• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K-Jet Fuel Fitter Fitting Removal

snailmale

I'm having trouble breaking this side of the fuel filter fitting off. It looks like I need to put a wrench on one end and turn another of the hex.

I'm guessing one wrench goes on the filter, but does my second wrench go on the thin hex or the big hex? It looks like the thin & thick are either a single-piece fitting or are so badly corroded that they've become one...though my research suggests it's the former.

Obvious #2 question: I spin the filter-end of the fitting and not the side going to the line, right? Just need a sanity check.

Thanks!

8n09pcW.png

The hex closest to the hose is a female swivel fitting, that's the part that's supposed to turn. You should hold the one next to it with a wrench. Once you have the hose loose, the same goes for the other end. The hex closest to the metal fuel line is a female swivel, hold the elbow next to it with another wrench. Once you have filter out and drained you'll have to remove the fittings from the fuel filter and transfer them to the new filter, new metal gaskets should be supplied with your new filter. No smoking and put any rags you use to catch the spilled gas outside to air out.

Soak the fittings with a good penetrating oil (kroil) and use flare nut wrenches on both the fitting on the hose and on the thin hex fitting in the filter. Use long wrenches so you can set them up so you squeeze them together. When you reassemble use a liquid sealant like loctite 592 so it will seal easier and won't have to be turned so tight.

I like to wedge a wrench against the hood structure put another on the female fitting and give it a good wack with the plan of your hand.

You can use an impact on the n/a filter setup. But the turbo setup you can't fit impact on there. People always overtightend those fittings. Long wrenches and good leverage get them. Won't have to make them monster tight when you use a thread sealant. You can even use the liquid teflon sealant from home depot but loctite 592 is better.

As I recall a flare nut wrench didn't fit on the filter fitting. A well fitting open end worked there.

I use an impact on the under car filter setup and the n/a kjet filter on the n/a 81-82 cars. Saves a lot of pain. Gotta hold the filter in place really well. lol.

No Joke!

Keeps from breaking the nylon line at the banjo bolt.

Which used to be a problem, until I discovered the secret to working with nylon fuel line. If I break it, I just replace the whole piece of line, and done.

Update: I tackled some other jobs before coming back to this one, but it's still being stubborn.

E43ghuH.png

I tried a 12-point with a breaker bar but that was a very tight fit. I think it did more damage than good. I found that the 19mm flare wrench fit better than my long(er) open-end 19mm but when I put the 17mm on the male fitting on the other end, it just torqued the fuel filter.

Is there something else I'm missing? Figured I should stop and check before I round off the bolt. Also yes, I'll be getting some new high-pressure fuel line.

Get a 6 point socket to start out with.
Open end and flare wrenches can bend enough to slip. Use a cheater bar on the socket wrench handle if you're not strong enough. Lefty loosey, once you get the filter loose from the opposite end user a box end or socket wrench to hold the big nut part of the filter. I can't remember the size but it's 25 or 27mm I think. Or take it somewhere and have someone else do it, there will be gas spilled and I'd hate for you to get injured.

Last edited:
What’s up with all the foliage? Are some rodents starting to build a nest? Them beggars love to eat wires.

I use an impact on the under car filter setup and the n/a kjet filter on the n/a 81-82 cars. Saves a lot of pain. Gotta hold the filter in place really well. lol.

n/a K-Jet cars usually have the elbow and metal line, except for late 1982 and 1983 Canadian cars, plus the 760GLE. Most Turbo 240s will have the banjo bolt on the inlet, since only the 1981-early 1982 Turbo cars had the metal line with elbow. 12/81-1/82 was the changeover to the banjo bolt from the metal line and elbow. Five of my K-Jet cars had the metal line from the factory. A 1980 264GL B21F car, both of my 1981 242s, and my first two 1982 242s. The remainder either had the pre-240 filter setup in the middle of the firewall with a compression-style fitting on both ends, or had the banjo bolt. Both of my current 240s have the banjo bolt setup.

You can safely use the impact on the inlet for the late 1982 and newer K-Jet cars. Prevents you from destroying the nylon line when you try to loosen it with hand tools.

Get a 6 point socket to start out with.
Open end and flare wrenches can bend enough to slip. Use a cheater bar on the socket wrench handle if you're not strong enough. Lefty loosey, once you get the filter loose from the opposite end user a box end or socket wrench to hold the big nut part of the filter. I can't remember the size but it's 25 or 27mm I think. Or take it somewhere and have someone else do it, there will be gas spilled and I'd hate for you to get injured.

Sounds good. I'll try the cheater bar method tomorrow.

Spilled gas doesn't scare me anymore - I've mostly gotten over the trauma from changing the accumulator while street-parked (and the scar from the tray bracket healed too). :rofl:

What’s up with all the foliage? Are some rodents starting to build a nest? Them beggars love to eat wires.

No mice as I keep a cat on retainer for that purpose. Or is it the other way around? The needles are from when I parked it under a tree in its old spot.

Also wow, I just noticed the typo in the thread title.

Sounds good. I'll try the cheater bar method tomorrow.

Removal of the filter using Impact method as above for EFI cars:

The filter bracket is mounted with 2 Phillips screws which are easy to remove which allows room for impact tool. Next steps:
* 19mm socket on impact on the input banjo bolt to remove
* 7/8 wrench and 15mm flare-nut wrench loosen the filter
* 17mm socket on impact on the adapter fitting and 15mm flare-nut wrench on compression fitting nut to loosen adapter.

Install new filter as instructed above.

I need one of those rubber insulator inserts, bracket to filter, for my 83 245 Turbo Rescue, Anyone have such?

Man, I sure wish I had seen the above post before I took it out today, but that is basically how I got mine loose.

1.) Place rags underneath fitting.

2.) Remove fitting closest to pass side.

3.) Put big breaker bar with 19mm on banjo. Hold other end with 22mm. Use every ounce of strength to break the banjo loose. C'mon, use more strength!

4.) Spill gasoline everywhere. Drain what's left. Remark on how the previous owner had this installed while you were still in high school.

Back