to me! I need to get mine out of the garage and clean the dust off it!
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
You need to come down to visit. I miss this car, plus it's a good excuse to sit around a drink beer and talk shop
I'm down. When I get back from Norway I should have some time to stick it on the alignment rack and also get the exhaust finagled a little more firmly in place before a trip past the Great Machipongo Clam Shack, over the bay, and into your territory. Might do motor mounts, too, before any more significant mileage is accrued.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #23
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Might have to go diggin' for a "turbo" badge for the grille and a new Volvo emblem.
Dave Barton sells stickers that you plop over the top of the old slash emblem. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.davebarton.com/VolvoStickers.html
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #24
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Default Speedometer ponderings

Something I want to tackle sooner rather than later is the speedo. Tempted to try to fix the cable stuff because it's mechanical and mechanical is cool.

BUT
there's an '86 that's essentially a parts car that I could pull the diff cover, tone ring, wiring, etc. from. I also have a couple spare electronic speedometers. This would also mean the eventual TrueTrac would have to have a tone ring added.

I've never poked at the cable speedo setup before, going to start at the cluster and work my way back. Is that stuff available anymore? (plastic gears, yadda)
Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #25
Old Iron
I Roll

How many miles on this car again? If I end up parting out this turbo wagon, would you be interested in it? I know the odometer worked by proof of DMV records!
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote