• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aw-70/71

90volvo

What?s the difference between 70 and 71 trans. I know the 71 is heavier duty but what?s the mechanical difference? Does it have more or bigger clutches? Can you mod a 70 into a 71 or better? Anybody make a shift kit or an upgrade rebuild kit? I plan to do a m47 to a auto swap. I have couple aw70 on hand. I?ve done a +T and plan to sneak up on 300 hp. Thanks

The accumulator mod is the only modification I can think of off the top of my head.

The aforementioned accumulator mod will make an AW70 a bit stronger in the face of high torque but still not up to an engine around 300hp.

If you do the accumulator mod with the transmission in the car, be ready for a bath in fluid and for some difficulty with the kickdown cable.

Last edited:
Is this the same m47 I sold you? I remember you blowing up a couple, but like you said that was the tightest quietest m47 I'd ever driven:lol:

AW71

Is this the same m47 I sold you? I remember you blowing up a couple, but like you said that was the tightest quietest m47 I'd ever driven:lol:

Yelp same M47. Know it will go south one day but is holding up well at this point. I want to have a trans ready to go in when it goes. I have an AW70 laying here but I will go find an AW71. If I stay standard I would need probably a T5 swap which is costly. So I think an AW71 would be better. Im running 15 lbs at the moment but plan to get over 20lbs. Will be a while before I get up to 300hp but its my goal. Thanks for advise. AW71 it is then.

Hey you wanna buy the M47 back before I blow it? Would be everything for a complete swap. Ive baby it around know its good at this point.

Yelp same M47. Know it will go south one day but is holding up well at this point. I want to have a trans ready to go in when it goes. I have an AW70 laying here but I will go find an AW71. If I stay standard I would need probably a T5 swap which is costly. So I think an AW71 would be better. Im running 15 lbs at the moment but plan to get over 20lbs. Will be a while before I get up to 300hp but its my goal. Thanks for advise. AW71 it is then.

Hey you wanna buy the M47 back before I blow it? Would be everything for a complete swap. Ive baby it around know its good at this point.

Dang I am interested but probably not at the moment. Saving what I can save for a house payment and somehow haven?t launched an m47 in either of my 240s yet. (Knock on wood)

Dang I am interested but probably not at the moment. Saving what I can save for a house payment and somehow haven?t launched an m47 in either of my 240s yet. (Knock on wood)

Find a decent aw71 and Ill swap you. This is a good m47 Ive kept good lube in it. No leaks. Just know when I start running 20plus its not gonna take it. Ive been babying it, no burnouts.

Find a decent aw71 and Ill swap you. This is a good m47 Ive kept good lube in it. No leaks. Just know when I start running 20plus its not gonna take it. Ive been babying it, no burnouts.

It?ll handle burnouts depending on your rear tire, but it likely won?t hold 20+ psi especially in third:lol:

I have an aw71 but it?s high mileage so that wouldn?t work. I?ll keep an eye out at the yards though

Ill take a high milage one, Im gonna rebuild it anyways. Not sure if Ill do it myself or have it done. Curious if there is shift kit and or better clutches for it?

Ill take a high milage one, Im gonna rebuild it anyways. Not sure if Ill do it myself or have it done. Curious if there is shift kit and or better clutches for it?

All I know is about the accumulator mod.

You don?t wanna buy a 745+T would ya?:lol: it?ll come with the aw71 attached

Probably not. But how much? I already have a 240 parts car then I picked up a 940T. I could get trans out of the 940 but it’s a decent car. I got it for cheap so it might be my best option for tranny.

Probably not. But how much? I already have a 240 parts car then I picked up a 940T. I could get trans out of the 940 but it?s a decent car. I got it for cheap so it might be my best option for tranny.

Oh that makes more sense anyway. Well, if the 940t is running and driving and will maybe pass inspection, I wouldn?t pull the trans from it. You could just make the 940T faster!

Im gonna rebuild the AW71 that Im pulling from 940T. But dont want to put old convertor back in it. What has everybody been using? Rebiilt one or is there a better option.????????

Back