• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

hdBattousai's 244 DD Performance Rebuild

hdBattousai

**NOTE: I'm currently holding off on the final engine build and am temporarily gonna +T for 160-175hp to get my hands dirty and learn more***

Hey all i'm finally getting somewhere with some money and means to do my project so figured i should post a build thread and try to get some help for the next steps. I have a 92 244 that's been pretty good to me so i pretty much wanna rebuild the thing from the ground up as time goes on as a Daily driver with offroad tones.

Probably have about 3-5k to invest in the engine alone over the next year, I don't mind spending a bit more though for a solid reliable engine that's pretty much rebuilt to new with strengthened internals. After the engine i will tackle the rest of the drivetrain/gearing/trans etc. just starting with the engine for now as I learn.

Have in it:
ipd pre pump upgrade
ipd 24 sway
modified aw71
-<del>Accumulator mod</del> found out it doesn't have it yet so have to do
-Full Nolene Kevlar clutches
-2,100 RPM stall (will upgrade to 2.5-2.8k when I swap engine)
-Valve Body porting
Zimmerman slotted front rotors with the green ceramic pads
New Stock Struts
Nissens radiator (will upgrade to performance when dropping in new engine)
diesel engine mounts
Weight Reduction (in progress still, stripped out trunk interior, rear seat, most of interior, )
IPD Performance Spark Plug Wires

Have For it:
'84 b23e
All poly bushings
RSI Stage 2 turbo cam
90+ Manifold
530 Head
3.73 g80 (eventually will swap for Toyota 4 Runner axle)
IPD Alluminum Belly pan
upper strut reinforcement plates
A/C Delete bracket
<del>42lb green giant knockoff injectors</del> returned
<del>IPD Performance Spark Plug Wires</del>
33lb Bosch white tops for now

Plan to get/do:
Megasquirt
squirterize the block
3" Downpipe and mandrel bent exhaust with high flow cat
IPD GT strut braces
Adjustable torque rods
upper strut reinforcement bar
SS Brake lines
Stoptech powerslot Rear rotors
IPD Adjustable Cam Gear
IPD Lower Chassis Tie bars
IPD Adjustable panhard bar?
New High Quality Lights and light assemblies
Fog/Offroad Lights
Wheel Bushings
Blue interior LED's
Lightweight windows
2 Fuel 12 gal cells mounted in trunk inside additional enclosure
Basic Aluminum Rollcage to assist with body roll
E-Fan Conversion
Hydraulic E-Brake?
Sequential Manual Transmission?
Add Lockup to Trans
Add external cooler to Trans
Getting another already ported 530 head, a enem v15 turbo cam, 16T turbo

Current To Do List:
Rebuild Engine
Accumulator mod
LEARN LEARN AND LEARN SUMOR'

Old Pic
IMG_20141204_215451_zpsygdylzif.jpg

Newer Pic
IMG_20150122_172729_zpsjfvfkvl4.jpg

Partially gutted interior
IMG_20141215_163426_zps4bkxi2vt.jpg

A Few Random Goodies
IMG_20130515_122338_zpsintvrodc.jpg

IMG_20141231_163651_zps5ueoynpc.jpg

IMG_20141203_110454_zpsfzcq1f0g.jpg

The Engine
L0FYjqj.jpg

IMG_20150114_122048_zpsephyr9q6.jpg

Last edited:
First thing on my list is finishing this engine as the cash starts a flowing. The block is completely stripped so i need to know what my next steps should be like take x port it to y, tank it, this mod does this, etc etc. as im a total noob to this stuff (yes i read the guide... 3 times... :grrr:) but just decided to hop right in and start learning what is out there, what i want, and finally how to do it.

Last edited:
i will be sealing and covering up the cells with sheet metal so it will be like a separate compartment. there only 11 inches high so they will fit on the rear floorboards and be easy to cover/seal away

I believe the tank needs to be vented to the outside with a roll over valve for safety. I've seen it done on vw bajas multiple time so should work

You have a trunk, why put the fuel cells on the floor right behind you? I'd want them as far away as possible and in another compatment if at all possible....

atleast 350 whp, if i get more cool but no biggie. I also got a discount at a machine shop from a buddy so i know that'll get costly but that helps a bit. 3k is a conservative budget just for the engine build and that is not part of what i already have. afaik i have everything needed to make it start running (except intercooler) so im thinking at this point i need to do machining and get any internals needed for whatever mods i choose. I know megasquirts is gonna be like 1k to install front to back and all that but I don't consider that part of the "engine build".

I know fige reached it with:
"Stock bottom end 91 b230ft, 16g evo8 turbo. RSi stage 3 cam. MSII. 531 head. Full 3'' exhaust (cat & mufflers)
Running e85. "

which looking parts wise im not to far off from but im looking to modify my bottom end port my intake/exhaust/tb and whatever else i can find out about that sounds good and decrease the amount of boost needed (hes running 19psi I think it was o_O) hence why i created this post. Not sure about what and how much to port let alone options for my bottom end besides stroker (which i still don't really understand tbh :lol:) I can stretch up to 5k but may not make that much to spare this year and id like to get er done. Is 3k really unreasonable for just the engine with what i already have?

also one thing i WONT do is bore my pistons and go oversized

also anyone know of a good instructional thread for installing a g80 and methods to permanently lock it? not sure if i can just open up the pumpkin and swap or if i need to disengage/pull the axles

Not that I've done anything remotely to what you plan on, so my experience is limited.

However...

Drop a LR4 in there with a mild cam and you've hit your power goals with torque to spare. And it's WAY more reliable.

All this crazy stuff for grass-o-cross?
You know that it is pretty much pointless to go more than 220-230 on gravel/dirt in a 2wd car dotcha?
24 gallons total?
Stage III cam?
Cage?

HEY NOW! HEY HEY!!! WATCHU TALKIN BOUT NOW o_O lol naw i know i was actually starting think more bajaish with it but i keep changing my mind haha. I actually learned stroking and and destroking blah blah after i got off work today so i think ima see what i can do for stroker like grab a b21 and toss my b23 crank in there n do all the measurement stuffs see if that'll work or not, i think my local pnp has the block already pretty much stripped on a 79 in their yard. If i go that route im more looking at 250-300 hp with far more torque.

yes 24 gallon, 12 e85, 12 premium pump, weight displacement

stage 2?

hell yes xD

so what i gotta do for a xratty column? is it a bish?

@john sorry i didn't call you yesterday, got called into a meeting and everything snowballed from there. I'll give you a call sometime today on one of my breaks

@SteveMD Yeah sure that would be nice, i didn't see that sub-forum but by the time i'm done i will pretty much done a full resto. (probably take a few years tho haha) gotta get some 4g and ill upload more photos today 2

thats why steve offered to move it... i didnt see that section :oops:
edit: and he deleted his post lol

Digging thru rally anarchy to get more ideas after picking johns brain and learning a few new things will update when i get pictures uploaded and have a better idea/more solid plan of what i wanna do

Back