• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle242GT's 1959 5.044

Looks like that'd be my path to megasquirt tuning and boost support. But I still have to figure out the wiring.

If I take it slow, I should be able to source pretty much all the wiring from the donor, ECU included. One of the slick things about it is it's sequential injection.

I wonder what the 5.0 guys do when they turbo... eh, down the road.

a lot of guys use like sct tuners and the like whenever they turbo it.

its not a fox specific forum, but if you ever need info or anything, if you post on horsepowerjunkies.com/forums, there's a TON of fox drivin rednecks (its an nc-based site) on there that are more than willing to help with that side of the project..

Back at it today, another six hours or so... finished tracing out the wiring, extracted the fuel pump wiring, traced a few more things around to hopefully get my brain around the wiring. Kinda scary because I know I'm not likely to get back to it for many many moons.

Couple small lulz occurred - while pulling the fuel pump/relay/impact wiring out of the body harness, wound up with an extra wire. Went round and round trying to understand what the purpose of it could be.... oh yeah :doh: fuel gauge.

Then, while debating trying to get the car to start and run by kludging the wiring back together off-car (to prove out what I'd been doing so far) my wife came home. Ran it past her, and she gave me the look :wtf: "haven't you done wiring before?"

So, I proceeded to pull the wiring off the car, then got crackin on the engine pull. Stopped short of actually getting it out (I like foreplay) but did get the exhaust, driveshaft, smog pump, power steering pump (unsure if I will want PS or if the mustang rack can be run de-powered, or if it will even work) off the car. Rather funny to notice the driveshaft bolts were loose... and the tailshaft seal is trashed. But the trans oil was new looking (and smelling), and broken connectors indicated it had been recently out. And the flywheel (Made in China, conspicuously stamped), while ferrous, has the look of a hotrod piece. Curiouser and curiouser.

At any rate, the Roach has rolled its last. Might try to get the engine/trans out tomorrow.

Attachments

• P7063642.JPG
    P7063642.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 770
  • P7063644.JPG
    P7063644.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 841
  • P7073651.JPG
    P7073651.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 770
  • P7073649.jpg
    P7073649.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 768
  • P7073652.JPG
    P7073652.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 771
Last thing I heard was an SR swap, now I check in a few months later and you're going 5.0 :nod:

Hit me up sometime I can hand you tools/beer and laugh at your misfortune - oh that's right you already have a wife.

Sold the engine/trans/radiator today. :bouncy: now to finish taking the 5.0 out.

//edit, that didn't take long.

No pics because wife and kids took all the cameras on their vacation... :-(

Last edited:
Last thing I heard was an SR swap, now I check in a few months later and you're going 5.0 :nod:

Hit me up sometime I can hand you tools/beer and laugh at your misfortune - oh that's right you already have a wife.

Sold the engine/trans/radiator today. :bouncy: now to finish taking the 5.0 out.

//edit, that didn't take long.

No pics because wife and kids took all the cameras on their vacation... :-(

Just something I noticed, but your avatars... look a lot like, kind of. Facial expression wise lOL

Looks like that'd be my path to megasquirt tuning and boost support. But I still have to figure out the wiring.

If I take it slow, I should be able to source pretty much all the wiring from the donor, ECU included. One of the slick things about it is it's sequential injection.

I wonder what the 5.0 guys do when they turbo... eh, down the road.

Also check out http://www.theturboforums.com/ That started life as a turbo mustang only forum. There's all kinds of info to be had over there.

Out, empty, and gone....

Next step - degrease the 5.0/T5, tear out the PV's interior, and start cuttin. :omg:

Attachments

• 2012-07-25_17-30-12_21.jpg
    2012-07-25_17-30-12_21.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 2012-07-25_14-42-29_754.jpg
    2012-07-25_14-42-29_754.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 649
  • 2012-07-25_14-03-19_19.jpg
    2012-07-25_14-03-19_19.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 652
DIWY?

(Does It Wheelie Yet?)

I just ordered another cam for my PV's B20. I go through cams with a certain amount of reckless abandon. Double valve springs, high lift cams, high rpms, yeah.

Hi ho hi ho, rip and tear I go.

Removed steering, pedals, dash, wiring, ebrake, carpeting etc. Found a bunch of rust in the floors. :rant: Guess that's to be expected from something so old.

Took a look at the Mustang rack - it's really too wide. Kind of on the fence re: power or manual, but I guess I'll see what I can find at Pnp. Anyone with any tips or ideas? Might still use the Mustang column, we'll see how that shakes out.

As of now, planning to use the Mustang pedals, master, booster, etc. The PV pedals, floor-hung as they are, are really in the wrong places, and the PV brake master is potentially in the way - at the very least, I'd never be able to fill it.

Sold a few more parts off the Mustang, now officially a HoverCar. Down to $700 net cost of donor. I feel pretty good about that. Be really nice if I could've used the rear end and steering, but such is life.

Looks like I might be in trouble as far as pedal clearance goes, so I may enlarge the footwell by angling the inner kick area outward and expanding the front of the firewall; there's a lot of room inside the fender.

Next step will be to remove the fuel and brake lines from the tunnel, and then cut away.

This is a crazy big project, really didn't bother thinking too far ahead. Probably for the best.

Attachments

• DSCN2401.jpg
    DSCN2401.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCN2403.jpg
    DSCN2403.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN2402.jpg
    DSCN2402.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 593
  • DSCN2404.jpg
    DSCN2404.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCN2407.jpg
    DSCN2407.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 591
Still can sell the headlights. Sand the bumper down, fill any imperfections, hit it with some OEM looking primer....sell.

If you're not going to use the steering column - want to sell me the turn signal switch housing?

Mine is 25% thick rattle can paint (peeling), 60% crystallized crumbing plastic, 15% cracks.

Those floors are pretty solid compared to mine. It has rust worse than that... on the (poorly installed) replacements! laugh-laugh-cry

Hi John - sounds like a possibility - will be a while until I deal with the steering column, bug me later if you remember. Mine looks to be OEM casting and overspray, some crystallization.

Mav - the front bumper I've had some inquiries on, but it's pretty shredded at the lower grille area. Think it's worth farting with?

With an ounce of luck and a smootch of determination, tomorrow I cut. :omg:

Degreased the engine today, it's definitely been apart recently; not a spec of paint on the block or heads (fools decided to forgo $10 of paint?) all exposed gaskets are pliable and new looking.

Did some measuring with the oil pan, crossmember, radiator support, firewall....

ford_mustang_1990_oil_pan_oem_f4ze_6675_ca_f4ze6675ca.jpg

The front sump, which doesn't have a pickup as far I can see, is in the way of "optimum" positioning - ie, engine as far back as possible while retaining accessibility to the rear plugs (etc) and keeping the shifter location reasonable. If I put the front sump behind the PV crossmember, the engine's (probably) too far back. If put the front sump ahead of the PV crossmember, there's no room for the radiator.

So, I'll either leave the front sump as-is and just put it (all but) smack on top of the crossmember, or remove it altogether in the interest of getting the engine a little lower in the chassis. We're talking 3/4" or so, so maybe not worth sweating.

Gotta love the details. :roll:

Back