• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V6 swap?

olddaddy

So, it is Saturday night, nothing much going on......I know there is an engine swap thread, but wondered if there are any good V6 swaps for a 240? I am happy enough with my current setup, but at 300K miles there might be a rebuild or replacement in the future. So, are there any V6 transplants worth considering?

Well, V6 is smaller and lighter than a V8 and modern V6 produces similar hp....so why not a V6?
I am just looking for options. There might be a great inline 4 cylinder out there, or just a good overhaul of the current 4cyl........

I think you should go all out and put a v4 in there.
But no seriously, why go through the trouble of making a v6 work when you could just do a v8 swap? Then using a toggle switch between the injectors, turn off 2 injectors for better fuel economy :)

Don't you love it how everyone knows better what you should do with your own damn car and does not answer the original question?

Myself, I was thinking a V12 from a XKE...........:-P

I am with you 100%, a modern V6 would be more in character and could be just as fast with lower weight.

One I drive every day that I love is the Ford 3.7 Liter that comes in Mustangs, F150, and Explorers including all the cop versions. Light weight, fairly compact because of the 60 degree V, and likes to rev, great fuel economy.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/

If 305 hp is not enough, ad one of these.

https://www.procharger.com/automotive-superchargers/ford/mustang-v6/2014-11-mustang-v6-37

Larry

Last edited:
Don't you love it how everyone knows better what you should do with your own damn car and does not answer the original question?

Don't be silly. Anyone going through the task of an engine swap should be asking themselves the serious question of why go through all the hassle/work/tears of a swap when it doesn't take any more work to put in a v8. I don't care if we're talking about a v6/v8 from 1950 or 2015.

If he knew what he wanted to do with his own damn car he never would have asked the question. And it's not exactly like he provided any other valuable information (budget/ability) as to help make his decision for him other than, ' hey, I'm bored, entertain me about something I'll never do'.

I think the v6 would provide better turbo clearance for anyone going that route. In the end, for anyone considering an american v6/v8 engine swap, why limit yourself?

OP, search for a recently bumped thread on GM 3.8L, right here. Several folks have some nice builds going with that power. My Dad bought a 2001 Camaro with that late version of the 3.8L, and when I drove it it sure felt like a V8. Just look at what the Buick guys have done with the Grand National powertrain.

Perhaps a V6 FAQ thread.....with links.

Technically, you can factory swap it to a Volvo V6.

Good news:
They basically fixed every major problem the early B27/B280 engines ever had in late '87 built cars with the B280 engine.
It bolts right in there, it is a factory part after all.
200hp N/A with some mild reworking and a wonderful sound is possible without huge expense.
It likes boost.
It's shorter and lighter than the 4cylinder with a forged crank that basically lasts forever, with a timing chain and guides that last a really long time.
A good B280 will live every bit as long or longer than a redblock if maintained at all decently.

Bad news:
You essentially have only 1988-1990 (before they killed it off) 760/780 for an engine donor, and various 76-82 260 for everything else for a donor, most of which have not necessarily lived an easy life, never were terribly common cars, and have basically all long since hit the scrap.
Parts, as you can imagine, can sometimes be costly/difficult to find, though because the DeLorean guys have cars that are being re-made that are appreciating in value, at least there is *some* support too, but also raises prices on some of the stuff that is difficult to get new; double edged sword.
Manual transmission parts can be difficult to find, if you actually turn up the power any, don't expect the original M46 manual to last all that long.
The exhaust manifolds flow very poorly on the Volvo.
The USA B280F cylinder heads are not so great for flow either.
Less than optimal static compression ratio on USA B280 cars for N/A cars with more power in mind.

Neutral? news:
200 series cars only came with the 3 speed auto, though 700s had the 4-speed AW-71, would take some relatively minor work to fit it in a 200 series chassis and generally holds some power at all.
"B280E" heads/cams do nice things for power. Or eagle premier, but I think you need to use the B27/B28 timing cover with those to use the volvo accessories on a B280 lower case. The Volvo lower case and mechanical rocker arms you want.
Eagle premier/Dodge Monaco exhaust manifolds are way better than the "Volvo" ones, headers would probably be better yet.

Last edited:
John Lane's old car is a prime example of what you can do with a Volvo (prv) v6 engine. GM v6 would be your next best bet, like a LY6 v6 or something. But at 256hp, and the headache, you could just +t. V8 has been done many times over in all flavors.

I'm surprised that none of you have suggested the usual!
Volvo produced an iron block 2.3 liter turbo-4 which will easily make enough power to satisfy; though with a four cylinder sound-track.

I have a stroked PRV six with all accessories that is a sweetheart of a runner ready for OP's sick fantasies should he wish for it. 3.2 liters with forged Pistons, H-beam rods, 79.3mm stroke. Nice torque and internals that will happily live with boost.... Needs programmable management to complete. I ran this engine with the AW-71 box behind it. Loved it. The feller who purchased the yellow car it was in wanted to go a different direction so here it is.

OP fire off a P/M if interested.

A straight six engine has better balance than a V6. And plenty of 24 valve engines to choose from, whether it be Volvo or an exotic.

I actually was looking at the 12valve V6 in my 164 and wondering how hard it would be to swap. The engine looks good, sounds good, but FWD sucks. You'd need a five speed from a Milano or GTV6, neither of which are overly common, along with the distributor from one of them. But that's a 185hp engine in stock tune, with MS and headers it could be a bit more. People have also turboed them.

Many ways to fuel this sickness....

Don't know what is available for a bell housing and clutch for one but the V-6 from the 2008 and newer Sienna van is one that makes that can go much faster than one has any business going and utterly reliable. It is a 60 degree motor with four valve heads... VVTi and the rest of Toyota's games they play with them. Ya just know that it would be frightful turbocharged.

As was posted above.... The V-6 in the semi current Mustang goes like bent-eights used to in the bad old days.

But.... An LS thing.... :omg: One of 'em from a later Vette...

The nice thing about the Mustang motor besides being fairly common is that they are already in a North/South orientation and there is a fairly large aftermarket, and available with a 6 speed.

Actually, the 6 speed auto that is in my truck is not terrible if one was so disposed.

By your reasoning I would just do the V8 because they probably aren't as heavy as you think. Plus, the support for V8 swaps is excellent.

I'm planning on running a 3800 simply because I love those engines. I started doing the LS swap when I realized that I hate building the most common hod rod engine there is. Growing up a Buick guy, a 3.8 made sense despite having 2 less cylinders, 1 less liter, and probably more weight considering it's all cast iron. It's a love thing! Build what YOU love!

Just to answer your question, I suppose the PRV would be your best option. It's factory, and you can do very surprising things with them if you know what your doing. My understanding is that they are not as supported as the redblocks though, and I think you will need to run an aftermarket EMS. I have very little knowledge with them though. Talk to John Lane!

3.8GM is light, puts the #1 plug farther back than a 4 or v8. Better turn-in. Better weight balance than with a V8.
I like the Buick 3.8/4.1 (very good breathing heads), and love the 4.3 as well.

Back