• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

m46 pilot bearing WTF ?!?!?!?!

940T_Drifter

Having m46 nightmares
My volvo mecanic insists that there is a place (like a hole) that the pilot bearing fits in.

I looked and looked and looked and have found NO WHERE to fit it in.......

Anybody have a drawing or a chart that can show me where it goes ?

Thx alot

Here ?

Rearseal.jpg

If so, I don't have a hole like that, I have like a male end popping out there.

It will not be happy about giving up it's male bit but will be tickled at the sex change operation. That male bit is often kind of rusted in there.......

Tightness

I had to use a torch on mine. If you do, just get it hot, then let it cool and spray some love lube on it. Then it will cooperate.

Like I said..... It will be at least as excited about giving up it's knob as one of us is likely to be..... You will have to give it some love.....
I used two sets of vice-grips and tapped it with a hammer whilst working the vice grips to and fro. Took half an hour or so.....

The pilot bearing will be much more excited about getting and out of there.

two more ideas

try getting a free loaner pilot bearing tool from a local parts store. i know autozone has them and there is only a deposit required. or you can just do what i did and fill the whole all the way up with grease and the get a drift punch or a pin the size of the whole and then whack it with a hammer. it works just like hydralics. just add more grease the more the bearing moves out. i just used a 1x1x6 peice of wood placed the new pilot bearing on one end and traced the inside of it. then, i sanded it down to the size of the circle about 2 inches down the length of the piece of wood. it worked just fine, didn't cost any thing and didn't have to have a torch to heat it up, or have the wrestle with a pair of big ass pliers.

Back