• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

Thanks guys! I finished the board layout today. Managed to get everything on to one side of the board. Next up is to draw a smaller dev/breakout board so we can determine the best backlight setup and gauge driving code.

Other then those fully LCD gauges, does no ones make MS driven gauges?

There are definitely dash manufacturers that make MS compatible product. I think either RacePak or AIM, or maybe both.

Is that round thing in the middle a knob or a needle?

That's the motor that moves the gauge. The small rod sticking out is the output shaft that the needle sits on.

We started working on the bellhousing.

Started out with some strips of 5mm 6082-T6 plate.
IMG_0504.JPG

The sheet metal roller in the shop couldn't cope with material of that thickness, so we decided to curve it by bending it in sections in the press.
IMG_0505.JPG

Alex tacked up the quarters after prepping the joints with some deep chamfers.
IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

The cone has a 230mm minor diameter, 275mm major diameter, and is 120mm tall.

Hoping to put some serious hours in this weekend, so stay tuned for more updates.

*Cursor on refresh*

Your wish is my command:

Made some more progress on the bellhousing today.

Started by roughing out the engine and torque tube mounting plates on the large rotary table. The smaller of the two plates is nested inside the other so we could get the most out of the available material.
IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

Cleaned up the outside of the torque tube plate and turned a step into it to hold the tapered section:
photo.JPG

The roughed out and un-contoured engine side plate is ~400mm in diameter which is pushing the limits of what fits in the big lathe without removing the bed extension. I had to get a little creative with tooling as well:
IMG_0522.JPG

The rough machined plate had about 0.5mm of clearance to the ways.
IMG_0523.JPG

Got the plates all roughed out and tacked together on this quick jig. Not visible in the photo is the plate the starter will bolt to. Now we just have to do some minor finishing and after that it's time for welding. All the important surfaces and dimensions have been left generously oversized. This will make the bellhousing easy to machine to spec after the parts have gone crooked from welding.
IMG_0526.JPG

Did some boogering:

IMG_0528.JPG

Reclaiming all the surfaces that warped during welding:
IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

Now it looks like an igloo:
IMG_0533.JPG

Next up is to bring the total thickness down to finished size, machine out a hole to clear the hydraulic throwout bearing, mill some pockets for the starter, and drill/ream some hole patterns.

Looks more like an old style "Top Hat" to me. Lookin' nice though.

Back