• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Coilovers: The Kyote Way

Coilover Noob incomming, so be prepared :D

My 242 Turbo needs to be lower, better handling and some adjustability would be awesome, so i need Coilovers.

Being a broke-ass student running a 245 Turbo daily (with gasprices of €1,60/liter) and a commute of 60km's every day it hard on my money, but Volvo-life is everything for me :D
i don't have a whole lof of money to spend on buying them, but building them would save me some money (i can go Bilstein shocks/ IPD loweringsprings, but i like coilovers better)

Can anyone of you give me a list of which dampers to buy and where i can find the perches? The problem for me is i live in Holland, and shipping everything from the USA to here will cost me a lot.
Shipping some parts is not a problem, but if i can buy things over here would be nice.

I see some of you using Buick/chrysler inserts etc, but over here in Europe we don't have a lot of those cars, so spares are expensive/not to find.

What i want:
- 2" to 3" lowering all around
- better handling
- some camber adjustment
- Quality Dampers and components

Last edited:
I stock a lot of lowering parts for the 200. Take a look at my website and shipping from the UK is not so bad.

You cant have teh 4 things above cheap but it does not have to cost the earth either

Can you fab them on your own?

Btw.. those 4 points together wont work when spending Money is a problem ;)

i've a welder and ain't afraid to use it :p.. And yes, i've the tools to create those coilovers myself, just need the right components like springs etc..

I know with the limited resources that i have, i can't build the ultimate setup, but a "basic" coilover set, will outperform the most expensive loweringsprings. i think i can build a good coilover with 800 - 1000 euro's.

what i need is a good shock insert with good availibility in Europe.. any ideas. and which springs do i need for a 3" drop.

i've a welder and ain't afraid to use it :p.. And yes, i've the tools to create those coilovers myself, just need the right components like springs etc..

I know with the limited resources that i have, i can't build the ultimate setup, but a "basic" coilover set, will outperform the most expensive loweringsprings. i think i can build a good coilover with 800 - 1000 euro's.

what i need is a good shock insert with good availibility in Europe.. any ideas. and which springs do i need for a 3" drop.

look at my Racecar thread :)

@ Kyote.. this Thread is about slamming old Volvos to the ground.. it's kicking until every single bit has transformed in FerrooxideIII :D

Coilover Noob incomming, so be prepared :D

My 242 Turbo needs to be lower, better handling and some adjustability would be awesome, so i need Coilovers.

Being a broke-ass student running a 245 Turbo daily (with gasprices of ?1,60/liter) and a commute of 60km's every day it hard on my money, but Volvo-life is everything for me :D
i don't have a whole lof of money to spend on buying them, but building them would save me some money (i can go Bilstein shocks/ IPD loweringsprings, but i like coilovers better)

Can anyone of you give me a list of which dampers to buy and where i can find the perches? The problem for me is i live in Holland, and shipping everything from the USA to here will cost me a lot.
Shipping some parts is not a problem, but if i can buy things over here would be nice.

I see some of you using Buick/chrysler inserts etc, but over here in Europe we don't have a lot of those cars, so spares are expensive/not to find.

What i want:
- 2" to 3" lowering all around
- better handling
- some camber adjustment
- Quality Dampers and components
http://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/240

Hi Everybody !

Sorry for my bad english i'm from France :-D

I read de 29 pages of this topic but I need to kwon the part number of Saab 9-3 or 900 struts, because , for the moment I don't have enough compression travel, every big bump it's a problem

My setup

stock-length struts
Kalphenke coilovers kit with 8x350lbs Eibach springs on front

The only solution to drop more it's to cut my struts, but I need to have the good part number of Saab struts before cut, the Koni's it's to expensive for my utilisation

Here you can see a picture of my brick with good level, but I need to cut the struts to have a good riding with enough compression travel

Here for after with my Tramont wheels

Thanks from France !

Hi Everybody !

Sorry for my bad english i'm from France :-D

I read de 29 pages of this topic but I need to kwon the part number of Saab 9-3 or 900 struts, because , for the moment I don't have enough compression travel, every big bump it's a problem

My setup

stock-length struts
Kalphenke coilovers kit with 8x350lbs Eibach springs on front

The only solution to drop more it's to cut my struts, but I need to have the good part number of Saab struts before cut, the Koni's it's to expensive for my utilisation

Here you can see a picture of my brick with good level, but I need to cut the struts to have a good riding with enough compression travel

Here for after with my Tramont wheels

Thanks from France !
Dat wood...

I have read through this and have started ordering stuff... im from northern ireland and have a good knowledge of cars but im struggling to grasp what everyone means by spring perch.. is this bolted to the body of the vehicle where the spring rests? Has anyone any better pictures of the volvo perchs?
Thanks in advance

I have read through this and have started ordering stuff... im from northern ireland and have a good knowledge of cars but im struggling to grasp what everyone means by spring perch.. is this bolted to the body of the vehicle where the spring rests? Has anyone any better pictures of the volvo perchs?
Thanks in advance
spring perch = spring seat

It's the part the spring sits on.

Has anyone tried to level this 1up and cut a thread on a thickwalled tube and weld that to the spindle?

I am wondering what tubing should be used for this. Havent found any shop which sells stainless with good wallthickness except for 60,3 x 3mm

Kaplhenke does new tubes for the higher priced coilovers. May want to PM him for details. It will more than likely need to be machined to fit.

Well, you're asking about pipe size, not asking for a file to copy, which would contain proprietary information. Pipe size is pipe size. You machine the OD and ID until you get the desired results. If keeping a pipe size a secret is a big deal, then you may need to measure.

Back