• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to me '71 142

Sounds like the clay bar is a good start. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Actually it sits a little higher than the 122 when it was at it's lowest. I can get my jack out from under this one without setting it down on boards :lol:

Do you still have you bump stops in? The front cross member on mine with your setup was .5" off the ground.:omg:

^^Those are in the front. Needs something a little stiffer though. I've been thinking about going to the same height but 900# if I can find it. The rear is Kaplhenke adjustable perches and 5x8 250#.

Sorry, I have another question. Do the Kaplhenke adjustable perches work on the 140 without any modifications?

Well it's dead until I figure out what I want to do. I've been having a hell of a time getting it running again. My carbs need throttle shaft bushings so I tried another pair and I can't even get it to run now. I've been at it for two days and I'm just done with it for now. I can get it to start with the choke completely engaged but it will rev to about 4k. Any throttle at all will kill it. Backfires out of the carb like it's lean but no matter what I adjust it never gets any better.

I'm starting to suspect other things have gone awry but I can't seem to find anything. I wasn't planning to tear this car down until the 122 was done but it might be happening sooner than I wanted it to.

Kinda upset with myself for letting it sit this long. The engine/trans are currently out for resealing and cam/lifter replacement. I sent four carb bodies and a box full of parts to Maine and now have four usable, rebushed HIF6s coming back to me. I'm going to start working on getting the '74 power steering setup in the car before the engine goes back in. Any advice on where to get new high pressure hoses for that?

Probably gonna have to go through the brakes and replace the tires before it's roadworthy.

I've considered just dropping in an NA B230 with some spare SUs that I have but the effort outweighs the gains I think. Maybe someday when the 122 is further along and I have a better workspace. I think I would really like to swap in something completely different/non-Volvo one of these days.

Finally getting back to this car after letting it sit for way too long, buying a house, moving everything, letting it sit some more, and finally realizing it's much less work to get this car roadworthy than the 122. Gonna try to get this car knocked out and then get back on that one. I had checked the compression before removing the engine and all cylinders were between 147-152 with a freshly rebuilt F head. So I didn't tear down the shortblock. I replaced the cam with a good, used one and threw in some new lifters, painted everything, and got a few parts powdercoated. Resealed the M41 and I'm just going to go with it for now.

0IGPGu8.jpg

Bolted all the extra bits on with a Denso 80A alternator and bracket from Craig. Updated the wiring to 4ga.

WHreqBZ.jpg

bmnW0lN.jpg

New brake hoses all around. Whoever did the brakes last didn't use any copper washers on any of the old ones :oogle:

BFIK57d.jpg

NOS clutch cable that came with the car back when I bought it from Mike.

tVIlFkQ.jpg

New bushings for the trailing arms plus new, updated shock mounts and shock bushings.

tvgtj5C.jpg

YZr0r5O.jpg

tLoe4hD.jpg

Now I'm just trying to figure out why I have no spark out of the distributor. I picked up a new cap/rotor since I hadn't replaced it when I put it all back together. I pulled the Pertronix out and stuck the points and condenser back in but that wasn't the issue. I should have it sorted out today or tomorrow.

It’s not very nice but it was definitely nice to work on something that’s built the way it’s supposed to be for the most part instead of “**** why did I do it that way now I can’t get it out” like the 122.

Also, thanks to whoever moved this for me.

Last edited:
Kyle came up today and helped me get this thing running pretty well. I believe I need to adjust the float in the front carb as it seems to be starving a little going uphill which is causing a bit of a bog.

Otherwise the brakes bled out great and feel awesome after replacing literally every single brake part on the car, including the lines.

Love this car- definitely an inspiration/motivation for my 71 142.

Did you go with regular rubber lines or upgrade to HiPerfAuto lines?

Is that detroit green for the engine? Looks sharp!

It is! I remember a build thread here of a yellow 242 with a Detroit green engine bay and the two colors looked great together.

Love this car- definitely an inspiration/motivation for my 71 142.

Did you go with regular rubber lines or upgrade to HiPerfAuto lines?

Just regular rubber hoses from VP. This is a cruiser so no real reason to upgrade.

Now go wash the damn thing

I WASHED IT TODAY.

I’m still having an issue where the carbs have to be set super rich to run okay and it’s bogging as if they’re not synced. They’re synced at idle but I think there’s something wonky with my throttle linkage or the pistons aren’t rising the same. It’s pretty much acting the way it was when I stopped driving it three years ago. I might drop it off with my mechanic buddy so it’ll be ready for the spring and I can move on to other car/house projects.

Last edited:
I did finally get this car running good again with a "rebuilt" pair of HS6 carbs. By rebuilt I mean the ebay seller said so and then last year both jet tubes fell apart about 150 miles from home. Either way it still exists and I put new wheels on it.

ivIMd6p.jpg

old style jets are straight at the bottom. Newer style have a right angle. These require a different bottom plate.

Back