• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Sagging rear-end, wagon

VolvoScout

My '82 240 wagon (160k miles) and my Mom's '90 240 wagon (98k miles) both sag a bit in the back, unloaded.
Both cars feel a little "bouncy" in the rear. (shocks are "soft" but fine/new)

When the cargo area of either car is loaded (i.e. for weekend trips), the front definitely sits higher than the rear.
I've gotten used to it over the years, but is this normal for these old wagons? (is it part of the original design?)

I replaced all of the suspension bushings with new OEM rubber and installed new OEM shocks on both cars.

I've tried the Bilstein HD B6 + overload springs but they were unbearable without any weight.

The Bilstein TC B4 were nice, but the rear of the car constantly jumped when driving on the less than ideal roads.

Would nivomat shocks help?/Are there any nivomat shocks currently available for the 240?
(I read somewhere that there was a nivomat option back in the day)

Could it be the rear springs...do these "weaken" over time?
If so, would these be the correct replacement? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-lesjofors-1212427-les-4295803

I went ahead and got the Lesjefors on FCP.
They are shorter than the rear springs on my wagon
OhUjPZe.jpg
[/IMG]

The car handles nicely down the road but sits lower than it was before; looks more like my Sedan.
Concerns me about loading weight in the back.

w8mf6aK.jpg
[/IMG]

Are these actually safe to use on the wagon?
It looks like it'll bottom out with weight.
The part number on Volvo matches the sedan, not the wagon.
The Lesjefors description of the spring is the following: "Lesjefors has developed a spring rate that is suitable for both 2, 4, and 5 door variations. This is why sedans and coupes will experience a slightly higher spring rate (slightly firmer) than OEM."

Either case, I'm going to send them back and exchange for the Lejefors "HD Version," which I just noticed share the same part number as the OEM wagon springs...The "HD" through me off at first glance and made me think it was similar to the IPD HD Overload Springs....Lesson learned; should've cross-referenced the part numbers at the start rather than going by the manufacturer description.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-coil-spring-lesjofors-43615816

Last edited:
The Lesjefors description of the spring is the following: "Lesjefors has developed a spring rate that is suitable for both 2, 4, and 5 door variations. This is why sedans and coupes will experience a slightly higher spring rate (slightly firmer) than OEM."

Either case, I'm going to send them back and exchange for the Lejefors "HD Version," which I just noticed share the same part number as the OEM wagon springs...The "HD" through me off at first glance and made me think it was similar to the IPD HD Overload Springs....Lesson learned; should've cross-referenced the part numbers at the start rather than going by the manufacturer description.

A stock 240 wagn uses a sprng wire dia close to 13mm, and a stock sedn uses a dia closr to 12mm. I have 14mm(Swedish _____maker?) rear sprngs on my wagn, they are rough over RR tracks or speed-bumps, but the vehicle handles nice, the height is perfect and loads are not an issue, so they're staying for now.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the Lesjefors on FCP.
They are shorter than the rear springs on my wagon
OhUjPZe.jpg
[/IMG]

The car handles nicely down the road but sits lower than it was before; looks more like my Sedan.
Concerns me about loading weight in the back.

w8mf6aK.jpg
[/IMG]

Wagon specific ones have an additional coil +.3mm thicker? I guess maybe those ones you have currently aren't truly "suitable."

Back