• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cam gear shim

73amc

I pulled the cam gear off this 93 b230ft I have to freshen it all up before I put it in. I noticed there wasnt a shim behind the cam gear like there was on the 88 motor I pulled out. Do some use the shim and some dont? I have the shim off my 88, just wondering if it needs to be there or this was designed without one.

Thanks.

It's only used on some engines. Check the alignment of the belt on the cam gear and use the shim if the belt isn't centered.

It's only used on some engines. Check the alignment of the belt on the cam gear and use the shim if the belt isn't centered.

Is this only dependent upon year? I have seen timing belts ride in different locations on the cam gear before and was wondering whuy. (Crank washers installed properly).

It looks that way. All B230 engines in the '85-'87 240 catalog use the shim while only certain engine #'s in the '88- catalog use it.

Back