• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo OEM key blanks cut by the dealer

DET17

Reformed SAABaholic
Curious to know the current pricing for this service. Need to get some quality keys for my DD.... been livin' on a prayer for years with a single bent key.

SAAB made them for me years back from the VIN#, I think they charged around $15 a key.

thanks folks.

I did this around 5 years ago - not very current but I believe it was in the $40 range. Call a dealer?

I bought some blank factory 2/7/9 keys from a dealer years ago and they were less than $10 each, I can't remember exactly.

I bought a 960 key, cut, from a dealer a few months ago and it was around $13.

Dealers have different prices too. Keep calling until you are price happy

I get spare ignition keys for my Volvos made at Lowes. For dirt cheap.

I went into my local dealer, and he quoted me $50 for a 960 key... just one. He said something about it being a crap shoot since when they cut new keys, the edges can be sharp, and so 1% of the keys won't work, or can damage the locks... I need a new key, but now I'm wondering it it would just be better to save up for a whole new lock set? Is there any truth to what he was saying?

Try Flow Volvo in Burlington NC, that's where I got mine for $13.

New keys and old worn lock cylinders can be an issue with any kind of key. I usually run freshly cut keys on a wire wheel for a little while if its going to be used in an older car.

Dealer price around here is around $40-45 for regular or laser cut keys but those come pre-cut from Volvo, not cut at the dealer. The dealer used to have a key cutter so keys were a lot less.

Try Flow Volvo in Burlington NC, that's where I got mine for $13.

New keys and old worn lock cylinders can be an issue with any kind of key. I usually run freshly cut keys on a wire wheel for a little while if its going to be used in an older car.

Also this. I thought I was the only one....

Steel Keys

I had one ordered for my 740 from the VIN at my dealer for about $35. Make sure you test it there before leaving.

The Volvo ones are STEEL and not even many locksmiths have the right machine to cut steel keys. Apparently my dealer does not have the steel machine. Do some dealers?

You can order non steel blanks http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4326/Key-Blank-240K/ and get the nice rubber coating.

Ordered 3 with the VIN at the local dealer. All were wrong, had to get a blank and have a friend cut it.

I wonder if the locks were changed at sometime during the cars life, and they didn't record it :c I think you're able to register new lock sets with Volvo?

Yes. Those are in the link from my post above. They work very well. Just take them to your locksmith and they copy fine. I like the extra "plastic" on them that key copiers do not normally stock.

That's what I get for reading through.

Where's the face palm smiley...?

I had some cut from the factory but it barely worked. When the dealer used to cut them those worked great.
So they are steel? Why would the key be stronger than the lock, isnt it better to have the key softer than the detents inside the lock?

My perception is that VIN# cut keys should restore original function.... I know of the wire brush ing to deburr those sharp corners. A copy of a worn out imitation key.....is another worn out key. Some mornings my old clone key won't turn the ignition cylinder. I'm going to give the OEM a try... and YES, I won't leave there until we have working key(s). Since I'm just outside metro Atlanta, I'm expecting to pay RETAIL++ , just because they can, and I don't want to fight the damn perimeter traffic to drive across the city to another dealer.

Back