home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
Turborg
Board Member
 
Turborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northern Ca
Default Lightweight B2015 Braille AGM battery review

I needed a battery for my 72 142 so I decided to give this battery a try. It is 6" wide, 6" tall. 3" wide and weighs on 15lbs. . It can be mounted any way you wish and comes with set up for top or side post. It has 425 cold cranking amps.
I haven't had it for a long time but it cranks better than the 45lb+ battery it replaced. And it has cranked for a long time a couple times when I flooded my motor or some other no start condition. It looks so tiny setting in the battery box but its going in the trunk before long. The battery is half the size of a Optima and half the price. I am very happy with it so far.
Turborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member
 
LeedomtoFreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chicago
Default

Interesting. I'm looking for a smaller battery as well, keep us posted on how it continues.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by freevolvos View Post
chickens like yogurt but I hate it, yet I like eggs, should I turbo or n.a.a chicken? Do chickens spool? Thanks
81 264 - Driveway ornament
90 245 - becoming 16v
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Good info Harry! Long time no see BTW, hope you're doing well.

Figures, I just did a battery in the wagon. Group 34 marine AGM from East Penn, same specs as the normal 34 but $50 less, made by the same company, same place, but 1 year instead of 3 year. Whatever...
__________________
RIP
Doug Williams "Mr. Doug" 4/15/2009
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18


74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Turborg
Board Member
 
Turborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northern Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Good info Harry! Long time no see BTW, hope you're doing well.

Figures, I just did a battery in the wagon. Group 34 marine AGM from East Penn, same specs as the normal 34 but $50 less, made by the same company, same place, but 1 year instead of 3 year. Whatever...
Hey Gary
Just like an old Volvo I keep coming back. After getting screwed over on my stroker motor by a machinist I trusted, I have put together a 2130 motor that runs great except for steel timing gear noise. Of course I am looking for a B 20 block to assemble my stroker motor once again. I am getting my 142 together to challenge your dominance at the shows. After battling health issues and car issues I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Turborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
2 old for this
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Amarillo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborg View Post
I needed a battery for my 72 142 so I decided to give this battery a try. It is 6" wide, 6" tall. 3" wide and weighs on 15lbs. . It can be mounted any way you wish and comes with set up for top or side post. It has 425 cold cranking amps.
I haven't had it for a long time but it cranks better than the 45lb+ battery it replaced. And it has cranked for a long time a couple times when I flooded my motor or some other no start condition. It looks so tiny setting in the battery box but its going in the trunk before long. The battery is half the size of a Optima and half the price. I am very happy with it so far.
Where was it purchased?
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Hey, bring it! Took 2nd in 2018, with Tyler taking it. This year, minimal changes, next couple years will be the underhood refurb and B20F+T mod. lol
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

I used that same battery on my 245. Worked great!!! Street driven in the winter was no problem
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

I've been using an even smaller one in my 245 for a long while now: https://www.braillebattery.com/index...tteries/b14115

The only issue I ever had with it was when it went flat over one of my longer (6 month?) engine rebuilds, it didn't ever come back from that very well, I had to replace it. Certainly cranked the car over well enough in regular weather. I always parked it in the winter to keep it out of the salt, so no cold weather cranking.

I use a similar Odyssey battery in my old Volvo: https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680
I guess in size/weight it's a little close to the first Braille listed in the top post. Same thing there, no real issues with it to speak of. It just works like a normal battery. These are jsut a fair amount cheaper.
__________________
'63 PV Rat Rod
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I've been using an even smaller one in my 245 for a long while now: https://www.braillebattery.com/index...tteries/b14115

The only issue I ever had with it was when it went flat over one of my longer (6 month?) engine rebuilds, it didn't ever come back from that very well, I had to replace it. Certainly cranked the car over well enough in regular weather. I always parked it in the winter to keep it out of the salt, so no cold weather cranking.

I use a similar Odyssey battery in my old Volvo: https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc680
I guess in size/weight it's a little close to the first Braille listed in the top post. Same thing there, no real issues with it to speak of. It just works like a normal battery. These are jsut a fair amount cheaper.
I think this was the actual one that i used.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
towerymt
the real Towery
 
towerymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, USA
Default

I used the ~11lb braille, no real issues with it, but you need a reliable starting car. If you have some issue that needs troubleshooting and a lot of cranking while on the side of the road...you might run out of tries.




about 22lb heavier...


I also used a PC680 briefly, only rated about 220CCA I believe. Worked in the summer. I got it free, 2-3yr old, and it did fine for my needs but I think I swapped a big battery back in for winter. Autocross weight savings was the goal.

I would look at East Penn / Deka branded batteries before buying another Braille for the premium price.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
soclosenotnear
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: summerville, south carolina
Default

I've had an Odyssey pc680 for maybe 8 months and it's been great. Cranked my car up two days ago after 3-4 months of sitting, although it was tired. I need to start driving it every day again to see how it does through the winter.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

I've been using the same Odyssey PC680 for a few years now. I used to take it indoors in the winter but don't bother anymore. I throw a tender on it once it goes into winter storage. Performing flawlessly, I've started the car in temps down to 5*F with no problem. I think I paid like $105 for it so even when it fails it's short money.

It's a pretty significant weight and cost savings over running a battery to the trunk.

edit: I'll echo Towery's comment that there's not a ton of reserve, so if you get into a situation where you need to crank away on the thing you gotta make the most of your attempts.
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup

Last edited by Stiggy Pop; 01-08-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
satanburns1
Satanburns2
 
satanburns1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BRICK NJ
Default

$30 Walmart tractor battery in the trunk of my scca car. Lasted untill dude rear ended me. I drove it almost daily for 6 mo during the summer so I can't attest to cold starting. Was 300 CCA tho. I hear they don't last long but reviews say otherwise... Maybe a batt tender during storage would help it along. For the price I will get another when the car goes on a diet. Car was a 76 242 with a reliable LH 2.4 swap. Minimal was cranking required. But I did drive it home on the starter when by t belt broke at the end of my street...
satanburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.