• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3 Pricing Help

SteveMD

Membro
I have a 'Towery' T3 that needs a new oil seal. This isn't an ordinary T3 but not a T3/T4 either. Somewhere in between I guess.

Does anyone use or buy these anymore? I want to sell it.

Thanks, steve

Which one is it?

The volvo T3 compressor backing plate uses the "dynamic" oil seal. It's like a piston ring, similar to the turbine side oil seal.

The Ford 60trim backing plate would use the 4pc (?) carbon seal (thanks KennyH, I learned this from him when I was first trying to rebuild a T3 over 10yr ago and had a lot of questions). I never ran one of those ford backing plates...I always switched to the Volvo plate when piecing together a 60trim cold side on a T3. The 60trim Ford compressor wheel fits with the backing plate from a 42trim 240 or 45trim 740 T3. Same "major" diameter.

A used T3 with good wheels and a turbine shaft that isn't scored should be about $100, +/- a little. The smaller volvo comp wheel would not be as desirable to some as the 60trim Ford wheel. A major rebuild kit used to be about $75, and anyone with basic skills with hand tools and some care and attention to detail can disassemble, clean, install some new parts, and reassemble/clock a T3. Even Ian Bill could almost put one together, except when he tightened the compressor backing plate unevenly and the shaft didn't turn...back up and try again.

Is this a for sale ad? I'll leave it here for now.

Hi, there, Michael. I will look it over and take a couple pics tomorrow. Then we may be able to determine which one it is. That done, I will post a FS ad with pics. Thanks!

Which one is it?

The volvo T3 compressor backing plate uses the "dynamic" oil seal. It's like a piston ring, similar to the turbine side oil seal.

The Ford 60trim backing plate would use the 4pc (?) carbon seal (thanks KennyH, I learned this from him when I was first trying to rebuild a T3 over 10yr ago and had a lot of questions). I never ran one of those ford backing plates...I always switched to the Volvo plate when piecing together a 60trim cold side on a T3. The 60trim Ford compressor wheel fits with the backing plate from a 42trim 240 or 45trim 740 T3. Same "major" diameter.

A used T3 with good wheels and a turbine shaft that isn't scored should be about $100, +/- a little. The smaller volvo comp wheel would not be as desirable to some as the 60trim Ford wheel. A major rebuild kit used to be about $75, and anyone with basic skills with hand tools and some care and attention to detail can disassemble, clean, install some new parts, and reassemble/clock a T3. Even Ian Bill could almost put one together, except when he tightened the compressor backing plate unevenly and the shaft didn't turn...back up and try again.

Is this a for sale ad? I'll leave it here for now.

57w5Soc.jpg
y5fRQn0.jpg

Back