• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LONG Drive Feedback would be appreciated

mr_beverage

LONG Drive

Hey everyone

In Novemeber i plan to take my volvo on a trip from sydney to brisbane but im not sure if it will handle the drive there and return trip,
while i have alot of confidence in my car i still have my doubts

could i ask for for anyone who frequents on long journeys or has had problems on long journeys to give me some feed back on what needs to be checked, replaced, watched , or otherwise serviced other than tires which will be replaced, so that my journey can be event free car wise

any other info u know that would make the journey more comfortable would be helpful aswell

my car is a 1984 760 turbo

It's only roughly 640 mi one way, right? That's only half an oil change! :D

Other than tires, just routine maintenance stuff should keep you going as long as your car is in good shape. Timing, plugs, coolant topped off, fresh oil change, etc.

Volvos are pretty decent for that. My girlfriend and I have taken her 940 from Worcester, MA to Coxsackie, NY (140 miles) and then to Greene, NY (170 miles) in one day and it was fine. Watch the heat if you're driving over 80 for an extended period though... (Although that could just be the 940's finicky fan.)

Also did Worcester, MA to Boston, MA to Otisfield, ME (190 mi) in one night, then Otisfield to Franconia and back the next (190 more mi for a 9 mi hike :)), then Otisfield to Boston to Worcester to Coxsackie the next morning (250 mi to get to work). Whew!

No issues on long drives. Just keep a quart or two of oil, some 50/50 water/antifreeze, and some transmission fluid around and you should be fine.

Mr Beverage, I take frequent trips in my 245, often more than 4000 miles in a two week period. I really enjoy it, and helps me see the wide open countryside.
Here's a thread that I started when I took my last trip in May/June. It details my preparation strategy and enjoyment of the open road. I often take several weeks preparation time to go over each system's function with maintenance and overhaul.

Enjoy you trip!

http://www.clubvolvo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2263

Back