• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

N/A Application: T Cam vs. B Cam

John V is on the right track, I've tried M,B,T, and K cams in my B23. I'd rate them like this 1)K, 2)B, 3)M 4)T. The T cam in a N/A application makes for the laziest feeling power curve ever, and it runs out of steam before you can blink. The M cam is lazy too, but pulls steady to 6K RPM. The B is a nice bump over the M, very streetable/DD'able, but has significant pull power over the M. The K is by far the winner in my book, as long as you are driving hard, keeping the revs up it pulls easily as hard as a stock turbo engine. I've been aching to try a D cam, as it comes highly recommended for a high CR N/A engine.

I would guess it's a personal DD with no chances of being modded. Just wants a little more umph.

Well then that's a bizarre question for a PERFORMANCE sub-forum...

my daily drivers have always had some simple easy mods...mill the head 1.1 or 1.3mm
, add some regind cam, and manual trans, and a LSD.. mybe 2' exhaust for little motors, 2.5 for bigger ones..

But Volvo's slush-o-tragic?

Why bother anything..

And again the cams are all emissions cams, why not up the static compression? Few mods are easier and many of those cams would wake da fuq upp with 10.5 or a bit more...

More comp always equals more fun.

The t cam would be better than the m in any NA application. I have no experience but it's common sense. Read the graphs, the 2 cams are actually very similar.

The t cam would be better than the m in any NA application. I have no experience but it's common sense. Read the graphs, the 2 cams are actually very similar.

It's not an upgrade IMO, it doesn't help beyond 3k rpm over an M cam. T should stand for "Towing".

Last edited:
It's not an upgrade IMO, it doesn't help beyond 3k r over an M cam. T should stand for "Towing".

Daily drivers usually don't go above the 3k mark anyways:e-shrug:

I'd think having more usable power in the lower rev range in a dd would be ideal. Still, having an auto is kind of useless IMO.

Daily drivers usually don't go above the 3k mark anyways:e-shrug:

I'd think having more usable power in the lower rev range in a dd would be ideal. Still, having an auto is kind of useless IMO.

It's a gasoline engine, and a 4cyl, it needs rpm to perform at all. Who in the hell wants idle to 3k rpm use?! Like a 2100rpm window? ....stupid.

It's a gasoline engine, and a 4cyl, it needs rpm to perform at all. Who in the hell wants idle to 3k rpm use?! Like a 2100rpm window? ....stupid.

Have you ever driven a car? Unless one is driving spiritedly, I have no issue keeping the car at or under 3,000 rpm. In fifth gear, 3,000rpm puts me at 80mph so there's really no NEED to to go over it. That's not to say you shouldn't, though. With the m cam there's no use at all going past ~4,200 rpm, even with a turbo.

Have you ever driven a car? Unless one is driving spiritedly, I have no issue keeping the car at or under 3,000 rpm. In fifth gear, 3,000rpm puts me at 80mph so there's really no NEED to to go over it. That's not to say you shouldn't, though. With the m cam there's no use at all going past ~4,200 rpm, even with a turbo.

Stop posting and start reading. The thread is about comparing an M cam performance/driveability to a T cam as an upgrade. (as I read it) BTW, I dyno'd my car with the M cam to get a baseline. It made peak power at 5400rpm(120.8whp) and peak torque (117ft/lbs) at 3900ish rpm, torque was 100+ft/lbs from 3k-5500 rpm.

After swapping to a T cam the car had trouble pushing past the 85mph mark on the speedo, the M cam allowed for pulls to 5k+ rpm(100mph+) in 4th gear, no problem. Now, both B and K cams allow for serious pull power or burnouts to the spark cut.

It has been a while but what I noticed from swapping in a T was a motor a bit more "revvy" than with the M, is all.

Hmmm, It may be a bit more snappy. It's hard for me to tell that because I have a -10lbs flywheel, they all feel snappy to me. Under load though, the M definitely makes broader power, which isn't saying much because it's a wimpy cam. The B cam to me feels like the best all-around performer. There's not much sacrifice in low end torque, and it easily revs to the limiter.

I've done all them cams in na B230s with autos and manuals and neither one is a very good upgrade over the M

The B with an auto has so little power and torque at low RPMs the car feels super slow and heavy off the line... the B does wind out more but it's a wimpy low torque kinda wind out... You need to keep the RPMs high all the time for enough power for regular driving and I got noticeably worse gas mileage with a B, like 30 miles a tank less.

Get an A or better yet a V

I have used both cams. I like the T cam over the B in an automatic for DD use. Great low end torque and it pulls to 4500 lol. I still run a T cam until I put the D cam in.

Back