• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Time for a change

volvo4life1

So I need to get better gas mileage if possible. right now Im getting 18mpg in the city on my 83 240 turbo. I have a couple of options i thought of, either swap to lh2.2 or some other fuel injection or get a newer 240. what kind of mpg could I get if I swapped to fuel injection? and what kind of mpg could I get from a na 240?

Last edited:
Is there anyway I can increase that? right now I'm actually getting 12mpg with heavy foot :-( I'm just waiting for some parts to come in though

start turning some screws and lean it out till it bucks :p

but really, a tuneup, fuel filter change/etc, then slap that tool on kjet and lean it out. but with the heat, and a lean tune, you should be careful for TOO lean

12 mpg even with a "heavy foot" sounds a bit low. I believe that I get about 20 mpg no matter how I drive. Of course I really don't know because the odometer is broken and I haven't swapped in the working unit yet. Maybe the K-jet just needs a tweak.

Do you have a manual that shows the proper technique for setting the idle? It involves disconnecting the IAC circuit and getting a "mechanical" idle first. Then when the IAC gets plugged back in it should idle somewhere around 900 or so. Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do. A wideband could also help with the diagnosis if there is a mixture issue.

You could also try cleaning out the IAC that you have. I have heard that they can stick. I have never had one go bad however.

This could also be useful...

http://www.k-jet.org/articles/information/k-jet-debugging-guide/

Good info there and it talks about high idle as well.

Last edited:
It idles at 1600, I'm sure that's got to affect ur gas milage

lower the idle then, i run no iac(just a bypass line around the throttlebody with a hoseclamp to reduce the flow), i have to blip the throttle to get it to start and idle for a few seconds, but it's a temp fix for a 1k idle

I agree with Olov. You should be able to get a mechanical idle first. There is a screw that allows for adjustment. You definitely need a manual of some sort to get that issue under control.

Back