• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tail light conversion 90/92 740 on to 86 760

A

Anonymous

Hi all

I own a 86 760 and the tail light are damaged and I am looking at buying new or second hand tail lights. I like the look of the 90to92 740 tail light the type in this link (www.volvoworld.com/photo_pieces/3518171.jpg) and I would like to convert to these style of tail lights. Has any body got any information on this conversion

George

Cars I own

Restoration project
Personal import 1974 144gl B20a M40
1975 264gl B27e with Cr 5speed getreg box

Everyday car
1986 760GLE B28f/AW71

Cars I have owned
1982 244GL B23e/M45

I've done this:
Vl+8Rs0TfmPTSFNKAQPmPE8v24xE4RE40180.jpg

Wiring wise I had to get a wiring diagram from a dealer for the newer style lights because the haynes manual I had didn't have it. I cut the donor taillights wiring harness back where it lays under the carpet on the driver's side trunk well, that way I could hide where I spliced it in. The two different kinds of lights have relatively different wiring set ups. The older style lights have a dual filament bulb for a running light and brake light, and the newer style has no dual filament bulbs, it has a single bulb for each different light. This leads me to the only problem I've had with the new lights. I think because there isn't a dual filament bulb in the new lights it reads that there is a bulb out when there isn't. Everything works fine but the bulb out light in the instrument cluster stays on. I'm not great with electrical stuff and I have yet to have my electrician buddy come over to troubleshoot the problem (because the car's in storage five hours away from me).
The other problem is that the newer cars had different cut out's behind the taillights than the old cars. My car had two vertical strips of metal in each (relatively square) cutout, the newer cars have a more diamond shaped open cutout. You have to cut those two bands of metal in each cutout to get the new style lights to fit. I sawed the bands out then ground them down, prepped them with rust preventative and painted the ends.
It wasn't extremely hard to do, but it took longer than I thought it would. I recommend it though, it really cleans up the back end of the car. Good luck.

Thank you for that information. I hope to find and install the euro type filler panel in between the tail light as well

George

Cars I own

Restoration project
Personal import 1974 144gl B20a M40
1975 264gl B27e with Cr 5speed getreg box

Everyday car
1986 760GLE B28f/AW71

Cars I have owned
1982 244GL B23e/M45

Back