• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Turbo Airbox with LH?

Wren

Porkchop Sandwiches
I've seen a few threads over the years where a 240 turbo airbox/cobra had been converted for use with LH fuel injection, but I can't seem to find any of them now.

I would like to see some conversions and a list of what parts were needed in addition to the airbox and AMM.

I've got an airbox/cobra and the aluminum elbow that goes between the cobra and the turbo intake connector at the turbo.

Thanks!

Like mine?

This is on LH 2.4. Cut the cobra to fit the stock AMM and remove some of the aluminum tube from inside. I then cut down one of the ribs to fit a clamp. The fuel distributor was removed, and a cap made for the top. The shaft holes were sealed with a couple of O-rings. An extension harness wires the AMM into a stock 240 LH 2.4 harness. There was some custom piping needed (IIRC, the joiner from the turbo the IC was too short - had a rad shop roll me one).

I am pretty sure that i have read about a similar conversion at some point, where a car with a similar mod was dyno'd, and the difference with the cobra or without it was 15hp. Without the cobra the setup was completed with THIS and a cold air mod. Also make sure you get a free flow K&N oval filter ..

I am not sure though how the "improved" setup compares with a plain cone filter. Of course the cone filter will not be able to suck any cold air so this is a disadvantage.

Canuck pretty much explained it, but here's mine. I only did this to trick the smog guy into thinking the car was "stock"

Just be sure to run the metal support for the rubber boot/cobra on top of the airbox otherwise it will be very collapse-y

Takes some melting, sectioning, rework to fit.

JohnMC did it as well.

LOTS of rework necessary to get it to fit well. If it's done correctly it will look stock, but the lower half of the box is just way too large & the wrong shape to fit in the 240 inner fender without major hackage.

Someone on here probably has one laying around :e-shrug: not hard to ask

Also, 80's Chrysler 2.2 Turbo's had a small little airbox that would work with smog, I remember that's what Crandandall used on his 245

Canuck pretty much explained it, but here's mine. I only did this to trick the smog guy into thinking the car was "stock"

Just be sure to run the metal support for the rubber boot/cobra on top of the airbox otherwise it will be very collapse-y

Really diggin' your grille zip-ties and bungee chord battery hold down:oogle:

LOTS of rework necessary to get it to fit well. If it's done correctly it will look stock, but the lower half of the box is just way too large & the wrong shape to fit in the 240 inner fender without major hackage.

Did you get yours to fit?

I'm close.. but picked up a Kjet turbo setup...

240 diesel airbox goes on that side too, but I have not yet installed one on my +T car. Some day...

surely you jest!

Will agree.. looks stock, but it is a loooong way from an easy drop in.

Well it looks easy to fit the air box once you get rid of the washer bottle. Mind you, I have not fitted one and changing the MAf to the right are both other issues. I still have not done the +T on any off my cars! Have not even touched the red wagon since I posted last. LOL. Got under my 87 to change the oil a few minutes ago and the NA down pipe has a hole and manifold not leaking but noticed a stud broken in the head. I will check to see if it's as easy to mount the air box as I think Friday since I have one out of something. 95 940 box has foam in it from the factory the one I want.

The 740 turbo airbox does not really work with my NPR intercooler.
I stuck the lid in sideways with a homemade box.

Installed_open.jpg

Plumbed_in.jpg

It looks fairly stock, and has a nice big element.

The 7/9 series airbox doesn't fit for crap. By the time you work over either the box or the fender enough to make it fit and look even halfway decent, you could have found/built a much better solution. There's a reason the same picture pops up everytime someone asks for evidence of the 7/9 box in a 240 :lol:

Back