home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #626
TestPoint
Board Member

Default I haven't abandoned the Bertone . . . .

Yeah, it's been a month . . . .

Spring has almost arrived and it is time to get back into the garage. The center console was painted a long time ago with the vinyl leather paint and while it matched the seats perfectly it wasn't correct and should have been the dash/kick panel color. The vinyl paint also was not firmly attached to the vinyl covered console. That required complete stripping. Other pieces needed the tan paint job also; the replacement speaker grill and ashtray that both came in black and the shift console that was a little beat up.

One of the mysteries of life is that the console had been painted before and was was black when stripped of all paint. Tan over-spray was on the wiring harness under it also. No idea what went on there.

With my experience of the leather vinyl paint not sticking to the console my friends at the local auto paint store recommended an adhesion product for vinyl. Worked good so far.

With the left over color matched paint that was used to paint the dash cover and my new miniature spray gun I got it all painted one color.

Hard to believe the difference in captured color from bright sunshine to camera flash.

All back in and wired up.

Maybe the seats back in tomorrow . . . another pretty day forecast for the mountains. I think this will be the fourth time the seats will have been installed.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460

Last edited by TestPoint; 03-25-2019 at 11:23 PM..
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #627
M.H. Yount
Board Member

GoTom, go!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #628
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Looks like new!
242, https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344891
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #629
nel621
Board Member

Not sure why you had tan paint on the wires. But I have noticed when the paint comes off of these center consoles it is always black underneath. Perhaps just sprayed by Volvo instead of making new ones for the tan interior cars? Perhaps your was installed while still wet? Looks good!
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #630
nel621
Board Member

What did you use to strip the paint?
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #631
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Did Bertone do the bodies and then ship them back to Volvo for assembly?
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #632
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Did Bertone do the bodies and then ship them back to Volvo for assembly?
No, "Made in Italy"
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #633
TestPoint
Board Member

Volvo built the chassis/drivetrain in Sweden and shipped it to Italy for the different top and finish.

Rubbing alcohol (91%).

There was tan overspray on the wiring harness. Someone, in the car's dark and sordid past, had refinished the console in place.

Last edited by TestPoint; 03-19-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #634
M.H. Yount
Board Member

So the interiors were done in Italy by Bertone?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #635
TestPoint
Board Member

Yup! Down to the calf leather sun visors and pigskin headliner.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #636
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Spose they could've done some interior trim painting with the harness in place?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #637
TestPoint
Board Member

Default Fourth seat installation

With the new center console painted and installed I put the front seats back in for the fourth time.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #638
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Looks loverly Tom.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #639
TestPoint
Board Member

Default BW55 replacement with an AW70

Mentioned earlier is a fond wish to have the AW70 overdrive transmission in the Bertone. That now may come true.

The 'free' AW70 that xxxxx gave me has become a little more expensive. That transmission was out of a 760 that had been run until the engine seized. Not a good recommendation for the transmission.

Further exploration indicated that the PRV engine required an unique bell housing to mate up with the AW70. 77volvo245 found one cleaning out his shop and mailed it to me via USPS. Couple layers of shipping wrap and some tape with some stamps on it.

. . . and then I knew that a tail shaft housing with the cable speedometer connection would be required rather than screwing around with some custom speedometer conversion from digital to analog. Unfortunately, the AW70 with the cable connection was only used for a couple years before converting to the AW71 and 71L. WREN was parting out just such an unique 240 and I purchased that. The State of Georgia is going to make another attempt to train me in May and I get to pick it up passing through Athens.

So now I will have a PRV bell housing and an AW70 that will, at a minimum require freshening up with gaskets and seals plus a high mileage core that no one will want. I talked to Bill at Voluparts and he said he had a lifetime supply of AW70 transmissions and they no longer had any value even as a core.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #640
M.H. Yount
Board Member

What transmission is in your car now Tom? How does it differ from the AW70?

"....screwing around with some custom speedometer conversion from digital to analog." I did that....and I'm so glad I did. Works great and I won't have to chase it anymore as things change. In that spirit - do you know if the driven gear in the AW70 tail housing has the right gear to be compatible with your cable drive gear AND make the speedo reasonably accurate?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #641
TestPoint
Board Member

The '81 Bertone came with the 3 speed BW55 transmission that puts 60mph at about 2,800 rpm. The AW70 that was introduced the next year has a fourth speed 0.67 overdrive. The 140 hp V6 PRV is quite adequate to handle the overdrive as it was also used with 120 hp 4 cylinders.

The BW55 has got to be removed anyway for seals and gaskets due to age not miles. ATF just leaks out of the front of the transmission when full.

I think I have the speedometer handled for the moment. It should be close enough or at least I will know the correction factor.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #642
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Brad’s (Duratec Midget) XK-E has the Borg Warner 3 speed in it. His front seal leaks, but only when running.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #643
TestPoint
Board Member

Mine leaks anytime the level of the ATF is above the pump 'O' rings, never mind the shaft seal. It is 38 years old with 25k miles.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #644
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Yup - his is 51 yrs old with 39k miles.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #645
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
GoTom, go!
Speaking of that.... I swear I'm riding up to Elijay this spring to see this exquisite machine in all it's glory. I finally drove my 92 Sedan to work today, having just come back from 2 months of paint (mostly waiting on them). Honestly, I'm ashamed to drive it up to Tom's.... I'll just feel inadequate.

Comin' your way soon, I hope.

Duane

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #646
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Pics of yours Duane! How’s it running?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #647
TestPoint
Board Member

Default Oh . . . Nooooooooooooo, Mr. Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Speaking of that.... I swear I'm riding up to Elijay this spring to see this exquisite machine in all it's glory.

Comin' your way soon, I hope.

Duane
Come on up! Road trip to the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant. https://riversedgerestaurants.com/to...de-restaurant/

Upon receipt and installation of the shift stalk button this afternoon the last of my cosmetic excuses to get this thing running disappeared.

Battery was fully charged and connected without smoke and the engine was rotated.

. . . and rotated. No cigar.

At this point, I ran out of gas, me personally as this was a late in the day effort after the other things in my life.

Hooked up the TurboBricks Brand Fuel Pressure Test Equipment and verified that I had no fuel pressure and went to the house for some olives for nourishment.

Violation of my religious beliefs scheduled tomorrow morning. Giving up on getting the wife's '93 Miata's air conditioning working and PAYING a local shop to convert to R134. I have R134a equipment and have maintained and rebuilt such ; AC vacuum pump and hose/gauge equipment but never done the conversion. The oil flush is the big issue.

Last edited by TestPoint; 03-27-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #648
TestPoint
Board Member

Default Snake bit . . . .

No excuses for not getting this thing running but . . . .

Runs on starter fluid, not on gas through the fuel system. This thing ran to and from the paint shop before climbing on the HF jack stands for aging.

Hooked up the $20 TurboBricks brand k-jet fuel pressure test rig and only get about 20 psi when jumping the fuel relay. The pump is obviously running and there is a half tank of new gas in the tank.

I cannot think of anything other than the pump that could cause that. Pressure for several minutes should bypass any small blockages eventually. Maybe if the fuel distributor pressure regulator is stuck and dumping gas back to the tank. That isn't a common or even an ever problem through my long experience with these things.

Yes, I know that there is a difference between 40 years experience and 1 year's experience 40 times.

I know I replaced that pump just to make sure that the ENTIRE fuel system was clean/new after all the very bad gas issues. Old pump in the bad parts box. Went through an inch of receipts looking for that purchase without success. Love those lifetime warranties. One more time before bed.

Pumps are $30 to $200 and not too difficult to replace. Hope I can find that receipt.

On the Miata AC I haven't found a tech that knew more than me so I am back to doing it myself. Seems that the R12 conversion era has passed. The system held a vacuum for more that a week but demonstrated that conversion from $30 R12 to $5 R134 is going to happen. Parts and sniffer on order.

Speaking of snakes . . . killed the first Copperhead already. It has been a warm late Winter.

Last edited by TestPoint; 04-10-2019 at 08:27 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #649
JohnLane
Board Member

Tom changing oil with a 134A conversion is snake oil.

Put the adaptors on... Add a little oil. Charge it up.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #650
TestPoint
Board Member

Thanks John.

That is what I have come to understand. Waiting on a sniffer to arrive in order to chase the leak with $5 a can gas rather than $30 each.

Last edited by TestPoint; 05-25-2019 at 03:14 PM..