home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
RR
Board Member

Default Anyone here have experience with BR...

Coilover Kit supplied by FCP? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...br#description

I have Bilsteins on order from IPD and they are slow to come, then I ran across this kit.

Any thoughts on this kit vs stock springs and Bilsteins HD's? I am building up my '92 740 and have IPD sway bar kit already installed, plus engine enhancements and basically throwing everything I have into the 740, fwiw.

I would consider theories as well...

Thanks in advance, RR
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The whole point of going to coil overs is that you can tune your suspension to better provide you with the handling, and ride that you are looking for.

Stock springs with bilstein HD shocks are a shock upgrade. Stock springs are comfort oriented and give up a lot of handling potential for a good ride and lots of suspension travel so you can fly over pot holes.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
TurboDutch
Board Member

A lot of people using BC here and they are damn good they are!
TurboDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Really depends on what you want. The spring rates that come with those are not well matched to a RWD Volvo.

Are you comfortable with cutting and welding because you need to do that to install those coilovers.

There are other options on the market.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Acke
Board Member

I've had BCs on my 940 for three years, including some trackdays. I ended up with it because I knew it came with the documents needed to pass inspection here and I got it for a decent price. It's far from the stock comfort, but I'd rate the comfort ok for a daily driver. Not too far from bilstein B8 and lowering springs.
The front requires welding, but otherwise it's nice and adjuting is easy (camber up to a certain point). The rear is not as good, the adjustment knob is up in the frame so yu have to drop the damper to adjust it. I had difficulties getting the rear set up so it wouldn't be bouncy and I know other who have had the same complaints. The stock street version is 5kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear, but there are other springs available as well. Unfotunately no softer springs for the rear AFAIK.
If you want a comfortable ride BC is not the best choice, for good streets and occational trackdays it's ok, but there are probably better ones.
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
RR
Board Member

Default Thanks for your input...

It appears my Bilsteins have shipped and am going that route.

Cheers
RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acke View Post
I've had BCs on my 940 for three years, including some trackdays. I ended up with it because I knew it came with the documents needed to pass inspection here and I got it for a decent price. It's far from the stock comfort, but I'd rate the comfort ok for a daily driver. Not too far from bilstein B8 and lowering springs.
The front requires welding, but otherwise it's nice and adjuting is easy (camber up to a certain point). The rear is not as good, the adjustment knob is up in the frame so yu have to drop the damper to adjust it. I had difficulties getting the rear set up so it wouldn't be bouncy and I know other who have had the same complaints. The stock street version is 5kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear, but there are other springs available as well. Unfotunately no softer springs for the rear AFAIK.
If you want a comfortable ride BC is not the best choice, for good streets and occational trackdays it's ok, but there are probably better ones.
i heard rumors that you can mount the rears "upsidedown" without an effect, so you can adjust them more easily
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
StreetForged
Board Member

I'm a bit late and you got one reply from someone else who has them, but I also have had them on my 240 for about a year. The fronts weren't fun to install but like Acke mentioned they work pretty well. My kit came with 6k 6k springs. The rear for me was also extremely bouncy unless I set the dampeners above 25 clicks. I ended up having to remove one of the locking collars so the spring wasn't preloaded too much, and it's hard to get the car to sit without a pretty noticeable rake unless you remove the locking collars completely. It's fairly stiff, but is very tolerable if you don't mind a stiff ride. The rear design is pretty bad and overall I'm not terribly happy with it. It seemed like they never actually thoroughly tested these on cars before they started selling them. I don't hate them though, and would rate them a 7/10
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acke View Post
How are they providing documents that will pass the TUV inspection stuff if its getting cut and welded into place by anyone?
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Acke
Board Member

They don't mention the welding, so it's kind of a workaround... I had mine done because I didn't trust my own welding in such a crucial place. Passed the technical and visual inspection with no problems. That said, I know at least one case where the inspection has been failed because of welding.
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote