home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default Budget 350hp b230fk build (9.3:1 compression)

Hi All, I've created this thread in addition to my 745 project build thread, since I would like to keep the engine build seperate, since it might end up in some other project eventually. For this first update I'll start with the beginning, the block and inspection. (first pictures taken with potato, sorry)

Car Thread: https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=345041

Step 1: Buy a B230fk engine with all turbo bits, squirter block and thick rods

Step 2: Inspect and tear down said engine block, discover lack of oil changes by previous owner

Oil starvation on the rodbearings, not shown here but somewhat less on the crankshaft bearings.

Not the best starting point, but after some inspection, the cylinder walls look okay, the rods where already on the replace list, same for the pistons.

Step 3: Cleanup and block preparations

Oil port modifications

Cleanup with hone and drill (measurements were taken with calibers to assure within reasonoable spec)

Fresh paint

Removed Carbon, polished crankcase, ground oil return channels, cleaned up oil channels and mating surfaces.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Hacksaw116
Board Member

What's in the fridge?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default Getting serious: headwork

For part 2 of the build, it was time to get into some headwork, I chose to go for a mild port and polish, with cleanup of the valve seat to port area, slightly worked valve guides, a controversial dimple port since the stock volvo injectors which I intend to use in pairs are not really great in terms of atomisation. The head worked was a 530 casting, since this was my first experience porting, and 531's are hard to come by.

The stock head ready for disassembly

The stock port

Reworking the sharp edges and blending the valve seat and port gently with the dremel tool

Deshrouding the valves with the head gasket for reference

Changing the chambers to more represent the 531 head in terms of flame front propegation from the sparkplug

The finished chamber, dimple port also included

Polished up the valves to a shine in the drill press with cloth to protect the surface

Relapping the valves

CC'ing the chambers, worked out well

Installing KGTrimmning dual valve spring kit with light weight retainers, ready for 7k rpm

Assembled head, ready for installation, only relube and chamber polish required.
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw116 View Post
What's in the fridge?
Many things, including caffeine and swedish mustard (no joke)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Swedbrick
Board Member

Default Polish all the things!

For part 3, clearances and polishing, since the oil starvation had taken it's toll on the crankshaft and the rods, I decided to refinish the crankshaft, by chinabay rods, which would also have to be clearanced and got to work on several other important aspects.

The polished crankshaft, the shoestring and sandpaper trick was used whilst repeatedly checking with the fingernails and the calipers for correct clearances. The choice was made to be on the wide side of the stock clearance, which after polishing ended up being with the stock bearing size.

Polishing the set of chosen b230et pistons, with 3.6mm dish for 9.3:1 compression, for better torque and fuel consumption.

Side by side comparison of skirt thickness for old type ET pistons (right) vs FK/FT pistons (left)

The chinabay rods, suprisingly well matched in weight and split, but did have to clearance pin bore slightly and had to deburr and improve oiling hole on top of the small end, since the machining edges were terrible. (Still looking for arp grease, if anyone has some in the Netherlands!)

Balancing the pistons, rings, pins and rods.

Painted several bits, cleaned up carbon from stock cam and auxilary shaft

Restored turbo, ported and polished, rewelded worst of cracks, should hold for quite a while

Two TD04-13C turbo's, rebuild with a budget kit

Next up, manifold construction, which is still in the pipe's, so more progress will follow soon. The assembly of the block will be somewhere in december, so that will take a little while to get to.

Last edited by Swedbrick; 10-12-2018 at 04:18 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
photoman327
Board Member

Following along and finally doing a little work. Finally dove into the red wagon to see what the oil pressure issues were and pickup still slugged up and a torn transfer o ring caused oil starvation and bearings look like yours. I just changing the engine. This is movating me to think about a buget build also. Good start!!

Last edited by photoman327; 10-11-2018 at 08:16 PM..
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Satsukeshi
Board Member

Twin Turbo? This should be interesting

Upcoming Remix... 2.5l Big Turbo FunWagon
Satsukeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #8
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman327 View Post
Following along and finally doing a little work. Finally dove into the red wagon to see what the oil pressure issues were and pickup still slugged up and a torn transfer o ring caused oil starvation and bearings look like yours. I just changing the engine. This is movating me to think about a buget build also. Good start!!
Yes unfortunately a pretty common problem with these engines, especially since they are pretty bulletproof otherwise. If you get along to making a thread for your build, I'll most definately tag along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsukeshi View Post
Twin Turbo? This should be interesting
Indeed, more previews on the car build thread
Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 AM   #9
Sjeng
Board Member

I still have a little bit ARP grease left if needed.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
photoman327
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
Yes unfortunately a pretty common problem with these engines, especially since they are pretty bulletproof otherwise. If you get along to making a thread for your build, I'll most definately tag along!

Indeed, more previews on the car build thread
The guy I got it from told me he was not much on service and with the oil coming out in chuncks I expected issues but I ran so good. This one a simple buget built and all will be good. Problem is time and space. Got to clean up a lot. You pics get me pumped!
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
K9 240
Board Member

Looks like you're making good progress so far!
following with interest as I have a block on the stand as a work in progress.
If I could quiz you over a couple of things.....
I've not seen the oil port modification (in step 3) done before - what is the purpose/reason behind this? I've done some chamfering & blending of the oilways & am now wondering whether to do this before cleaning the block (again).
I've also been looking at the maXpeeding rods (strange name!) so very interested to see you using them. Could you elaborate on how you had to clearance the pin bore and any other thoughts you have about them.
Tim
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Gunna follow this thread closely. I have a 8,000 mile b230ft at home I want to twin turbo
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #13
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 240 View Post
Looks like you're making good progress so far!
following with interest as I have a block on the stand as a work in progress.
If I could quiz you over a couple of things.....
I've not seen the oil port modification (in step 3) done before - what is the purpose/reason behind this? I've done some chamfering & blending of the oilways & am now wondering whether to do this before cleaning the block (again).
I've also been looking at the maXpeeding rods (strange name!) so very interested to see you using them. Could you elaborate on how you had to clearance the pin bore and any other thoughts you have about them.
Tim
Hi Tim,

The oil port mod is to prevent swirl in the oil flow towards the head and to remove some resistance for the pump since the stock channel is just 3 holes drilled in a row. It was a whilst I'm in there kind of thing, just as the chamfering and blending of the oil channels which I also did.

The maxspeeding rods were clearanced since I cleaned up the pin bore, and prefer my pistons to not be pin-steered with a somewhat undefined clearance in a block that was designed to be crank steered as stock, so I followed the haynes manual for the stock spec of 'light thumb pressure'. I also was not too impressed with the machining work on the small end, so I removed all of the sharp edges, and added a chamfer to the oil port. I'm still in doubt about the provided ARP bolts, but from my research they seem very close to legit (we'll see if they hold), the only downside was the lack of provided grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
I still have a little bit ARP grease left if needed.
Hi Sjeng,

That would be awesome, would shipping be possible. Maybe this is best discussed via private messages