• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s60 ohms

nwisco2

Hey folks, I have a 2006 s60, I see its speakers are 8 ohm(the read deck speakers are), am I able to replace them with 4 ohm speakers? How have some of you guys handled this? Are you changing the head unit or keeping it original? This model seems to have speakers on the top of the dash as well but I cant tell. Is is possible to change the factory speakers but keep the factory head unit? Or must I get an aftermarket head unit?

Good question. Based on a single post I saw in this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ar-shelf-speakers-on-S60-that-didn-t-have-any and not a wiring diagram, it sounds like the rear shelf speakers are wired in parallel to the rear door speakers.

Because of Ohms Law, this halves each speakers 8 ohm impedence to a combined 4 ohm load driven by the amp in the hu. Dropping a 4 ohm speaker in parallel to an 8 ohm speaker will result in a load of 2.7 ohms, too low to be driven by the factory amp without risk of overheating.

Tricky! Most aftermarket head units won't like a 2 ohm load either, but a high current separate amplifier can do it. If you look around you can find full range and component car speakers with the correct impedance.

My front door speakers were 4 ohm, so it was easy to pop in 4 ohm speakers. The tweeters above them say 8 ohm. I know the parcel speakers are 8 ohm so I wouldnt be surprised if the rear door speakers are 8 ohm. I also discovered that I dont have the center dash speaker, but my s60 is wired for it. I saw the connector under the dash, just not sure where the other side leads to. Anyone have an idea?

Back