• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 Driver Door Sag

Murploid1

Hello,

I replaced the lower hinge on my 1982 240 (drivers) side door. I was hoping to fix some pretty bad sagging - however it made no difference at all.

Granted the hinge was used but it looked ok.

Is there anything I am missing here, can the door be adjusted with shims or what can be done to raise the door? It sags so badly it hits the edge of the rear door!

You want to carefully observe the hinge area when you move the door up and down. It will reveal whether it is a hinge that is bad. Or if it is the door metal or body metal that has cracked and will need to be welded. This can happen because people don't lube the hnges and latches at least annually.

After you fix it. Lubricate the hinges and latches with Wurth HHS Plus. You can also getr a pin grease tip on a grease gun and grease the hinges on an 82.

Define sagging. Is it sagging downward when it's nearly closed, or when it's all the way open? Since it has nearly 90 degrees of rotational freedom, we need to know which axes we're dealing with here.

I believe it’s sagging when it’s almost closed. So essentially the door is too low at the opposite end when I attempt to close it, as a result it hits the rear door upon closing. There is also a big gap at the top (opposite side of hinges).

Shims between the lower hinge and the mounting holes is one way to fix it. I do remember this being a fatigue issue, and like dl242gt says check for cracks where the hinges mount to the door as well as the body.

Shims between the lower hinge and the mounting holes is one way to fix it. I do remember this being a fatigue issue, and like dl242gt says check for cracks where the hinges mount to the door as well as the body.

I am trying to figure out how that would work?

If I add shims between the lower hings and the mounting holes how will that raise my door?

When I close the door it sticks out and there is a gap of around 1 inch at the top.

The hinges themselves are adjustable in their mounting holes. You can loosen the bolts and use a prop or another person to try and position the door better. If that doesn't work and there isn't any damage on the mounting metal. Then shims may be needed to help.

Get a floor jack and a piece of wood and place it under the door opposite the hinges. Loosen the hinges top and bottom and slowly raise the door. Make sure your are lifting the door and not the car. Tighten the bolts and check to see if the door is in the right place. Sometimes it helps to have a helper. The hinges adjust up, down , in and out. If your door still sticks out from the body you may to adjust the striker too.

I added a shim to the bottom hinge, it helped a little. The door still doesn’t sit flush when closed, and that’s after also adjusting the striker. I believe the top hinge may be worn or requires adjustment. Issue is that I cannot get to it to adjust, not sure I can get to it without removing the dash?

You don't have to remove the dash. Just open the door as far as it will go. If anything only loosen the hinge from the door and NOT from the body.

As said, the upper hinge bolts on the body side are accessible after removing some stuff in the area, but not the dash.

If you mess with those bolts, I recommend disconnecting the battery. When you put a ratchet on them, it will swing right by the fuse box. Bad things can happen, I have seen it and done it.

Back