home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Default V8 or b230ft?

I got a '93 245 with 2.4lh and I want to start a build. I don't know which would be better for me but I know with either option I'd be happy. Which would be the more cost effective and easier performance wise for me to do. Money and and ability are of no matter because I have plenty of people ready to help and it's a build so it will be built paycheck to paycheck. I'd also like to add that I'd be leaning towards drifting and/or tracking it. Thanks for your opinions in advance.
tyluhhh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

B230FT is cheaper, easier...

Really, how much are you planning to spend?

If money is no object, Dodge Magnum's come with an available 6.1L Hemi
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
volvinator
Board Member

Depends on how much power you would like. I wouldn't bother with a 200-300 hp V8. Somewhere after that though it may be worth it. Sounds like you have some green so may want to build a crazy ls1 or Windsor, Wemi whatever , though I have found these fairly tempting... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+engone&_rdc=1
volvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylesofsmyles View Post
B230FT is cheaper, easier...

Really, how much are you planning to spend?

If money is no object, Dodge Magnum's come with an available 6.1L Hemi
I'd like it to be ready by not this coming Summer but the following so basically trying to keep it around 10k. That's including all body work and suspension. You think dropping a ft is cheaper and easier? I'm getting ready to build coilovers and dual rear sway bars.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvinator View Post
Depends on how much power you would like. I wouldn't bother with a 200-300 hp V8. Somewhere after that though it may be worth it. Sounds like you have some green so may want to build a crazy ls1 or Windsor, Wemi whatever , though I have found these fairly tempting... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+engone&_rdc=1
I'm trying to stay away from a **** ton of wiring so any carb'd motor or a ft is in my mind.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
GreatDaneShane
Board Member

The ft can make 300 with a little effort, but around there the stock rods become an issue.
What kind of power are you trying to make? because after a certain point (about 300hp with either engine) drivetrain parts start to twist/snap/break.
GreatDaneShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
GreatDaneShane
Board Member

also, give this a read
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
GreatDaneShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluhhh93 View Post
I'd like it to be ready by not this coming Summer but the following so basically trying to keep it around 10k. That's including all body work and suspension. You think dropping a ft is cheaper and easier? I'm getting ready to build coilovers and dual rear sway bars.
Quote:
I'm trying to stay away from a **** ton of wiring so any carb'd motor or a ft is in my mind.

Yes, I'm positive a B230FT is considerably cheaper & easier than a V8 conversion.

You've got a '93 240 already...that's LH2.4...

Should you find yourself a 93+ 940 TURBO donor car, you can drop that motor right in, with only a simple swap of intermediate shafts...to run your 240 block distributor, and swap over your 240 motor mounts & accessories. Swap ECU/ICU and go, go go!

Not much wiring to it....less the fact that your 6-wire AMM plug is on the wrong side...either lengthen the wires, or carefully open the harness to move the wires, that are already long enough, to the passenger side.

Oh, and you'll have to dig up a intercooler and plumbing and brackets for a 240 turbo, but that's easy.

Why paint a drift car? All those things are destined for the wall anyway.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
2manyturbos

Quote:
If your goal is 300+ hp, an LSX GM V8 and a Painless wiring harness would go a long way. It's cheaper in the long run, despite what many on here will tell you. Take a look at some of the V8 LQ/LS build threads on here before settling on a B230FT.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDaneShane View Post
The ft can make 300 with a little effort, but around there the stock rods become an issue.
What kind of power are you trying to make? because after a certain point (about 300hp with either engine) drivetrain parts start to twist/snap/break.
Between 3-400 sounds good to me. I know plenty of 5.0's and Ellis Juans around where I live but no b230ft's. It's unfortunate.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm positive a B230FT is considerably cheaper & easier than a V8 conversion.

You've got a '93 240 already...that's LH2.4...

Should you find yourself a 93+ 940 TURBO donor car, you can drop that motor right in, with only a simple swap of intermediate shafts...to run your 240 block distributor, and swap over your 240 motor mounts & accessories. Swap ECU/ICU and go, go go!

Not much wiring to it....less the fact that your 6-wire AMM plug is on the wrong side...either lengthen the wires, or carefully open the harness to move the wires, that are already long enough, to the passenger side.

Oh, and you'll have to dig up a intercooler and plumbing and brackets for a 240 turbo, but that's easy.

Why paint a drift car? All those things are destined for the wall anyway.
So you think I should go b230ft? And I love my metallic grey. It's so sparkly.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
volvinator
Board Member

5.0 would be very fun , lots of great heads to choose from these days.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
So you think I should go b230ft? And I love my metallic grey. It's so sparkly.
I think you should buy a Dodge Magnum...

86+ 240's are pointless...everyone knows that.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
I think you should buy a Dodge Magnum...

86+ 240's are pointless...everyone knows that.
**** Magnums.. >.>
Old 03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
5.0 would be very fun , lots of great heads to choose from these days.
I hear you on that. Such a good and unique sound too.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
volvinator
Board Member

Quote:
I hear you on that. Such a good and unique sound too.
Well I know they are not the best mufflers but few things sound as good to me than a 5.0 HO with Flowmasters. Even a stock 5.0. I have 92 coupe myself so I'm sorta biased.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Well I know they are not the best mufflers but few things sound as good to me than a 5.0 HO with Flowmasters. Even a stock 5.0. I have 92 coupe myself so I'm sorta biased.
My buddy is selling his '91 notchback. It was on Fast Fords cover car or whatever. No traction in 5th on the highway. Scared the **** out of me.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
2manyturbos

Quote:
Between 3-400 sounds good to me. I know plenty of 5.0's and Ellis Juans around where I live but no b230ft's. It's unfortunate.
Which is it, 300, or 400? It makes a huge difference. If it is 300, that can be obtained from the B230FT fairly easily and the engine will still be reliable. If it is 400 and you want it to be reliable, go with a different engine, unless, it just has to be a Volvo power plant. To get 400 hp reliably out of a B230, about the only thing you are going to have left from the original engine is the block, auxiliary shaft and oil pan. An LSX makes 400 hp without any mods and will make it reliably.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Which is it, 300, or 400? It makes a huge difference. If it is 300, that can be obtained from the B230FT fairly easily and the engine will still be reliable. If it is 400 and you want it to be reliable, go with a different engine, unless, it just has to be a Volvo power plant. To get 400 hp reliably out of a B230, about the only thing you are going to have left from the original engine is the block, auxiliary shaft and oil pan. An LSX makes 400 hp without any mods and will make it reliably.
Turbo LSX ftw
Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
2manyturbos

^^ Lol. Now you're talking 550+ HP. It just snowballs. You'll be building an 8.8" or 9" rear axle to put that kind of power to the ground.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #21
tyluhhh93
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
^^ Lol. Now you're talking 550+ HP. It just snowballs. You'll be building an 8.8" or 9" rear axle to put that kind of power to the ground.
I'm just playinnn'. :p
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Dude, put some objectives in mind...I know a guy who makes reproduction Ford/Cosworth V8 engines for the 74 McLaren F1 cars....IRTB's and water meth injection....they're real screamers!

Really, what kinda budget do you have? If you haven't seen the Converse Engineering mounts, which many have reproduced, you'll see that the 5.0's are near bolt in.....especially with the available T5 driveshaft adapters...and those motors aren't very expensive....with worlds of aftermarket parts available.

LSX is money, but I'm sure there are pro's to them too.

Just curious, what's your experience in drifting/racing?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #23
johngeiser
Board Member

I looked into both options. The easiest way in my opinion is do a ford 5.0 swap. They're stupid cheap, and wiring isn't too bad. But if you absolutely hate wiring you could carb it as well.

And even if you do build a b230ft you still have the issue of the transmission. You'd most likely swap that anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
johngeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
Dan
Watching the World burn

Quote:
I really like my SBC with a flowmaster 3"

That being said, You need to decide how important torque is, both a V8 and a B230FT can make 300 HP, but at what rpm and what kind of torque curve?
I Like torque, my SBC makes 300+ lb ft of torque, I say go 5.0 for the low dollar approach, LS1 if you can spend a few dollars more.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
centason
Autogestion

It actually will depend on if you will be doing this on your own too. B230 will have to at least go to the machine shop if you have to tear it down for rods over 300+. 300 can be done with an LQ4 block just by putting it in the engine bay. But then comes the transmission choice. But that goes for the b230 as well. It's a choice that you will have to ultimately make.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote