• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242 Windshield rubber molding

humbo

I have a 1979 242 with rubber molding around the front windshield. There is a chrome strip that is attached to the rubber molding. Nothing wrong with the chrome strip but the rubber molding has shrunk over the years and I need to buy a new one. There seem to be some clips that hold things together as well. Hope someone can direct me to a previous thread that might show some pics. I've been told the the Volvo part number for the rubber molding is 1254562 but when I look at that is says it's for a 1980 and 81.
Thanks
Jim

As far as I know the rubber lip on the windshield trim didn't change between 79 to 81. So the rubber lip should be the correct part. The plastic clips you need are for the edge of the windshield. They hold the trim onto the windshield.

You can always check out the catalog on gcp.se.

The rear attachment of the 262C is different. It has a formed plastic 'seal' that will not survive removal and is completely unavailable. Ask me how I know.

Hiperfauto , do you if these clips and rubber are also used on the 262c front and rear windshields?

I don't believe so. There's no rubber molding listed nor are there any clips for the trim which is odd. What holds it on?

The rear attachment of the 262C is different. It has a formed plastic 'seal' that will not survive removal and is completely unavailable. Ask me how I know.

Ah! That explains it.

Last edited:
I don't believe so. There's no rubber molding listed nor are there any clips for the trim which is odd. What holds it on?

Both front and back windscreens and their associated trim are just gooed on with butyl flex.

Ah! That explains it.

:nod:

Typical Italian 'custom' work.

" Hey Giuseppe what should we do about this?"

" Just stick it on there, it won't come off on our watch."

There is a plastic trim piece around the glass that, while it did not hold the glass in place, it did fill the glass to pinch weld contact. I was never able to find it nor anything that could be used in its place. So, like RWC said I just 'gooed' it on with butyl.

Here is a cross section of the plastic trim.

20150702_130048.jpg

Lucky for me I did not remove the back glass. The front appeared to have been removed at some point due to a leak, hence all the rust I found near the cowl and also the excessive amount of butyl that I now need to remove from the trim. Hopefully when I have the front glass reinstalled the installer will do a much neater/cleaner job.

Back