• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Filter Magnets

photoman327

Anyone use a filter magnet 🧲? Looking for feedback and experience first hand. I remember having fine black powder on the inside of the filter when I cut them open. Don?t know why I stopped but looking at going to 10,000 mile service V?s 5,000. Got two different types coming

I have one on my drain plug, never find much on it. I go 5-6K miles on an oil change using Mobile 1

They help in my experience. It's just that much less floating around in the oil. If you have a bad old hard drive laying around. bust it open and use the magnets inside.

you would be trapping the particles before they enter the filter media, you could not tell if the magnet is doing anything.
suppose you do find particles, are you going to ground the car and rebuild your engine? what is your plan according to different results of your test?

What are you going to do with the information?
it's not like you are going to cancel a space shuttle launch.

Last edited:
Got to the point I hate to work on stuff and those that fine grit that may pass through the filter media will cause wear. I will change the oil on the two that are due Honda Civic 2006 at 195,000 and my 2002 GMC Yukon that at 330,000. Both use little to no oil on a 5,000 mile service. I don’t want to work on them so I will know at the next service if I’m pissing in the wind. Not expecting chunks or metal but a fine black grit that will cause wear and shorten the engine life.

Anyone with a magnetic drain plug knows the tiny bit of powdered metal that shows up on your oil changes. More magnets can't hurt, rare earth magnets are super cheap on Amazon. Why not? It certainly can't hurt.

better to put magnets on your fuel lines to magnetically align the gas molecules for increased milage

Pu t magnets on the intake vortex generator too, to get the air molecularly aligned. It's almost like cold fuision!
vortex_booster_gas_fuel_saver_air_intake_turbo_usa.jpg

But what if you get the magnets backward on one of them? Then the fuel and air will magnetically reject each other!!!

Are magnets a component of a flux capacitor?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rFzR_FOTq2I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use the IPD drain plug magnet in both 1993 Classics. There is always a little black goo on the magnet at the oil change. Not sure if it helps but I’d rather have it on the magnet then in the oil.

I've run a FilterMag in my 70 Chevelle, ever since I wiped a cam lobe in my Lunati VOODOO cam (not enough ZDDP oil in the old school flat tappet engine was the cause). First pair of oil changes, I cut the housing off of the filter and sure enough, each one had blackish-grey iron attached to surface. For the haters, I might have to look back into my Malibu pics for a picture to validate. Considering the trauma that SBC saw, I'll keep using it.

Can't find my FilterMag capture pics, but here's the magic lube for such old school engines with flat tappet:

Last edited:
I just went a bit over 10k on synthetic Rotella T6 in my 400k mile 93 classic. Changed the oil yesterday. The IPD drain plug had a nice afro of ferrous material on it.

What's the deal with running diesel rated motor oil in a gasser? Is the soot-holding capability a desired feature? Sincerely curious.

What's the deal with running diesel rated motor oil in a gasser? Is the soot-holding capability a desired feature? Sincerely curious.

I?ve run Rotella T5 10W30 for years in the 93 Classics. API CJ4 and SM. The valve train is unbelievably clean.

Back